Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What is the meaning of your life

What is the meaning of your life (Page 3)
Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
... and meet Salty and SWF !

SCNR

-t
So what are your thoughts on Calvin's doctrine or original sin? Or how bout the iconoclastic controversy?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
I did enjoy it, and she's quite persuasive in her assertions. However, like many others, she relies on many assumptions, especially regarding the feelings and motivations which changed a small tribal religion (later to be called Judaism), and the seperation of the Orthodox Christian sects.

Ms. Armstrong really doesn't break any new ground, but mostly just compiles known sources together into an, oftentimes, caustic diatribe. Further, her agnostic views are very evident, and her motivations are obvious. She has a bone to pick, and seems to be more focused on that than the actual subject at hand.
While I got the agnostic bit, after all she's an ex-nun for a reason, I am not sure about the caustic bit. I also thought that her assumptions were always backed up by historic fact as much as can be reasonably expected.

I would not call it bone picking, more a search for personal truth that didn't get answered by an established religion. It's not a perfect book, but it illuminates the history of the three major religions in a clear and concise way.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
So what are your thoughts on Calvin's doctrine or original sin? Or how bout the iconoclastic controversy?
Haha, nice bait. But not on this forum.
But I DO discuss those things in other places

Here is a hint: I wear this shirt:

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 06:43 PM

-t
Either way I'm hardly in the shallow end. Not the deepest end? I'll easily concede that. Since the deepest end always seems to revolve around textual crit which I find extremely pretentious. But I'm far better equipped to discuss theology than SWG or Ca$h, thank you very much.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 06:44 PM

Here is a hint: I wear this shirt:

-t
Cute.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
But I'm far better equipped to discuss theology than SWG or Ca$h, thank you very much.
I agree. Hence the SCNR . Reads

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 06:45 PM

I agree. Hence the

-t
Ahh... never mind then... carry on.

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
My babies all sleep with me and they have rarely cried. But, I always breastfeed them and they're always very happy.

I know, I know, all of the armchair pseudo-parents (and maybe a couple of real ones) will now pile on and warn me about the dangers of sleeping with infants.

But, I use a little cloth mat with 6-inch rolled edges that keeps the baby slightly separated from my body.

We just moved him out of our bed a month or so ago. Up to then, he spent most nights sleeping with my wife and me. Those were the days. He woke up cooing in our ears. Now we're trying to break it before he gets too old and every night is better. He hasn't woken up during the night in about a week so all is well.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules