Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Creating a shell/terminal script with multiple tasks

Creating a shell/terminal script with multiple tasks
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2011, 11:50 AM

I've googled and looked around and can't seem to find the method to do this.

Right now I have an Automator flow setup to run 8 different commands using the "run shell script" option and it works beautifully but I would like to have one script. Right now I run it under the root user as I'm the only one that uses the script but as I will be creating this script to be used but multiple college sites I want this to run under any user but to just request an admin user password and run rather than having everyone use the root user which I don't hand out.

Thanks!!

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2011, 02:20 AM

You said what you want to do, but you forgot to ask a question.

Are you asking how to create a shell script to invoke 8 different tasks? In BASH, you might want to use a case statement.

However it may be easier to do what you want from AppleScript (which you can easily call from within Automator). You call shell scripts using the DO SHELL SCRIPT command. To request admin functions, you use the "with administrator privileges" clause:

Code:
do shell script "some shell command" with administrator privileges

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2011, 03:45 AM

Why do you need Automator or Applescript for this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules