Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why weird file formats?

Why weird file formats?
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 01:51 PM

Moving work files from a G4 tower to a new G4 laptop (OS9 to OSX). The big problem is that when I copy all the data (35Gb) onto an external Firewire drive the files show up as the wrong format when connected to the Powerbook. For example Quark files show up as Unix executable files etc.

I have rebuilt the desktop on the tower but it's still the same.

Weirdly if I connect the Powerbook directly to the tower via ethernet then all the files show up fine.

Any ideas
as it would be good to be able to stick the files on the firewire drive to transport to where the laptop will be.

Cheers

Andrew

Dalhectar
Feb 16, 2005, 02:07 PM

I find that OS9 can't write metadata to FAT32 formatted disks. Two possible fixes:

1. Format your FireWire drive on the OS9 machine as a HFS+ disk

2. make a read write disk image on the firewire drive from your OS9 computer, copy all the data you want to transfer to the disk image, and then dismount and remount the disk image on the OSX computer. That way you won't lose metadata and won't have to resort to reformatting the drive.

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 03:47 PM

I thought it might be some drive format thing. When viewed in the finder of the PowerBook each folder has another folder called RESOURCE with what I assume are the resource forks for the files.

I will probably go with the format option as this seems the better fix for the long term.

Forum Links
Forum Rules