Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > HOW MANY CLICKS to get to "contrast?"

HOW MANY CLICKS to get to "contrast?"
spookymulder825
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 08:07 PM

To make a long story short, I just need to know how many clicks it takes to get to the "contrast" part of the settings menu, since my contrast is so low I can't see.

And here's the long story...

Hello.

I have a third-generation iPod... it's worked fine for more than a year now, but today it decided to bring its own contrast setting down to 0. The backlight still came on, and even the clicker still worked, but the screen looked totally blank; I couldn't see anything on it, even from different angles, using different lighting, etc. I tried resetting, then restoring, then updating (I'm now using the version of the system software that comes with "iPod Updater 2005-09-23"); nothing has helped. Now, after a fresh installation of the latest system software, I think I've gotten through the initial screen where you pick your language (I heard lots of clicks scrolling once from top to bottom), so I must be in the main menu (four clicks going from top to bottom). Can anyone tell me how many clicks (from top to bottom) it will take to get to the settings screen, and then how many clicks it will take to get to "Contrast?"

Or is there an easier way to fix it?

Thanks.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 08:56 PM

Starting from the main menu, go CCW to be sure you are at the top.

3 clicks CW, enter, 7 clicks CW, enter, then CW to increase contrast.

post back if it works!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

spookymulder825  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 09:23 PM

No, it doesn't - thanks, though.

'"}{/quote}
Baninated
Sep 29, 2005, 09:41 PM

Screen probably got disconnected. Time to open it up and reattach the little screen cable.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 10:01 PM

Hold down the menu button a few seconds past the backlight to reset the contrast to factory settings.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

spookymulder825  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 10:29 PM

Could the screen be disconnected if the backlight is still working? (If that's the case, I'll just bring it to the store, I have one of those two-year performance service plans.)

And I've already tried the "holding down the menu button" thing, it didn't work.

misc
Sep 29, 2005, 11:24 PM

Even when your contrast is turned all the way down you can still see it very lightly. It sounds like your screen is no longer connected.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

spookymulder825  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2005, 12:56 AM

Turned out that it was the screen...

AND I FIXED IT!

I was going to open the case to get to the screen, but just as I took the back off, the screen came back to life.

Opening the case was actually pretty easy (I did it with guitar picks, though; not a screwdriver).

Thanks for all the help!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 08:19 PM

Woo hoo!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules