Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 and monitor problem

G5 and monitor problem
stburt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2005, 07:14 PM

Aswell as having hardships with my G4 (see post below), there is an ongoing problem with my G5. It is connected to a Sony LCD monitor via a Belkin extension cord cos the computer is in a different room to cut down on noise in the studio where I work.

However if I shutdown and then try to start up it takes up to and beyond 20 boots for the computer to recognise the monitor. I keep getting a full boot happening but the screen displays a "cannot recognise" message. So I just wait a few secs till the computer has booted up properly and then emergency restart and hope the monitor 'connects'.

Once it has done then there are no problems. The two are best of friends and even if I do a restart the monitor continues to work fine. Only after shutdown does it have problems. I used different cables and it was fine.

any ideas?

thanks

flanders
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2005, 01:42 PM

my first thought would be that your cable extension is just long enough to cause the digital synching to miss a timing occasionally. i'm no electrical engineer but i bet if it is synched up to your video card then as long as the hardware remains powered up you won't have a loss of signal that the video can't handle. It's on the first sync that gets it. you do say that when you use a different (or do you mean shorter) cable it works fine?
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

stburt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 07:38 PM

cheers flanders

i did some test months ago and I think I used different cables and it worked. Tho now I think of it I cannot remember. Don't wanna try it again cos G5 working fine now, just has not been shutdown for months.

If I had same problem with any cable what could the cause be?

thanks

stburt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2005, 07:12 AM

just tried a different cable. I still get the same problem. Seems the cable is NOT the issue.

can anyone help.....I can't get the monitor working again so my computer and work is a total no goer.......

thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules