Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lens Question

Lens Question
Eagle_AS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 10:46 AM

I have seen similar threads with good responses, so I will give it a woo. My old lens, a Sigma 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 Aspherical Macro HF did me well, but the other day it literally fell off my camera and bounced off my porch onto the ground about 20 feet below. Like I said, it was fine for what I do, I am a novice when it comes to photography. I generally used it for shots of the family and taking slides of my paintings. The only gripe is the quality of its construction. From what I hear its extremely rare for a camera lens to fall off, so it may not really be relevant, but I wanted to ask anyway. Do you all have suggestion in the $100 dollar range down for a SLR??? And why???

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 05:13 PM

I've worked with Sigma lenses a lot during the last 15 years and have always found their construction quite good.

So I would still recommend any of their lenses.

Exactly how did the lens mount fail? The unlock latch perhaps?

J

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Dec 9, 2003, 07:26 PM

When I was a journalism student, I purchased a new Sigma 70-210mm, f/2.8. It worked flawlessly for me except that the lens did start coming apart, like some screws inside the barrel became lose. Solution? It still took great pictures so I sold it my senior year to another student for cheap (so cheap in fact, that now that I think about it, the little bastard never did pay me) and upgraded to a Canon 80-200mm, f/2.8.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Eagle_AS:
I have seen similar threads with good responses, so I will give it a woo. My old lens, a Sigma 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 Aspherical Macro HF did me well, but the other day it literally fell off my camera and bounced off my porch onto the ground about 20 feet below. Like I said, it was fine for what I do, I am a novice when it comes to photography. I generally used it for shots of the family and taking slides of my paintings. The only gripe is the quality of its construction. From what I hear its extremely rare for a camera lens to fall off, so it may not really be relevant, but I wanted to ask anyway. Do you all have suggestion in the $100 dollar range down for a SLR??? And why???
For 100 bucks you can't expect too much!

You might want to consider buying a better lens used. B & H has a good used department.

Another possibility is buying at a camera swap meet. They can be some real bargains there. Here is a list showing some dates and locations.

Eagle_AS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 10:40 AM

Thanks all! You have been a lot of help. I don't exactly what happened, this particular lens had no screws, but I know what you are talking about. This one had plastic notches that snapped it "tight", I think thats the problem....or maybe I unlocked it like someone mentioned without knowing it. It is definitely possible, but talking to a photographer in town, he was in awe that it happened. Said he had never seen that happen before...just my luck.

Funny thing is, I wiped off the dirt, put it back on and took my slides anyway and they look good to boot! Anywho thanks for your help and keep them coming if you have any ideas!

Eagle_AS

Forum Links
Forum Rules