Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 43)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2012, 01:31 PM

Ocelot - Minecraft Wiki
It will now follow the player, although not as strictly as wolves. They will avoid cacti and other obsticals as best as they can. They lack any sit or stay commands, although one may distract the cat so as not to follow into dangerous territory by placing a chicken in a fenced off area. They will still teleport to the player if they are too far away.
Ugh. I could deal with the first part if I could lock them in a house, but the teleporting part makes it weird.

map link: http://blazemkiv.dyndns.org/map/map.html
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jan 30, 2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: putting map at top of page)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2012, 02:21 PM

So, uh...

There's actually a good explanation for this. This is the South African language pack, and apparently all the language packs were crowd sourced to the community. Obviously, unless you speak the language you can't preview/edit it, thus...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2012, 03:25 PM

What is a Blaze rod? I haven't been able to get on all week, so m missing a lot, apparently.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
What is a Blaze rod? I haven't been able to get on all week, so m missing a lot, apparently.
An uncomfortably named item, considering our benevolent server host, used in brewing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2012, 03:38 PM

Needed for creating a brewing stand, and brewing fire resistance potions.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

Next up: Locate the Nether wart farm, and create a portal at the island retreat.

What would happen if we created a portal in a safe house at the fortress? Would it link to sek's or blaze's home portal?
In my nether safe house.
It will take you to whichever surface gate is closest. You'll need to compensate for this if you want to gate to your island. But the point for your island point would be on the bridge Sek built. And the point for the fortress would be way off in the woods to the west of my dome. Not convenient.

No one build gates between my dome, Andis house, Sargents lighthouse and the spawn. I'm planning a shortcut back via gates

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2012, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
In my nether safe house.
Unfortunate (for village dwellers).

You'll need to compensate for this if you want to gate to your island.
Yeah, I'm going to look into the math and see where a potential gate might land. (Assuming I even do it right)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2012, 05:36 PM

Quickest route for you to get to Blaze's nether safehouse would be via the Fatty Mountain portal.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2012, 12:58 AM

Well Andi I found it. The gate is broken and I haven't completely torched the spawner yet. Because I ran out. I'm gonna keep the exact location secret but lets just say in an Ender Eye directs you south of the village don't waste your time.

In Minecraft 1.0.0 there is a glitch where only 3 sides of the incomplete portal will spawn. The player will be unable to go to The End and will have to find a complete portal.

For some reason the melon won't grow.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Jan 29, 2012 at 01:32 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 29, 2012, 01:20 AM

Doesn't the soil have to be tilled?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2012, 01:23 AM

Doesn't the soil have to be tilled?
Not since 1.1. I even tried removing the block over the stem.

andi*pandi
Jan 29, 2012, 01:32 PM

Coolness.

Why do you need two pistons for the melon? Shouldn't just going up be enough to break it?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Coolness.

Why do you need two pistons for the melon? Shouldn't just going up be enough to break it?
The second one is designed to push the pieces off to the side.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Jan 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: it works!)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 30, 2012, 01:14 PM

Well Andi I found it. The gate is broken and I haven't completely torched the spawner yet. Because I ran out. I'm gonna keep the exact location secret but lets just say in an Ender Eye directs you south of the village don't waste your time.
You find that legit?

Not since 1.1. I even tried removing the block over the stem.
Well that's good to know. Screw tilling that melon patch behind my house ever again.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2012, 01:28 PM

This news is probably old hat for you guys, but LEGO is teaming up with Minecraft so you can submit structures you've built in Minecraft and have it turned into a buildable LEGO set.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
This news is probably old hat for you guys, but LEGO is teaming up with Minecraft so you can submit structures you've built in Minecraft and have it turned into a buildable LEGO set.
I should submit my dome and see if it realizes its unbuilt able in Lego and to see how many thousands of dollars it would cost.

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2012, 03:03 PM

In some respects I agree, you don't need special minecraft legos... but then again, a creeper figure and some special blocks would be fun.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2012, 05:05 PM

Creepers, Spiders, the tools, torches, reeds and wheat would need pieces. Include a bunch of sticker sheets for TNT, pumpkins, etc. Completely ignore redstone anything.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 30, 2012, 05:09 PM

A Minecraft Story

Alright, so this weekend I had a small stroke of genius. Since my spelunking adventures have been unfulfilling in the Gold & Diamond areas, I settled the Island to the North with the plan of eventually mining down brute force style, then branch mining a la sek. This would increase my chances of gaining precious resources.

However, my plan runs into the obvious all my plans suffer from: How will I create this mine? How will it look? With this a large hurdle with no solution in sight, and with my previous spelunking grounds still teeming with fresh avenues of exploration, I had a grand thought: Why not branch mine the caverns?

See, this set of caverns I found is endless. I've probably been exploring them for over two weeks now, and have been so vast I set up a mini base with a crafting table and chest (and later a bed, furnace, and double chest). Having that base to jump and return to, the task was made much easier.

So with only a yeoman's idea of what I was doing, I went to work. The areas were relatively clear of enemies thanks to previous exploration, and my travels had led me to ~12 to work from. My initial endeavors proved fruitful – 17 gold, but left me bitter as at that level diamond should be close to as common.

Ironically, the branch mining led me to new unexplored areas, which I would have to clear – after i wisely dumped my first haul at the base. The unexplored areas led to what I believe is someone else's explored areas and from there I set upon mining again. I began to get bitter as I collected gold yet again, until finally I hit a vein of 6 diamond. Sweet, sweet diamond.

The rest of my toiling would need me another 20 gold total to add to the previous 17, and in the 14 diamond – not enough to keep pace with the second haul of gold, let alone overall.

It also let me accumulate a good supply of cobblestone, which I had been considering acquiring from sek's ample stores. This cobble, has now been flipped to my next project which had been seeing time on the back burner thanks to both design and resource problems.

If you check the map today, you'll see the beginning of the intra-NPC town rail, which conveniently (Seriously, I couldn't have planned this) passes right by my mine. It's an open-air rail, meaning daylight travel is recommended. In the future, there may be a second rail that leads from the NPC village to our village, if I get the proper zoning permits.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 30, 2012, 05:10 PM

Oh, sek, I noticed our lumberjacking has had some serious repercussions on the land scape, so I'm taking it upon myself to go all green peace on our world. If anybody has any reg saplings they'd like to donate, I've been planting them around as I work on the rail.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2012, 05:17 PM

Feel free to take a stack of saplings from my base, I have deforested a huge amount of the woods near spawn.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 30, 2012, 05:33 PM

I forgot to mention, I have the big cavern I'm exploring/branch mining, I found one with a steep drop on my island which I haven't explored, I found another infested one on the walk between homes, and last night I discovered another while working on the Village Rail.

It's insane how infested with caverns this world or minecraft 1.0 is.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2012, 05:39 PM

It's an open-air rail, meaning daylight travel is recommended. In the future
...the skeletons which have been taking shelter under the trees will cut you to pieces as you pass by.

Yes they're adding that to their behavior. Its even higher priority than killing players.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 30, 2012, 05:40 PM

...the skeletons which have been taking shelter under the trees will cut you to pieces as you pass by.
That's a rather exciting prospect.

If it becomes a problem I can always do some controlled deforestation.

As it is, one area is loaded with sheep, so much so that I built the rail two high to make sure they didn't block the line. It's still possible in other areas, but this seemed the most likely.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2012, 06:02 PM

As it is, one area is loaded with sheep, so much so that I built the rail two high to make sure they didn't block the line. It's still possible in other areas, but this seemed the most likely.
So your saying I need to bury a rapid fire chicken cannon over there somewhere to get rid of my excess egg production? Actually that would be funny. Anyone know of a good bowl like depression that would provide some natural containment?

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2012, 06:34 PM

detector rail fires a launcher... that could be good.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 30, 2012, 06:57 PM

Didn't take long, stray sheep managed to block the rail.
Jeb, please add a cowcatcher.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2012, 11:40 AM

Well, I put a disgusting amount of time and effort in last night (bookending sessions of BF3). The rail, is 95% complete.

I also forgot that part of my plan was to create the graveyard somewhere along the route. Once I scout an appropriate area.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2012, 01:00 PM

Twitter
Yes creepers are running in the new ai system now. However they have a new weekness now...
Can't wait to hear what this means, in both cases.

Someone of the forums theorized taking away ladder climbing which would be the lamest nerf possible.

andi*pandi
Jan 31, 2012, 01:13 PM

creepers climb ladders? yeep.

"jonkagstrom @jonkagstrom
@setosorcerer Cool! I just wrote a module to open doors, but I havent put it on the creepers yet.. only on villagers so far
That would be evil.

I hope creeper weakness is water.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2012, 01:34 PM

creepers climb ladders? yeep.
If you've played this long and didn't know, it can't be that bad. All aggressive mobs can climb ladders, I believe. (Obviously spiders and Endermen don't need to)

I hope creeper weakness is water.
You spend a lot of time in water? That'd be useless, and that's already Endermen's domain, anyway.

andi*pandi
Jan 31, 2012, 01:39 PM

I has a bucket. And a moat.

But it is too much to ask I guess.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2012, 02:18 PM

My old moat used to eff their day up pretty well.

I was looking through old pics the other night. I kinda miss that world. I forgot how much I had accomplished.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2012, 02:34 PM

I miss the closeness of the neighborhood, and you guys did come up with some really good stuff, but my own creations in that world were absolutely terrible. Not to mention my dreadful mining system.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2012, 02:39 PM

my own creations in that world were absolutely terrible
Sustained

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2012, 02:40 PM

Well I'll be signing on tonight, what's the deal with that stronghold?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2012, 02:41 PM

It's got a firm grip.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2012, 02:44 PM

Sustained
Ha...jerk. It's okay for ME to say it.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2012, 02:47 PM

what's the deal with that stronghold?
The end portal is busted, I've raided it for everything but the fancy stone types. Was just a couple of pairs of iron boots. There are some caves that intersect it that aren't explored yet bu that's not news.

I don't know how far away you have to be for the ender eyes to send you to a different stronghold but that's were I ended up starting at my dome.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2012, 02:52 PM

Ha...jerk. It's okay for ME to say it.
Back-handed compliment for Jawbone: Did you take a course over the summer, or does having a kid magically make you a better designer? Because your buildings in this world are far better looking and placed than from the old world. Really love the four bed building.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2012, 03:03 PM

I can via MC edit pull in anything people want to see again. Monument valley maybe?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2012, 03:04 PM

I must've missed that. Last week we were on a partial media fast, and I didn't go back and re-read everything.

Anyhoo, gracias. I was acutely aware of how god-awful everything was in the old world, which is why I blew up the corporate HQ and eventually lost interest in the replacement project because it wasn't any better.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2012, 03:05 PM

I can via MC edit pull in anything people want to see again. Monument valley maybe?
I loved a lot of y'all's stuff from the old world, but perhaps it's best remembered rather than revisited?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2012, 03:17 PM

No giant Fry standing alone in some trackless desert pointing forlornly into the distance?

It would make a great direction guide at the spawn point.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2012, 03:17 PM

Good point. I'm up for that.

andi*pandi
Jan 31, 2012, 03:24 PM

I was just thinking that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2012, 03:56 PM

Monument Valley wasn't that great (It contains, after all, one giant tribute to ego, a second mostly finished tribute to your charity).

Anyway, Fry is a symbol of that land and that world. That's part of the reason I changed my skin upon joining this one.

(BTW, whatever happened to the world file? I wouldn't mind downloading it for my archives)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2012, 04:17 PM

I guess I forgot to zip it up and post it. /me makes a note.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2012, 04:18 PM

No rush, but I do have a friend's nephew I intend to show our shit off to eventually.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Well I'll be signing on tonight, what's the deal with that stronghold?
BTW, I'd be up for a run to it tonight. Need some cracked and mossy brick stone for the graveyard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules