Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > student developer hardware discount

student developer hardware discount
Minch_Yoda
Oct 19, 2004, 08:16 PM

how much is that hardware discount for student developer ?
im thinking of buying a powermac g5 of some sort would it be worth it to pay for the student dev account once so i can get a better discount than the education one
what are the prices for that discount

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 08:22 PM

Significant. Go to the ADC website and look for the hardware purchase program. There's a version of the Apple Store there that will reflect the discount. Remember, you only get one (one display plus one desktop) in your lifetime as a student developer. That said, it saved me a bundle on my current setup.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

lpetschauer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 09:27 PM

Here's the page that has a link to the ADC store (click on " United States Hardware Purchase Program Store" then "HARDWARE PURCHASE PROGRAM STORE (U.S.)"). Depending on the product, the discount is either OK (same as education pricing) or great (PowerMacs, PowerBooks).

since people are asking about the SD membership, I have a question I just want to double-check:

Student Developers get new versions of Mac OS when they come out, no? (So I'd eventually get a free copy of Tiger?)

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 12:19 AM

Yeah, I think so. Apple should send updates of software periodically. The problem is that you don't get it right away as a student (I think). It's been a while since I was a student developer, so I couldn't tell you for certain. I do remember getting OS CDs for minor point releases in the interim. That was sure nice, because I hate doing an archive and install only to have an hour of updates to do afterwards.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Altair
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 12:59 AM

Yes you do get OS cd's around the same time it comes out. You will not get any beta OS cd's however. It was a suprise for me to get 10.3 in the mail though it was very welcome.

I used my discount to get my (now aging) powerbook and am quite happy. I still had to eat ramen for a couple of months or so in order to afford it though.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules