Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > first run today with my iPod Shuffle

first run today with my iPod Shuffle
rtdunham
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2005, 01:08 AM

put in just under 5 miles with my Shuffle today (bought it at the apple store in san fran hours after steve announced them) and couldn't be happier.

It's got 118 songs + 9 hrs 57 mins of audio books on it. It's the 512 MB model.

BTW, i learned during my run that even when in random play mode, the BACK button takes you back to the previously played song in the playlist.

And though this may be old news to some of you, i learned earlier in my ownership that if you're listening to a long audio book and pause, play resumes where you paused; turn the Shuffle off, turn it on later, and play resumes where you stopped. Forward from an audio book to a song, and go back later to the audio book, and play resumes where you left it. Seamless.

Now i've just got to figure out what to do with those damn long earphone cords. I'm sure a time will come when i want to run with the shuffle strapped to my shoe, and i'll be glad the cords are so long (sarcasm). But under normal circumstances, they get in the way, hook on doorknobs, the arms of chairs, or my own arms. I tie a loose loop thru 'em to shorten them. But on my run i stuffed the whole thing, shuffle & cords, inside my shirt. It's small enough and light enough that it was completely unnoticeable, so that was a good way to keep it out of the way. And when i did want to pause or change songs, I just dug it out from underneath my shirt. with a little practice i could probably press tshe right buttons thru my t-shirt (running in florida).

peace
terry

Oh, and yeah, i WOULD like a model some day with a one-line display: Two modes, one for music & one for time. Music would show the name of the song--i'd really like to be able to check that when i hear a song i particularly like. Time would show time, but it's easy to imagine Apple engineering it so the present buttons would switch to a stopwatch, start and stop it, and re-set it. Yeah, I know, that would only be providing functions cheap and easy to "carry" wristwatches provide. But it would be an added cool factor. TD

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 01:25 AM

Does it charge in the USB port when the computer is asleep?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
That all depends upon your computer. Late model Macs do, early models don't.

Chris

ender2002
Senior User
Jan 19, 2005, 01:41 AM

can you post pictures. i am addicted. i need pictures.

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2005, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
That all depends upon your computer. Late model Macs do, early models don't.
How late could early be?
A process known as distributed computing helped map the human genome.

Now it's being used to find cures for cancer, ALS, alzheimer's and other diseases.

You can help by running a piece of software in the background. It's easy, free, and fun!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 02:14 AM

All the iBooks I've had charged the iPod through the firewire port when asleep. And my current aluminum powerbook does that and also charges the iPod shuffle when asleep. My guess is that most machines younger than about 2-3 years old will charge while asleep.

Chris

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
All the iBooks I've had charged the iPod through the firewire port when asleep. And my current aluminum powerbook does that and also charges the iPod shuffle when asleep. My guess is that most machines younger than about 2-3 years old will charge while asleep.

Chris
That is firewire though, USB is bitchier.

I have a dual G5.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2005, 02:54 AM

You should look into other headphones. I have a couple of sets of Sony 71s, one for the bedroom, one for the road/gym. The cords have an extension which is nice if you want it to be short. Sounds better too, imo.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 09:59 AM

That is firewire though, USB is bitchier.

I have a dual G5.
Does the Dual G5 provide power to the USB port while asleep? My AL Powerbook does. Maybe there is a difference between desktops and laptops.

Chris

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2005, 11:27 AM

I plugged a microshaft optical mouse into the USB port of my iBook 600 and its sensor light turned off when I went into sleep mode. Is that test viable enough to determine that this USB port will not allow recharge during sleep mode?
A process known as distributed computing helped map the human genome.

Now it's being used to find cures for cancer, ALS, alzheimer's and other diseases.

You can help by running a piece of software in the background. It's easy, free, and fun!

Dalhectar
Jan 19, 2005, 11:35 AM

I never run with the iPod headphones. I use Sonys when I run.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 11:46 AM

@rtdunham. i should have asked you to buy me one, i would have driven from (clearwater) to your house and gotten it. i can't find any around here.

is the cable length the same as it is on the regular ipod?

powerbook awake | power plugged in | ipod will charge
powerbook asleep | power plugged in | ipod will charge
powerbook awake | battery power | ipod will charge
powerbook asleep | battery power | ipod will not charge

that is what i have found.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by rtdunham:

Now i've just got to figure out what to do with those damn long earphone cords. I'm sure a time will come when i want to run with the shuffle strapped to my shoe, and i'll be glad the cords are so long (sarcasm). But under normal circumstances, they get in the way, hook on doorknobs, the arms of chairs, or my own arms. I tie a loose loop thru 'em to shorten them. But on my run i stuffed the whole thing, shuffle & cords, inside my shirt. It's small enough and light enough that it was completely unnoticeable, so that was a good way to keep it out of the way. And when i did want to pause or change songs, I just dug it out from underneath my shirt. with a little practice i could probably press tshe right buttons thru my t-shirt (running in florida).
I just ordered a few of these yesterday.

found here

I can't give a review till I get them but I'm hoping it solves the long/tangled headphone problems.

I use my iPod almost every day which means I have to untangled the damn wires every time as well.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 12:56 PM

Do you plan on asking that question in every shuffle thread?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2005, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
I just ordered a few of these yesterday.

found here

I can't give a review till I get them but I'm hoping it solves the long/tangled headphone problems.

I use my iPod almost every day which means I have to untangled the damn wires every time as well.
Great idea, but if they're made of silicone, wouldn't they be heavy enough to whack the headphones out of your ears when running?

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Great idea, but if they're made of silicone, wouldn't they be heavy enough to whack the headphones out of your ears when running?
I thought that same thing. I read a couple reviews (on the web site), and none of them mention that problem. I think the thing is pretty light. Probably the same weight as a Shuffle?

Maybe if you wrapped it closer to the iPod and left a little slack? I don't know. Should get mine in a couple weeks. I'll follow up when it arrives.

It is a great idea. One of those "I wish I thought of it' ones.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Do you plan on asking that question in every shuffle thread?
Call be crazy and all but I think it is a very important question as it effects EVERYONE and nobody can answer the question.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Call be crazy and all but I think it is a very important question as it effects EVERYONE and nobody can answer the question.
Well I have always thought Bea was a little crazy.

As for you, I'm sure someone will test it for sure this weekend. Hell I promise to test it myself on my PowerBook.
( Last edited by JHromadka; Jan 20, 2005 at 12:43 AM. )

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Well I have always thought Bea was a little crazy.

Ya she's nuts, but god bless her.

Did you know so insists on driving with no shoes on?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 03:37 PM

Isn't that illegl in some states? and who is so anyway?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

The Mick
Senior User
Jan 19, 2005, 10:57 PM

Just got my 512 MB shuffle today and tried it. In the front USB port of my G5 1.6 GHz machine, when I put the machine to sleep the iPod Shuffle stops charging. Bummer! Upon waking back up it resumes charging almost immediately. Oh well, it gets such good battery life in the reviews that I'll only need to charge it once every 1.5 weeks or so. Obviously this is not a knock on the shuffle but a limitation of the G5...

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules