Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook pro & Vista RTM

Macbook pro & Vista RTM
tambur123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 01:05 AM

I recently installed Vista RTM on my macbook pro (2.16ghz core 2 duo, 1gb ram, 120gb hdd) and i've got the Windows Experience Base score of 4.3:

Processor:5.0
RAM:4.5
Graphics:4.6
Gaming graphics:4.8
*Primary hard disk:4.3

I've read on other mac forums that a macbook pro with c2d 2.33 ghz with 2 gb ram and identical hdd has a Windows Experience Base score of 4.7

Processor:5.2
RAM:4.7
Graphics 4.9
Gaming graphics 4.9
*Primary hard disk 4.8

My only concern is why my mbp "primary hard disk" scores only 4.3 instead of 4.8 given the fact that both have identical hdds???
Does the increased processor speed and RAM affect the hdd performance that much?
Could i have a faulty hdd and have it replaced?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 02:17 AM

Well, if it runs OS X, I doubt you'd have a valid argument to get a replacement drive. Unless of course you show very poor performance in OS X.

tambur123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
Well, if it runs OS X, I doubt you'd have a valid argument to get a replacement drive. Unless of course you show very poor performance in OS X.
I believe this is not what i asked.

Dalhectar
Nov 18, 2006, 11:26 AM

2 things come to mind.

Are the hard drive models the same? Barefeats has found that they use different models for the same 160GB spec drive.

Also, the amount of free space on the drive and level of defragmentation might also impact how well a hard drive test runs on a given hard drive.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2006, 01:50 PM

4.3? Does anything get a 5? o.O

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2006, 02:11 PM

4.3 out of 10 just about sums up my experience of Windows too

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by tambur123 View Post

He answered your question, you wanted to know if in fact you may have a faulty HDD because the Vista Experience score was lower than your friend's machine. If your computer runs OSX fine which is what it is actually intended to do then there's nothing wrong. Apple does not support Windows in any way, shape or form, they just offer the gateway so you are on your own. It would look really weird to Ask Apple to replace your hard drive because the Windows Vista score appears to be lower than what's expected. They would never do that.

Now one thing to note, you are not running the retail released version of Vista so experiences between computers can vary however you basically answered your own question, you asked if the score would be higher because your friend's Mac has a faster processor? Under most cases that's the situation. But if it runs fine, just enjoy it, numbers are not important but just remember you will get very limited support on this forum when it comes to Windows specific questions.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2006, 03:16 PM

i have a 2.33ghz c2d macbook pro and my vista experience is 4.8
running x64 vista version
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by tambur123 View Post
In that case, yes if you have a faulty drive, you should have it replaced.

But, you gave us the context in which you use Windows as a testbed i.e., ≠ argument for replacement. So whatever you believe, you weren't exactly making clear.

tambur123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
He answered your question, you wanted to know if in fact you may have a faulty HDD because the Vista Experience score was lower than your friend's machine. If your computer runs OSX fine which is what it is actually intended to do then there's nothing wrong. Apple does not support Windows in any way, shape or form, they just offer the gateway so you are on your own. It would look really weird to Ask Apple to replace your hard drive because the Windows Vista score appears to be lower than what's expected. They would never do that.

Now one thing to note, you are not running the retail released version of Vista so experiences between computers can vary however you basically answered your own question, you asked if the score would be higher because your friend's Mac has a faster processor? Under most cases that's the situation. But if it runs fine, just enjoy it, numbers are not important but just remember you will get very limited support on this forum when it comes to Windows specific questions.

1. I didn't bought the computer from apple so i can return it no questions asked. I'll just pick another one identical or i'll have the drive upgrated for an extra $100.

2. I'm running Vista Ultimatex64 Release To Manufacturing 6000.16386.061101-2205.

Thanks for your answer.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 06:14 PM

hldan: RTM = final

Anyway, the reason for the discrepancy in the scores is obvious. Hard drives perform fastest when the head is reading/writing the outside of the platter as opposed to the inside. Depending on how large you've made your Windows partition, you could be reading closer to the end of the drive (where it's slowest) compared to the user with the C2D, who may be reading/writing to a slightly faster area.

That would account for the discrepancy in scores given the same drivers/OS/hard drive.

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
hldan: RTM = final

Anyway, the reason for the discrepancy in the scores is obvious. Hard drives perform fastest when the head is reading/writing the outside of the platter as opposed to the inside. Depending on how large you've made your Windows partition, you could be reading closer to the end of the drive (where it's slowest) compared to the user with the C2D, who may be reading/writing to a slightly faster area.

That would account for the discrepancy in scores given the same drivers/OS/hard drive.
Okay but not completely true. My friend works for Microsoft and he mentioned that even though RTM version is the one being sent out as an OEM (I knew what RTM was BTW) the retail version could still be fine tuned before hitting the streets and that's what I meant on my previous post. It doesn't matter to me but the RTM version should be in nobody's hands but the manufacturers and any press that's reviewing it.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Scifience
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
Okay but not completely true. My friend works for Microsoft and he mentioned that even though RTM version is the one being sent out as an OEM (I knew what RTM was BTW) the retail version could still be fine tuned before hitting the streets and that's what I meant on my previous post. It doesn't matter to me but the RTM version should be in nobody's hands but the manufacturers and any press that's reviewing it.
While most people with the RTM of Vista have gotten it via less-than-legitimate means, I have a perfectly legit copy I got from MSDN. It is possible that the OP got his the same way (although based on the question, I doubt it).

Forum Links
Forum Rules