Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New 4G iPod Crashes

New 4G iPod Crashes
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 07:09 AM

Has anyone had any problems with there 4G iPod Crashing? mine has crashed twice in 1 day. Just curious if anyone has had this problem.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 07:28 AM

Is the crash reproducible (e.g. a certain song)? Or just random?

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Krypton:
Is the crash reproducible (e.g. a certain song)? Or just random?
Random. I'm going to get all my songs off and reformat and see if that fixes it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2004, 11:22 AM

Do you have DiskWarrior? If so, try running it and see what results you get. I use it on my iPods every couple of months and I used it on my new Mini (and my g/f's new Mini) as they were both showing about 20%.
If not, try and run Disk Utility on it and see if that helps any.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Do you have DiskWarrior? If so, try running it and see what results you get. I use it on my iPods every couple of months and I used it on my new Mini (and my g/f's new Mini) as they were both showing about 20%.
If not, try and run Disk Utility on it and see if that helps any.
I've run DiskWarrior on it and it still crashes. I'm going to play with it more and see if it still does it after my restore. If so I'm going to see if I can get it replaced from Apple.

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 12:16 PM

So far it only seems to be Happening when I shuffle songs.

biscool
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2004, 01:43 AM

My 4g 20gb crashes too. It is random and you cannot make it crash, ie if it crashes starting a certain song, you can restart and try to play that song again and it will work. I have been to the apple store and they keep insisting one or more of my songs are corrupt....meh, thats not it. I just installed the new 3.0.1 update, lets see if it is fixed....

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 04:10 AM

What about after the latest update?

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by biscool:
My 4g 20gb crashes too. It is random and you cannot make it crash, ie if it crashes starting a certain song, you can restart and try to play that song again and it will work. I have been to the apple store and they keep insisting one or more of my songs are corrupt....meh, thats not it. I just installed the new 3.0.1 update, lets see if it is fixed....
So far I seem to have fixed it. What I did was and it was a real PAIN IN THE ASS was getting the songs off my iPod then restoring it then putting the songs back on it. I also updated to 3.0.1. HOpefully that will fix it.

biscool
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2004, 03:54 PM

No crashes since i updated last night. I bought this pod about a week and a half ago and it has crashed a least once a day since i got it. It went all day together without crash, I am about to go drive for about an hour, lets see if it makes the trip.....

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by biscool:
No crashes since i updated last night. I bought this pod about a week and a half ago and it has crashed a least once a day since i got it. It went all day together without crash, I am about to go drive for about an hour, lets see if it makes the trip.....
Same here. Mine did the same thing. but I've had mine for 2 days. Well it worked on my 45 minute trip to work today with out crazhing so it's good so far.

biscool
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2004, 01:02 AM

All is well, I noticed it took longer to load songs sometimes but no crashes....I am finally satisfied, the people at the apple store can kiss my ass, i knew the problem wasnt my files....

pysan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2004, 10:57 AM

I have a 2G 20Gb ipod, which although being over 2 years old, it still runs like a champ. However, this last week it has begun crashing numerous times a day. It is not reproducible, sometimes it will go for over an hour, other times not even for a whole song, and I usually listen to the same playlist, so it is not the songs on the ipod. In all the time I've had my ipod it has crashed maybe 2x, and now in the last week I think I am up to over 20-30x.

However, I was thinking back on what changed this past week, and I remembered that I installed the 3.01 update, and I'm thinking that while it helps the newer ipods, it somehow has caused mine to become unstable, so is there any way to backdown my ipod to an older version?

Do I just use the updater to restore to factory default, or is the system version part of the firmware that is not affected by a harddrive format? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
iMac G5 1.8 17" SD/768MB/80GB
iPod Mini 4gb Rev. B
external firewire 400 120GB drive

biscool
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by pysan:

However, I was thinking back on what changed this past week, and I remembered that I installed the 3.01 update, and I'm thinking that while it helps the newer ipods, it somehow has caused mine to become unstable, so is there any way to backdown my ipod to an older version?

Do I just use the updater to restore to factory default, or is the system version part of the firmware that is not affected by a harddrive format? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
You cannot install the 3.0.1 update on a 2g ipod. You can download the updater from software update but when you run it, the updater will tell you that you're ipod is up to date, because it is running 1.4 which is the latest for 2g pods.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules