Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Growing frustration with Islam (Part 2)

Growing frustration with Islam (Part 2)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 05:26 AM

I hate to abandon my 'liberal' 'extreme-left' views of tolerance and all. But this was on TV down under yesterday and the link is to the script. And it scared the shyte out of me.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/s...story_1455.asp

I think immigration regulations need t o be stepped up dramatically for people from that part of the world, and there needs to be more thurough checks on first and second generation immigrants as well.

From my experience, going to a high school in the middle east.... it was a british school, but with a vast majority of muslims and slmic studies was the only religious class provided. My friends who were muslims.... told me that the teacher would tell them not to associate with us (non muslims) not to wish us 'merry christmas' and stuff like that....and i actually witnessed some on my friends follow that advice (and there were few who didnt).

I consider myself a tolerant person....but if there's one thing i cant tolerate it's prejuidice to that extreme.

That article is just scary.

Discuss.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2005, 05:40 AM

Two things:

1. You needed a new thread for this?

2. Your frustration is with certain Muslims(and "Muslims"), not Islam. I know this is a difficult thing to grasp but I still have to point it out to you(and other on here).

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 06:57 AM

Umm well i didnt want to divert another thread based on another article, and i couldnt think of a better name for this thread.

So yeah, i am well aware of the fifference between Muslims and Islam. One defines a culture and community and the other a code of conduct in society. They are tightly coupled entities in my opinion. (like any religion and it's followers).

I think it's high time Islam steps into the 21st century and evolve to become more tolerant with other communities in the world and that involves adapting the laws and changing the mindsets of people. If catholics, jews, christians, hindus, budhists, athiets, pagans,etc can live together in relative harmony with mutual equality and respect (for example without barriers for inter faith marriges), i dont see why Muslims shouldnt be held upto that standard as well. The fact is there are a considerable number of Muslims who consider themselves 'better' than everyone else, and seem to be bent on an illusion that if your not muslim your an enemy or something. I cant bear that kind of intolerance.

Looking at the facts at ground level....look at religious conflicts everywhere in the world right now. Indonesia&East Timor, Pakistan&India, Greece&Turkey, Lebanon(civil war between Christian and Muslims), Albania and the Balkans, Chechyna, Palestine&Israel, U.K.&Ireland. Of those ive mentioned only one dosent involve a Muslim community (U.K. & ireland). Allthe other include Muslims in conflict with the other mayor word religions.... hinduism, jewdaism and christianity. I dont what the 'problem' is, but i think i can say with some amount of certainity that a lot of the 'problem' resides in one particular community. I dont think anyone in their right mind can deny that fact.

I think they need to do a whole lot more to modernize their code of conduct in the world community and preach tolerance for a change. That in my opinion would be a big step towards stability and world peace.

Banned
Jul 25, 2005, 07:31 AM

You shouldn't be frustrated with an inanimate object.

Be frustrated at what causes people to do bad things.

Religion cannot physically do these things. People that have been fooled, lied to, and brainwashed do.

Be upset at the cause, the reason. It's not Islam.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 08:17 AM

So whats the common denominator here ? if we are analyzing the problem....what could we possibly identify as the source of the problem ? fundamentalists ? well where do they get their information ? clerics ? where do they get their information ? They all seem to be interpreting the information the same way, unless someone is brainwashing the ppl who provide the information ?

And if an inanimate object causes harm...mentally or physically, i do feel frustrated with it, u know ? its hard not to.

Banned
Jul 25, 2005, 08:49 AM

That is just it. It's not an inanimate object that is causing the harm. We are all responsible for our own actions.

But there is a deceiver out there that wants us all done in.

And he/she/it whatever will use anything to accomplish that.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 09:35 AM

Well, I still want to know why von Wrangell doesn't put a space before he types a parentheses, but he does [i]after]/i] he types one.

:/

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Well, I still want to know why von Wrangell doesn't put a space before he types a parentheses, but he does [i]after]/i] he types one.

:/

Maury

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2005, 09:39 AM

btw, Hawkeye. I'll get back to you later today and will respond to your posts to me. Way too much to do at work at the moment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules