Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8.6 -- HFS+ Startup troubles

8.6 -- HFS+ Startup troubles
tfrantz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 1999, 10:03 AM

PT 180e with PL G3-300/300

Two internal Drives and one external all running with HFS+.

Upgraded to 8.6 checked the update drivers box, no problems at all until today.

Locked-up while printing from IE 4.5, restarted with this message:
"This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest installer to update this disk for this model."

Loaded the 8.5 CD, to boot from. located Drive set up 1.7.2, updated the drivers on each disk, ran the 8.6 version of DFS, no problems found on any disk, restarted, same problem again.

It gives you the option to restart, only to give the message again.

Reloaded 8.5, clean install. Up and running now, and my files are there. I tried copying the folder that held the documents (localized web files) I was printing but it stops while copying and destroys the floppies I tried copying onto. Unrepairable with DFS. I am assuming data corruption of those files. Copied to another HD however and it worked fine. Same thing happened when I tried to move the files before I installed 8.5 again.

Already suffered an unexpected end of file error three months ago that forced me to wipe the HD clean.

HFS+ is making me very uneasy. Any thoughts on these issues?

Tim Frantz
Montgomery, AL

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules