Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question about LCD's...

Question about LCD's...
spcargt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2003, 08:49 PM

Hopefully someone can answer this for me. I'm just curious as to why my 19" CRT can handle a 1600x1200 resolution but a 19" LCD cannot? Is there a technical reason or a marketing reason behind this? I like to use 1600x1200 because I can fit more text on the screen, which is important to me as a programmer. It also comes in handy when I'm doing more than one thing at a time.

feldy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2003, 10:08 PM

Hopefully someone can answer this for me. I'm just curious as to why my 19" CRT can handle a 1600x1200 resolution but a 19" LCD cannot? Is there a technical reason or a marketing reason behind this? I like to use 1600x1200 because I can fit more text on the screen, which is important to me as a programmer. It also comes in handy when I'm doing more than one thing at a time.
The reason is purely technical. All LCD monitors have a single resolution which is determined by the number of crystals that are in its display matrix. It's possible for an LCD display to run at a lower resolution than its native resolution -- by interpolating the lower res pixels, but this will often result in fuzzy and chunky images. The reverse, displaying a higher resolution, simply isn't technically possible.

Having switched from higher-res 19" CRTs to lower-res 18" LCDs, I have to say the LCDs are far superior. They are so much easier on your eyes because there's no flicker like there is with CRTs (due to the electron beam sweeping across the screen).

spcargt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2003, 10:12 PM

Well that certainly explains it, thank you.

JB72
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by feldy:
The reason is purely technical. All LCD monitors have a single resolution which is determined by the number of crystals that are in its display matrix. It's possible for an LCD display to run at a lower resolution than its native resolution -- by interpolating the lower res pixels, but this will often result in fuzzy and chunky images. The reverse, displaying a higher resolution, simply isn't technically possible.

Having switched from higher-res 19" CRTs to lower-res 18" LCDs, I have to say the LCDs are far superior. They are so much easier on your eyes because there's no flicker like there is with CRTs (due to the electron beam sweeping across the screen).
(Score:5, Informative)

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by JB72:
(Score:5, Informative)
lol, too much /.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

JB72
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by RevEvs:
lol, too much /.
hehe

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2003, 03:49 PM

have you ever tried to work with a real sony trinitron?

NO flikkkkkerin' there! ;o)

spcargt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2003, 04:12 PM

My 19" CRT is a Sony Viao...GREAT monitor. However, it's absolutely HUGE. Which is why I'm contemplating switching to an LCD, more for it's size than anything else. But I really don't want to miss out on 1600x1200.

Forum Links
Forum Rules