Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sharing external HD with PCs over SMB?

Sharing external HD with PCs over SMB?
kon21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2004, 07:14 PM

How does one access an external volume on OS X from a PC via SMB?
On the PC, if I use SMB (Start / Run then \\IP\share) only my home folder is shared. How do I add an external hard drive to be avaliable as a share?
I don't see any sharing options I can use to make the HD avaliable.
The only workaround I found is to create a soft link inside my home directory that points to the external HD.
I'm looking for a easier way to do this.

TIA

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 09:01 AM

I recommend you get SharePoints, a handy little preference pane for configuring file sharing on the Mac. It'll do what you need done for your external volume access.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 09:55 AM

SharePoints is great. You would think that OS X would have this functionality built in, similar to OS 9 file sharing and "users and groups", but it doesn't. Maybe in Tiger--anyone know?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Macola:
SharePoints is great. You would think that OS X would have this functionality built in, similar to OS 9 file sharing and "users and groups", but it doesn't. Maybe in Tiger--anyone know?
Apple wants you to purchase their server version of Panther. They will not be upgrading the client in Tiger to provide what the server version gives you.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Apple wants you to purchase their server version of Panther. They will not be upgrading the client in Tiger to provide what the server version gives you.
Well, the server version existed in OS 9 days as well, so it's difficult to use that argument. Besides, most people don't need all the other functions of the server version just to do file sharing. Even XP, as much as I hate to say it, does a better job.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

yukon
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 09:04 PM

No. Windows wasn't built multiuser, when you "share" you share based on what files are where, not who owns them or who has access. Or at least it's encouraged (read: people generally only know how to) set up that way.

If you want to serve a whole lot of users on MacOS X, that's when you use the Server version. The features aren't "missing", you simply need to know how to configure it....maybe Server gives you a nicer UI for it.

To answer the question, there are a few routes. The easiest is making an alias in your shared directory to the volume (you've done this, I've done this, it works). Or, make the shared directory a link to the drive. Or, make a new user, and set it's shared directory to be a specific folder somewhere else (Netinfo.app does this well, Users->MyUser->SharedFolder=>/Volumes/MyExternalVolume/). Finally, configure the /etc/smb.conf to share a drive, rather than being user specific.

XP does NOT do a better job. Samba is generally better (except when MS breaks compatibility to make the developers scramble), and no other Unix has a "Samba button" that just needs to be clicked to share files. I'd find the Samba vs. Windows2k-SMB benchmarks, but suffice to say that Samba can support a few thousand more users on the same server.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2004, 09:46 PM

The standard way to do this is to edit the smb.conf file (the samba configuration file).

man smb.conf

Oneota
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 08:44 AM

The main reason Apple doesn't build in the same users and groups functionality into the Client version of Mac OS X is because Mac OS X is a multi-user OS. The only files that a given user is guaranteed to own are those files in her/his home directory.

Also, the owner of a machine might not want some other user sharing /Applications/Games/MyCoolGameWithLaxCopyProtection over the network. How do you decide who gets to do what?

Basically, it all comes down to the multi-user nature of the beast (and the desire for simplicity).

If you wanted to get away with sharing the external volume and not muck around with anything (though SharePoints is a great utility and it's unlikely that it'd screw anything up), you could try making a symbolic link (not an alias) from the external drive into your Home Directory. Don't know if it'd work, but it's worth a shot.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Actually, the server version only provides a good UI over the Samba backend built into all OSX versions. This is where SharePoints comes in; it gives you an interface to configure the Samba backend more fully.

Truth be told, if you're willing to learn the ins and outs of Samba config files you don't even need SharePoints, but the GUI it provides can be very convenient.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules