Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > HP iPod doomed?

HP iPod doomed?
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2005, 11:02 AM

Hewlett-Packard, which recently entered into a strategic alliance with Apple to deliver HP-branded versions of the iPod under name 'iPod+ HP', has stopped placing orders for the digital music players with Apple Computer, AppleInsider has learned.

Hewlett-Packard is reportedly quarreling with Apple over a lack of price protection offered with the iPods it manufacturers through the Mac maker, possibly explaining why the two companies have yet to set a date for the rollout of the HP-branded iPod photo.

Without a set price protection policy from Apple, HP will be vulnerable to sudden iPod price cuts that would leave it biting the full cost of those reductions. Apple currently offers HP no price protection, whatsoever, on the two models it currently sells.

"I find it striking that even a company that is larger than Apple, and has better distribution channels, can�t get anywhere with them in terms of protection of their business model in the event that price drops take place down the road," said one reseller.

As a result of the dispute, HP has reportedly refuse to place any further orders for Apple's iPod. "HP won�t re-order manufacturing until Apple is willing to sit down at the table and agree to something that�s reasonable for both parties," a source close to the company said.

During Apple's Q1 2005 financial conference call on Wednesday, Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said that HP-branded iPods accounted for only 7% of the 4.58 million iPods sold during Apple's December quarter. Curiously, this figure rose just one percent from the previous quarter, even though both parties vouched that the December quarter would be marked by an increased presence of HP's iPod offerings.

HP's online store is currently out of stock of the 20GB iPod and retains only a limited supply of the 40GB iPod. Sales representatives for HPShopping.com confirmed that they ran out of 20GB iPods about a week ago and do not expect new shipments anytime soon.

Representatives from HP failed to return repeated phone calls for comment over the past 48 hours.

Apple Computer has a long standing policy of not communicating with AppleInsider, and hence declined to comment.
I wonder if people out there ReALLY want the Apple version even though they are the same? Wouldn't that be great brand loyalty?

I figured once the HP iPod got out in all the retail channels that it would quickly start to outsell the Apple iPod. Guess not.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2005, 11:13 AM

I really never saw the point of an HP branded iPod.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2005, 01:49 PM

Haha, niiiiicccceeeee.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2005, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
I did. I like knowing the fact that every HP computer out the door has iTunes bundled with it and on the Desktop. That leads to iTMS purchases more often than not, which leads to potential iPod sales, which leads to a nicer car for Steve Jobs in the long run.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 15, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
The point is that HP has a MUCH larger retail distribution network than Apple, so the HP iPod is being sold in many more stores than Apple's could hope to be.

tooki

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
The point is that HP has a MUCH larger retail distribution network than Apple, so the HP iPod is being sold in many more stores than Apple's could hope to be.

tooki
yet they only accounted for 7% of sales.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2005, 06:29 PM

Hey Apple ... I know that we are only selling a small number of iPods, but why don't you kick in and make the deal even sweeter for us or else.

Sheesh .... <sigh>

I deal with this company (HP) a lot. Apparently they are a PITA with everyone ....
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 06:33 PM

I think Apple has realized that the name iPod is enough at this point to sell the things, and they really aren't in need of help from HP.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 06:44 PM

Ok, I had to buy a couple of 20 GB iPods for christmas and could not find any. i end up buying a couple of HP iPods for the same price.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by cenutrio:
Ok, I had to buy a couple of 20 GB iPods for christmas and could not find any. i end up buying a couple of HP iPods for the same price.

Apple.com?????

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 18, 2005, 04:05 AM

tooki
I know folks who were just waiting for it to pop up in Staples so they could do the Staples rebate/coupon for anything in the store- easy way to rack up big discounts on the iPod.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2005, 08:04 AM

Did it ever make it into Staples?

I did see a few 40GB models on the clearance table in BJ's wholesale in November. They were going for like $350 - $375. A few were open-box.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2005, 09:03 AM

tooki
If that was the point, why is Apple treating HP so crappily (ie: no price protection)

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
Apple.com?????

I need them fast, very fast (24h)
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Dalhectar
Jan 19, 2005, 12:12 AM

The best thing I saw out of HP and their deal with Apple was with their Media Center PC, which is the only Media Center OS PC that allows for the purchase of iTMS music within MS Media Center. HP had to write its own Media Center module to support iTMS, and it doesn't integrate with MS' music features, but the fact there was ANY support was a good step.

Forum Links
Forum Rules