Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I bit the bullet and bought an Apple TV!

I bit the bullet and bought an Apple TV!
safetyobc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2009, 11:08 AM

Well I did it. I was going to wait and see what Apple had planned for us but decided to go ahead and buy one. I got a refurb and saved a few bucks from Apple's online store. I have bought refurb's from Apple's online store before with good luck (fingers crossed, knocking on wood.)

I flip flopped between the Apple TV, Vudu, Roku, and a connected Blu-Ray player. I have spent a couple weeks researching, reading reviews, etc. Ultimately I wanted easy iTunes integration (since my media is already there). Easy podcast support (gotta have that Diggnation in HD!) and ease of use. So I went with the Apple TV.

I figured even if they come out with a bigger better ATV in the near future, I can move this ATV to another TV in the house. Plus, I just love Apple products so I know I'll love this. I even paid for overnight shipping, lol.

The other products seem great (Vudu or Blu-Ray) but in the end, if I got a Blu-Ray, then I would have to buy or rent the higher priced discs. If I got Vudu, then it would have isolated my iTunes (unless I re encoded everything which I didn't want to do). And with Boxee, ATV seemed perfect.

I just think that ATV will provide more content for me NOW. I don't rent or buy many movies from Apple. I think I have bought 1 movie from Apple in the 2 or 3 years I have been using iTunes (and it was on sale for $5.) I don't like buying a movie that is tied down to just iTunes. At least when I buy a DVD and rip it, I still have the physical copy. I have netflix for most of my renting. I already have an XBox with Netflix streaming. Some of the competition are offering Netflix streaming, but honestly Netflix through my XBox looks like trash so I was worried it would look the same way through these other boxes or Blu-Ray players.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about Apple TV. Come on in....the water is fine!

Just excited and thought I would share! Thanks to all who gave me advice!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2009, 02:36 PM

I have the AppleTV, Vudu, and Roku. The Vudu is seeing less and less use. The AppleTV is used daily, and the Roku is beginning to see more use than it did before.

So far, the winner is AppleTV in my home.

Forum Links
Forum Rules