Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iMovie '08 - 900+ minutes estimated for encoding. Is that normal?

iMovie '08 - 900+ minutes estimated for encoding. Is that normal?
Kyle76
May 23, 2008, 10:50 PM

I tried importing an mp4 movie file into imovie. it seemed to work, but then it said it was processing the file and creating thumbnails with an estimated time of 900+ minutes. Any idea what I did wrong?

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2008, 01:10 AM

You're on a slow machine with an inefficient app editing a large/complex movie?

Kyle76  (op)
May 24, 2008, 06:28 AM

It's a MBP with 2.4 mhz and 4 gigs of RAM. The movie is two hours of VHS home movies that a local company put on a disk in VOB. I downloaded the conversion program HandBrake to convert to mp4 on the MBP HD and then tried importing it into iMovie.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2008, 07:09 AM

How long did it take in reality?

Or did you just cancel, unaware that that first estimate on any installation/import/export is almost always absurdly high?

Kyle76  (op)
May 24, 2008, 07:15 AM

After about 10 minutes, I did a force quit. What was the program trying to do at that point? It went from 900+ minutes down to the high 800s. These movies are divided into about 24 chapters. Now when I open the program, and click on that file, there is some content there. It appears that each block the bottom of the screen represents about 4 seconds of video. They will play, but the program ends up shutting down after a minute or two. I guess I must get rid of that file and try to import again. How can I prevent the program from splitting up the video into so many small clips? It seems like that was what was taking so long.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2008, 12:21 PM

That's how iMovie works... '08 was a complete rewrite that many people don't like, you could try the previous version ('06, now free download from apple.com) to see if it does any better.

Kyle76  (op)
May 24, 2008, 07:34 PM

I downloaded 06, and it looks like it is only marginally quicker than 08. What the heck do these programs do when they import video that takes so long?

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2008, 11:51 AM

iMovie 06 goes through the entire video file and converts it entirely into DV.

iMovie 08 goes through the entire video file and creates a little preview image every 0.5 seconds, so that you can zoom in on the video clip. But it doesn't convert the video.

Forum Links
Forum Rules