Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Nike+ / Nano--anyone tried it?

Nike+ / Nano--anyone tried it? (Page 2)
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 12:14 AM

what i can say after having this thing for a while is that i have been jogging/walking more than i have the last year alone. to whoever thought of this thing

belfast-biker
Jul 25, 2006, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by alligator
My new Nike shirt arrives tomorrow. Short sleeves, vented and a pocket for the Nano. A little pricey, but hey, if it gets me running - isn't it worth it? It also has a spot to keep my headphone cord out of my face and hands when running.

I wish I could wear the techical fibres of these sort of sweat-wicking shirts... but they irritate my skin. Especially in heat. Can just about get awawy with Merino wool if I turn it inside out...

Even then, meh.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 05:35 PM

Man, it's too damn hot to run! We've had 100+ degrees weather in my area for the past 4 days. I just checked the MacNN Century club stats and I'm currently in last place. I've got some serious catching up to do.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 10:09 PM

Are you kidding me? I just set a personal mile best tonight in 80+ degree heat. Of course, I had on a new Nike short sleeve wicking shirt that made me feel like a million bucks. Had to look good running, and of course, that meant running fast. I got hot, that's for sure. But a personal best mile! Alright!

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 25, 2006, 11:50 PM

well done.
still waiting on my order. and for this 80+ (both degree AND humidity) to cease as well.
everyone seems pretty pleased with their units so far tho.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2006, 12:16 AM

I just tried this thing out for the first time today. I calibrated it as best I could, using Gmap pedometer to chart a 400m course. Unfortunately, when I did my full run with it, it seems the sensor overestimated my actual distance by a significant amount (3.35 miles vs. 2.99), resulting in a pretty amazing new 1 mile best. Too bad it's so obviously wrong

I'll try to calibrate it more accurately at some point.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 12:35 PM

I have a 1/4 mile track near me in NYC and I would think many people can find one at a high school or college. Calibrating on a measured track is probably the best way to go. Not sure about calibrating on a treadmill.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

itguy05
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2006, 01:00 PM

While the Gmap Pedometer is pretty cool, it's also wildly innacurate. You're picking points along a road and if your points don't exactly match up with what you actually run (or you cut corners, etc) you're going to be way off.

Not to mention the fact that it's on a map, which may or may not be acuurate.

Best way to calbrate is:
1) Measured track
2) Run with one of those wheel thingys that surveyors use
3) Drive it (although this is inaccurate as well unless you run in the middle of the road)
4) Treadmill (these can be very innacurate as well as the belt and motor heats up)
5) GPS
6) Gmaps

Lucky for me it was amazingly accurate out of the box with the drive method. At least close enough for me.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2006, 04:33 PM

I picked my points along the path that I actually run, which you can pretty easily see in the satellite view. Additionally, Gmap Pedometer reports distances very consistent with what the local park board says for distances around the local lakes.

I think it's more accurate than you may realize, or than your own usage of it may allow.

GoDucks
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2006, 08:37 AM

Just thought I'd add to the list of impressed users. I think I'm one of the first to use this in Canada (Apple Canada won't have these things in stock until the middle of August) and just loved it. Ran along Lake Ontario and enjoyed my first ever outside run other than a few road races. Having all of the data was AWESOME. These things will do very well - especially whan the mainstream discovers them. I got in a 5K after dinner last night which was a nice extra workout because I never would have gone to the gym at that time...

Anyway - for those of you in Toronto looking to get set up early, the Nike Store on Bloor Street has the Nike+ shoes in stock. As for the Nike+ kit, I just bought one on E-Bay and had it shipped up to Canada.

itguy05
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
I picked my points along the path that I actually run, which you can pretty easily see in the satellite view. Additionally, Gmap Pedometer reports distances very consistent with what the local park board says for distances around the local lakes.

I think it's more accurate than you may realize, or than your own usage of it may allow.
Glad to hear it's working for you - it does seem to be a neat concept.

For me it wasn't all that consistent - close enough for a rough estimate of the path I run on, but off by enough to cause concern for calibrating the Nike sensor. However my path involves a lot of curvy roads and that may account for the variations.

vp911
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 09:35 PM

I love it; works like a charm and the few places I have tried it without calibration - it appears to be fairly accurate.

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 04:25 PM

Got mine last week and it is awesome. Only problem I've seen (and just once, at that) is that the volume failed to come back up after it faded out for the voice to tell me my current stats. Turning it off didn't fix it but resetting the ipod did (holding down menu + middle button). I had the sensor tucked in my laces of my Asics GT2090's for a while but just yesterday cut a hole in the sole of my shoe, just around where it goes in the Nike+ shoes, and placed the sensor in there. It immediately became more accurate. Before, I was jogging at a decent pace and it was telling me I was running a 10 minute mile when I knew I was going much faster than that. After placing it in the sole it was registering an 8 minute mile - much more accurate. Granted, I wear orthotics on top of the sole, so I can't feel the sensor, so this solution isn't for everyone.

I also got the Nike+ armband and it works great. Kinda pricey at $29 but it fits the nano and the sensor well AND its adjustable. Now all I need are better headphones. The regular ipod headphones work OK but near the end of my workout they get kinda sweaty and slip out (gross, I know).

scrmblr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 05:14 AM

I have used the kit for 3 runs, 2 walks so far. I calibrated it for the run, and the walk in the claibration section of the device. I did so on the same treadmill, walking 1 mile calibrating, switching modes then running a mile calibrating that section too. It now seems very accurate.
I shrink-wrapped the shoes pod in one of those food-sealer devices cut the wrapping down some, attached velcro, and now it is waterproof, stable, and secure in my laces (I can still access the radio-off button the back easily).
Nike.com now allows you to delete runs so you can do some practise runs without gumming up your "official" record. Easy to use, and visually pleasing.
The voice and feedback are awesome, and keep me rolling down the treadmill.

Enjoy!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2006, 11:12 PM

mrgaskell
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 01:33 AM

I had the Nike Shoe Wallet thingy for a while, but in the end I just made a small incision, just enough to squeeze the sensor in on the tongue of my left shoe. I then calibrated it and found that I had been getting cheated for about .2 miles on each of my runs!

I would STRONGLY suggest calibrating the sensor. You may be either working harder than you wanted or getting cheated for mileage on your challenges.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

nbnz
Senior User
Aug 10, 2006, 12:46 PM

Adidas & Polar now have a very similar system - using a sensor in the sold of adidas shoes to communicate with the polar watches. http://www.adidas-polar.com/phase3/index.html

Edit: Just found this Adidas/Polar system was first announced August 2005!
( Last edited by nbnz; Aug 10, 2006 at 12:57 PM. )
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules