Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > trouble burning dvd

trouble burning dvd
tkeen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 08:57 AM

I have an 466 G4 running OSX 10.2.4 with a new 4X pioneer internal dvd superdrive.
I have installed all components of ilife.

When I go to burn an imovie in idvd3 it hangs at the "multiplexing and burning" point of the burn. I have tried over and over and it usually shows anywhere from 17 mins to 3 mins remaining. I have tried to be patient at let it burn for 4 or 5 hours.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using 4X dvds

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 04:53 PM

OF course my first thought, since you're using 4x media, is that you need the SuperDrive firmware update, but I'm sure you already tried that.

After about two dozen burns I can honestly say that I've only had iDVD lock up on me twice. As a rule I totally ignore the 'time remaining' estimates (which are usually pretty innacurate) and have taken to running the CPU monitor in the background just to make sure it hasn't frozen.

But that is the only thing I will run while burning, and I have a dual 1Ghz. For your 450 make sure you are not running anything else when burning. I mean nothing. Make sure you don't have a screensaver or energy saver set, and disconnect from any network you might have.

Also, how much RAM do you have? And someone also told me something once about having enough free HD space...can't remember what, but if your HD is too full that might be a problem(?). Have you tried any other brands of DVDs?

tkeen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I did run the firmware update and it told me I did not need it.

I just now put all settings to "not sleep" including the hard drive and do not have any thing else running.

I also went out and bought apple's 4x dvd just in case that was the problem.

We shall see what happens. I am burning right now. I will post back with the results.

Thanks again.

tkeen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 10:00 PM

It worked!

I don't know if it was using the apple branded dvd's or turning the hard drive to "not sleep" or a combination of the two.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 04:32 PM

Glad it worked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules