Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bootable?

Bootable?
Swervage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2014, 09:54 AM

I was told that the new Intel Macs will not let you boot from an external hard drive with fire wire. Is this true??? I was thinking of getting a Mac mini, transferring the data on my G5, then cloning it so I would have a bootable backup. Just in case the internal drive started acting badly.

P
Sep 23, 2014, 12:05 PM

Macs with built-in Firewire can generally boot Mac OS X from it. What doesn't work is booting Windows (Bootcamp) from them. I am not aware that the Firewire boot support has been removed from any recent Macs - anyone else?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2014, 03:55 PM

I have booted my iMac 2011 from a FW 800 external disk several times. Seems like I've booted by 2008 MacPro from a FW 400 disk a few times as well.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2014, 04:03 PM

The problem you're going to run into is that your G5 won't boot from the OS your Mini will need & vice-versa. The PPC & Intel versions of OS X are different systems, developed in parallel.

Just transfer your user files & settings -- don't transfer the whole OS. Then clone your Mini to a new external drive once you've got that squared away. When you set up the new external drive in Disk Utility, make sure to use the GUID Partition Table scheme when formatting your new external drive to make it bootable.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules