Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can you reuse the flat iMac monitor - ?

Can you reuse the flat iMac monitor - ?
profdorian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2005, 08:40 AM

My flat screen dome imac is nearing the end of its life and I am wondering if there is a way to reuse of modify its 17" flat screen; is there a way to make some kind of modification so that I could hook it up to a mini?

thanks for any help or ideas

-d

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 2, 2005, 10:13 AM

Probably not.

What's wrong with the iMac?

tooki

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2005, 11:38 AM

That what sucks about the iMacs. You're throwing away a perfectly good monitor when the computer dies...
iMac 17"/1.8 GHz/1.5 GB RAM/160 GB HD/SD/BT/AP/10.4.1 Tiger
iPod nano White/4 GB

cleanup.tk | cleanup.devart

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2005, 01:08 PM

I repeat, to my knowledge, no one has figured out how to hack a built in LCD from a laptop or iMac to use it as a display from another device.

Maybe if someone could get a hold of the schematics for the entire machine, and the schematics for a typical LCD, someone with an engineering degree could figure out how to do it, but I have yet to see it happen.

At least on the old iMac G3s, they used a standard VGA connector internally and could be used as an extra display without too much trouble. These LCDs do not have that connector in them. Just 5 wires...
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Sep 2, 2005 at 01:23 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

P
Sep 2, 2005, 02:13 PM

Where did you have that instruction on how to use an old iMac G3 as an extra monitor?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2005, 04:55 PM

Just take dang thing apart and you'll find the DB15 pin connector inside (the old-style mac video connector). The trick is how to power the monitor since you are not using the computer. If the computer still works, just power it up normally and let the other CPU drive the monitor.

This pic shows the VGA cable you would connect to the other CPU (using an extension cable M-F).

I don't think this works with the slot-loaders that have an external VGA out connector, unless there is another VGA connector inside you can tap into.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 3, 2005, 01:33 AM

Strictly speaking, that is not a VGA connector, but an old-style Mac monitor plug, just FYI.

Pretty much every laptop and desktop with integrated LCD use standard LVDS signaling as the display connection; adapters for this are available. But unless you're buying 100,000 pieces at once, they're prohibitively expensive.

Again, what's wrong with the iMac?

tooki

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2005, 02:47 PM

The trick is how to power the monitor since you are not using the computer. If the computer still works, just power it up normally and let the other CPU drive the monitor.

ok I tried that awhile ago, and I could never get the moniter to work with another computer. I tried 3 different pc's, some older macs, some newer macs, and none of them would make the moniter fire up. The iMac still works, but i use it as a server now, but getting the moniter to sync with another computer would never work.

Is there a website that has more info on making it work?
w3rd..
surrey represent

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 12:49 AM

i think the flyback transformer is shot
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Microsoft Products are Generally Bug Free"
-- Bill Gates[/FONT]

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 12:58 AM

Being a idiot when it comes to graphics cards, could this drive a LVDS monitor? It says "Enhanced TwinView dual-display architecture supporting any combination of notebook LCD, desktop VGA monitor, DVI display or TV set...Integrated dual LVDS Transmitter supporting LCD panels up to 2048x1536"
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Microsoft Products are Generally Bug Free"
-- Bill Gates[/FONT]

yikes600
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2005, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by cleanup
That what sucks about the iMacs. You're throwing away a perfectly good monitor when the computer dies...
Or in the case with my iMac, throwing away a perfectly good computer when the monitor died

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Strictly speaking, that is not a VGA connector, but an old-style Mac monitor plug, just FYI.
You are right, tooki. I should have clarified.

A VGA connector is an HD-15 sub-D connector, while the connector in the G3 iMacs is a DB-15 connector, also known as an (old style) Apple Monitor connector.

Well... it was a standard Apple connector until the B&W G3s came out (or were they used on beige G3s before that?).

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2005, 04:14 PM

use it as a serving dish for a coffee table...thats what i'd do.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 8, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Well... it was a standard Apple connector until the B&W G3s came out (or were they used on beige G3s before that?).
No, you are correct. All beige Macs, including the G3, used the Apple connector. (Though by the G3 era, the clone makers had already shipped machines with both Apple and regular VGA connectors.)

tooki

ptb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 07:57 PM

Is it possible to connect the panel to a EPIA main board with LVDS connector?

Forum Links
Forum Rules