Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Shuffle DISCONTINUED

Shuffle DISCONTINUED
freudling
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 09:43 PM

Just got word at a local store that they are no longer getting anymore shuffles, as they have been discontinued.

Pogomwg
Jan 21, 2006, 09:48 PM

I work tomorrow ill see if anyone at my store has got any kindof word on this and update.
iBook G4 1.42 60GB 768mb. G5 iPod Video White 30 Gig.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2006, 03:16 AM

Does this mean my shuffle is now.... a collectable?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2006, 03:39 AM

If it's true, this might have been the announcement that was dropped from MWSF last minute. If so, I'd expect the press to get invitations to an AppleEvent on music pretty soon.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1482

Ω
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 07:26 AM

I was thinking today how much more I have enjoyed my 1GB shuffle over my 30GB iPod. Then I started to think how long has it been since an upgrade.....
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2006, 01:39 PM

The model has been discontinued or every shuffle forever?

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2006, 01:53 PM

Wow, one shuffle intro over a year ago, now they discontinue it. Seems it really was a "stop-gap" product to get a cheap flash-ipod out there until they could bring the nano to market, and then until the prices came down enough to make a *cheap* 1gb nano (or something similar)...must be an update in the works...

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jan 22, 2006, 02:06 PM

The salesman said no more shuffles, not just one model. NO MORE, DISCONTINUED. Perhaps they will just keep their Nanos going. I expect the Nano to get an upgrade by the summer, increasing space, since Jobs is really excited about flash memory. Maybe something like 4 GB and 6 GB flash or something really cool like a 5 GB and 10 GB model. I know that Fujitsu is working on a drive fit for the iPod at 120 GB. So over the next few years, the space will make a huge jump. As for the iPod video, I bet they are working on increasing the screen size, increasing battery life and offering more features, like the ability to plug into a portable keyboard and maybe bluetooth.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ω
I was thinking today how much more I have enjoyed my 1GB shuffle over my 30GB iPod. Then I started to think how long has it been since an upgrade.....
I regret the day I sold my Shuffle and got a 30gb Video. I hardly use the thing, battery life is subpar, and it is all scratched up, even though I have been careful, and protected it. Should have kept the Shuffle, and spent the 3 hundred on something more useful.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 05:26 PM

psk-ele
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2006, 06:38 PM

Yeah, I know the apple store is still showing 24 hr shipping times for the shuffles, but it would not be the first time apple has kept the 24 hr shipping time and then magically updated a product. If true though, it may not happen for another 1-2-3-4 weeks. So I think for now we must just wait.

But let the rumors continue. Rumors are fun...especially when true
"When people say that Macs suck, that
means they have never used
them.....trust me...."

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2006, 08:43 PM

I would doubt this one. The updated Shuffle was supposed to be the big news at MacWorld so much so that they faked the 1Mb version? as going out of stock. This fooled a lot of people.

Apple sells a ton of iPod Shuffles WorldWide. If anything, I would expect them to expand the Shuffle line.

I love my Shuffle as it's great for running. The controls are awesome. Even after a year of use it still operates well.

- Not the best choices for FFWing thru large audio docs like podcasts.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jan 22, 2006, 09:06 PM

It doesn't mean that the shuffle is end of life. NO MORE 512 and 1 GB is what I know at this point. As for www.apple.com, they will of course dump all their remaining stock.

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by badsey
I would doubt this one. The updated Shuffle was supposed to be the big news at MacWorld so much so that they faked the 1Mb version? as going out of stock. This fooled a lot of people..
Man, a 1MB Shuffle would be all kinds of crap.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 10:45 AM

WTF, no more shuffle?

And there I was hoping for a video shuffle, same size as the ordinary one, except with an LED next to the headphone jack so you could project the video onto the nearest available surface...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2006, 09:52 PM

None of the rumor sites (AppleInsider, ThinkSecret) are carrying this story. We'll see if it pans out.
I suspect its false.

Pogomwg
Jan 25, 2006, 01:38 AM

Talked with some people and they said that they have not heard anything about it yet. However, that does not mean anything one way or the other.
iBook G4 1.42 60GB 768mb. G5 iPod Video White 30 Gig.

bourgeoisie
Jan 25, 2006, 03:38 AM

obviously some of you people love 'em but i never really caught the 'shuffle' bug, usually when i'm listening to my ipod i have a specific track or album in mind so i have to have a screen. to each their own
green links don't belong to me!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2006, 01:06 AM

I use my shuffle for both data and music. Half and half really. I store all my classroom materials on it. Works quite well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules