Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Watching the SuperBowl on a tv bigger than 55"? You're breaking the law!

Watching the SuperBowl on a tv bigger than 55"? You're breaking the law!
jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2007, 06:56 PM

From SI.com - 2006 NFL Playoffs - NFL nixes church's plan to show Super Bowl - Thursday February 1, 2007 2:09PM

But the NFL objected to the church's plans to use a projector to show the game, saying the law limits it to one TV no bigger than 55 inches.
WTF? Proof that copyright laws have gotten WAY out of hand in this country.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 06:57 PM

On the plus side at least they didn't think it was a bomb.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2007, 07:00 PM

Just pick up a copy of Vista, or try and play an HDDVD / BlueRay disc... that proof is already out there.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 07:03 PM

"But the NFL objected to the church's plans to use a projector to show the game, saying the law limits it to one TV no bigger than 55 inches."

The LAW? Seriously?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Rumor
Feb 1, 2007, 07:07 PM

I used to work at a night club/sports bar in Michigan where we would play a movie on our projector on Sundays. The local movie theater complained (even though they were older movies) and we were told by the "law" to cease.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 07:07 PM

Darn I was hoping to watch SuperBowl on this new television of mine

kick52
Baninated
Feb 1, 2007, 07:11 PM

** Policeman knocks on door **
"Hello."
"Hi. May I inspect your TV please?"
"Yeah, ok."
** Policeman inspects TV **
"Sir, this TV is 1 inch to big. I'm arresting you."
** Policeman does arrest speech **
** Guy arrested says to his son before he leaves: "Don't worry Timmy. I may be gone, but I'm sure you'll be able to beat the cancer." **

Do you see this is a perfectly happen-able example? We have to get it to STOP.

</weird>

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
"Hello."
"No. Foxtrot Oscar."
Fixed.

----

I'm sure that this only applies to the licences for public viewing, not home users.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 1, 2007, 07:27 PM

I assure you this is NOT the law.

Here's a few choice quotes from the article:

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league's long-standing policy is to ban "mass out-of-home viewing" of the Super Bowl. An exception is made for sports bars and other businesses that show televised sports as a part of their everyday operations.

"We have contracts with our (TV) networks to provide free over-the-air television for people at home," Aiello said. "The network economics are based on television ratings and at-home viewing. Out-of-home viewing is not measured by Nielsen."
It's the NFL's policy, NOT the law.
Newland said his church won't break the law.
It's not the law. I am disappointed that he caved. Initially, the church was going to charge admission, and that is illegal, but to show it free is not.
"It just frustrates me that most of the places where crowds are going to gather to watch this game are going to be places that are filled with alcohol and other things that are inappropriate for children," Newland said. "We tried to provide an alternative to that and were shut down."
Very true.

I am going to watch the game at my church on the large front projector (10' diagonal screen), but it's not a publicized event and only a few people will be there.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 07:56 PM

The church should have told the NFL to Foxtrot Oscar ()

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 08:53 PM

If I am the owner of a 55" TV, I am above the law solely based on the size of my ego, which grows in tandem with the size of my TV screen.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 09:22 PM

Just to piss off the NFL, I will be inviting everyone I know to watch it on my 106" screen.

Where the hell is this 55" law thing??? I find it hard to believe.


ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 11:34 AM

I heard one of my friends saying that people would be unable to watch the Superbowl in HD unless they had a supscription to some sort of football package. Something about it being too expensive for the network station to buy the rights. Is this true? Seems like bunk to me.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I heard one of my friends saying that people would be unable to watch the Superbowl in HD unless they had a supscription to some sort of football package. Something about it being too expensive for the network station to buy the rights. Is this true? Seems like bunk to me.
It is bunk. CBS is broadcasting this in HD.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 11:48 AM

That doesn't sound right.

CBS is carrying the Superbowl so any local affiliates will be broadcasting it in HD OTA for free (as long as you have a tuner for OTA HD signals)

DirecTv should have it with their Local channel HD package.

Now I have heard of some problems with cable (like Charter) who, at least in nearby areas, have not been able to reach a deal with certain CBS stations to carry CBS HD. I don't know if that's what your friend is talking about.

I hadn't heard of a "NFL package" that had the Superbowl in HD, but I could be wrong...
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 11:52 AM

"It just frustrates me that most of the places where crowds are going to gather to watch this game are going to be places that are filled with alcohol and other things that are inappropriate for children," Newland said. "We tried to provide an alternative to that and were shut down."

Yeah because the superbowl is so kiddie friendly anyway. Mostly naked chicks bouncing and jiggling around, beer commercials programming them to get hammered at a young age, and stressing the importance of football, a sport that's so vitally important to many parents they would rather have little Johnny do really good on the football team so they can maybe get a scholarship, instead of getting good grades and getting a scholarship. I just heard something about football's destructive effect on our education system actually: WOMEN ARE KICKING MEN'S ASSES IN COLLEGE. Why? It seems that women aren't as pressured into doing well at sports, so they spend more time becoming better students. Men on the other hand, are pressured into doing well in extra-curricular activities, so they can hope to land scholarships for college, but it's kinda retarded, because the point of college in the first place was to get a good degree and thus a great job, not just play sports a few more years and become a nobody/used car salesman.

Whatever. I won't be watching the superbowl, because it's boring. They throw the ball. Then stop for 2 minutes. Then 5-10 seconds more action. Then commercial break. It's the most annoying sport to watch ever, aside from golf.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 11:57 AM

It sounds fishy to me. If you subscribe to the HD channels you should get it free of charge.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 12:04 PM

It sounded weird to me as well. Maybe he just meant locally.

It doesn't really matter to me, since I don't have an HD cable box. (Just not worth it yet)

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 12:20 PM

I don't have an HD cable box yet either, I have DirecTV in SD only right now, but my Cable Modem line has basic cable and I get 12 Local HD channels so yeah Superbowl is in HD for free

Oh and my TV is only 46" so I am good on that.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 12:25 PM

It doesn't really matter to me, since I don't have an HD cable box. (Just not worth it yet)
Discovery HD channel alone is easily worth the HD package

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
I don't have an HD cable box yet either, I have DirecTV in SD only right now, but my Cable Modem line has basic cable and I get 12 Local HD channels so yeah Superbowl is in HD for free
You sure it's really HD? From what I understand it's not possible for standard receiver to understand HD signal and transfer it to HDTV in resolution above 420p.

I could be wrong though. I own both DirecTV HD DVR and S DVR receivers at home and S DVR is not able to view any HD channels at their full resolution.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
"Hello."
"Did you bring snacks?"
"No, I'm a cop."
"Then where are the doughnuts?"
"Sir, is your TV too big?"
"Actually, yes, but it's the Super Bowl, so seriously, why aren't you watching it somewhere eating doughnuts?"
Fixed.â„¢
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 12:33 PM

Discovery HD is great. I love the show they have on in the mornings called Sunrise Earth. I use it as a screensaver type thing on my TV. It's so peaceful.

HBO and Shotime HD are cool if you have a DVR. Once a week I go through both channels and set all the movies I want to watch to record. In a week there are normally around 3 or 4 nice HD movies I record to watch later.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts View Post
You sure it's really HD? From what I understand it's not possible for standard receiver to understand HD signal and transfer it to HDTV in resolution above 420p..
My TVs QAM tuner picks up the HD channels on the cable line input so yeah its not going thru the DirecTV box at all. Sorry for the confusion. And yeah I know i[m not technically allowed to do this but i[m paying $60 for my cable modem so they can spot me a few HD shows until I get my HD package setup :-p

I am hoping to get a DirecTV HD DVR so I can record in HD too, when I miss a showing I have to watch in SD on the TiVo and its a bummer.

quiklee
Senior User
Feb 3, 2007, 02:53 AM

this has to be a joke
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 03:28 AM

Darn I was hoping to watch SuperBowl on this new television of mine
I like the new stars as much as the next guy (unless the next guy hates them), but I'm not convinced they're 1080p-102"-plasma-rific.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2007, 10:31 AM

for private home use there is no size restrictions so you can move on; there won't be any complaints or problems.

what the church was doing was no longer in the spirit of "for sole purpose of private home viewing use". or whatever the NFL and other sports leagues, movies, etc disclaimer says. this isn't something new this year. it has always been the case when these entities started protecting their rights and property. i'm sure everyone has seen and heard it read on screen. it includes the "without express written consent you can't show or rebroadcast, blah blah blah. this program is intended for the private home viewing blah blah blah".

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 12:59 PM

The NFL should be thankfull that they have this problem. The NHL would die to have to worry about how people are watching... they just wish that someone would! (I'm a hockey fan, but haven't seen a game since the lock out - I realized that I didn't miss it that much when it was gone).

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post

Now I have heard of some problems with cable (like Charter) who, at least in nearby areas, have not been able to reach a deal with certain CBS stations to carry CBS HD. I don't know if that's what your friend is talking about.

I have Cox cable, and for me it is the opposite. Out of the major channels (Fox, NBC, ABC, and CBS) CBS is the only channel I can get in HD through cable, while to watch the other three I have to watch it through an OTA antenna to get HD (still get the regular broadcasts through cable, but Cox said they can't work out a deal yet with those companies to get HD programming...utter BS, since I'm paying for the HD I should get it without an antenna.
I'm glad the superbowl is on CBS this year because I don't have to worry about any issues with antenna not working.

Oh, and I have a 56" DLP screen. Guess I'm going to jail.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I have Cox cable, and for me it is the opposite. Out of the major channels (Fox, NBC, ABC, and CBS) CBS is the only channel I can get in HD through cable, while to watch the other three I have to watch it through an OTA antenna to get HD (still get the regular broadcasts through cable, but Cox said they can't work out a deal yet with those companies to get HD programming...utter BS, since I'm paying for the HD I should get it without an antenna.
I'm glad the superbowl is on CBS this year because I don't have to worry about any issues with antenna not working.

Oh, and I have a 56" DLP screen. Guess I'm going to jail.
I've got the same issue here. You wouldn't happen to be in Hampton Roads, would ya?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I've got the same issue here. You wouldn't happen to be in Hampton Roads, would ya?
Yessir, I live in va beach. Nice to see a fellow Hampton Roadian (or whatever?) here!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2007, 10:08 AM

You sure it's really HD? From what I understand it's not possible for standard receiver to understand HD signal and transfer it to HDTV in resolution above 420p.

I could be wrong though. I own both DirecTV HD DVR and S DVR receivers at home and S DVR is not able to view any HD channels at their full resolution.
1) 480p, not 420.

2) he's got a basic cable line coming into his home for cable modem purposes. That line also carries the digital signals in QAM256 encoding.

If he connects a ClearQAM tuner to that line, he will see whatever HD is being put out unencrypted. For free.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 4, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
On the plus side at least they didn't think it was a bomb.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 12:38 PM

Yessir, I live in va beach. Nice to see a fellow Hampton Roadian (or whatever?) here!
Newport News here.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 02:48 PM

Lock us up then. Our television is 64" in the main room.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
Newport News here.
Yorktown over here. Tidewater/Hampton Roads in the house!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
2 days ago, I was browsing channels and saw NBC and FOX on the HD Channels. Today they added ABC. Way to go Cox!!! Time for me to chuck my stupid antenna.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2007, 03:08 PM

2 days ago, I was browsing channels and saw NBC and FOX on the HD Channels. Today they added ABC. Way to go Cox!!! Time for me to chuck my stupid antenna.
I'd chuck it if the picture quality wasn't so much better. Cox is running out of bandwidth and their HD channels are suffering for it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules