Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Broke down and bought a new MacBook and having wifi issues

Broke down and bought a new MacBook and having wifi issues
macfantn
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2011, 09:07 PM

I'm writing this from my 2008 white MacBook. My brand new 13.3" MacBook won't connect to wifi. It will connect when it first boots up then if it goes to sleep it won't reconnect without a restart. Any ideas how to fix this? It's running lion, and I've ran all the software and firmware updates.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 20, 2011, 09:18 PM

It sounds like the old "wake from sleep" ogre has taken to bothering you. Basically this. Happens when the AirPort card doesn't realize that the computer was asleep, and it fails to attempt to reconnect. One band-aid technique is to turn off the card, wait a minute, then turn it back on. If that fixes the problem, it pretty well solidifies my presumption about the issue.

A better fix is to delete your current network location, or create a new one to replace "Automatic." This will allow you to manually set up the wireless network connection the way you want it, and is often found to eliminate the "AirPort won't wake up" problem entirely.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2011, 09:51 PM

If this is a known issue, why doesn't Apple fix it? I'm having the same issue with my new MacBook Air, but not with my old MacBook on 10.6.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2011, 12:07 AM

If you buy a new box and there are anomalies just make Apple fix it. My 2011 MBP has no such issues.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2011, 04:41 AM

Its a known bug with 10.7.2 I think.

Mine has a habit of dropping its connection but only with certain Wifi networks. I've seen it before and turning wifi off and on fixes it for me for a few hours. Only way I've permanently fixed my version is to change the SSID but there is a backend I have no access to. Your issue sounds different but more closely resembles the 'known issue' than mine.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its a known bug with 10.7.2 I think.

Mine has a habit of dropping its connection but only with certain Wifi networks. I've seen it before and turning wifi off and on fixes it for me for a few hours. Only way I've permanently fixed my version is to change the SSID but there is a backend I have no access to. Your issue sounds different but more closely resembles the 'known issue' than mine.
OSX updates *always* seem to have some sort of WiFi bug ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules