Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 wont sleep

G4 wont sleep
SleePyCode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2008, 07:40 PM

I have a G4 Double Mirrored Drive (If thats the correct term) that I just can't get to sleep.

I have even set the sleep options down to 1 min and it just sits there running forever.
I even set via energy saving options for it to sleep and I waited until the time I set went by and it never did.
When it sits at the login screen I can hear it attempt to power down sometimes and the fans star to go quiet, but then suddenly it kicks right back up at full blast.
I even have trouble putting it to sleep using remote desktop to view the login screen and hit the sleep button. It just never does.
Sometimes the only way I can get it to sleep is to hit the sleep button myself or click other at the login screen and type ">sleep".

Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this mac to be a pain and not sleep?
It is running 10.5.1 on it.

Cold Warrior
Feb 10, 2008, 07:56 PM

Try resetting the PMU.

yikes600
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2008, 08:00 PM

what pci cards do you have installed?

SleePyCode  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2008, 12:49 AM

First off thanks for the replies.

Cold Warrior,
Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics/Gigabit Ethernet): Resetting the PMU on the Logic Board

From the apple docs it appears that I should have this program called MacTest Pro. Do you know where this is or if its really needed to do this?
I opened my G4 tower and I think I found it, their model is slightly different from what I see. But I can't mistake a label that says "PMU Reset Should I press this with a Philips screwdriver or something?

yikes600,
I only have the video card that came with the computer plugged into the agp slot. I did add 2 512 ram sticks a couple years ago and another hard dive as well a couple years ago.

Cold Warrior
Feb 15, 2008, 02:03 AM

Yes, you can use an extended paper clip to press the button. I've done this before on a number of Macs and it often helps with sleep or power issues. Just ensure you touch the case to discharge any static electricity before moving into the case with your hands and the paper clip.

SleePyCode  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2008, 05:14 PM

Nope,

I pressed that button for about 3 seconds and let go. Waited more than 10 seconds before plugging it and powering it on.

Still won't go to sleep by itself, I can finally click the button on the sleep button to put it down though.

Is it possible some background application is not letting it sleep?
I did a top command from command line but nothing looks like it shouldn't be running.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2008, 05:41 PM

Does it deep sleep if you put it in sleep mode manually?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SleePyCode  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2008, 02:23 AM

Sorry for the delays,

Yes if I push the sleep button on the computer it goes all the way down. No noise comes from the computer and the light just flashes.

I noticed somebody else said something about an external hard drive causing issues with their sleep functions.
http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...nt-like-disks/

I do have an internal drive plugged into P5 (The area below the cd bays). I have it hear so its separated from the other hard drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules