Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Windows won't connect to a protected wireless network

Windows won't connect to a protected wireless network
OnTheKeys
Forum Regular
May 20, 2008, 02:12 PM

Topic.

I have Windows XP Pro running on Bootcamp. I installed all of the drivers that came on the Leopard disc but can't connect to my protected wireless network. I can, however connect to my neighbor's network, which works fine but i would rather have a protected network...it says "The network is no longer in range, refresh the list of networks"

ghporter
Administrator
May 20, 2008, 04:08 PM

Some details on you protected network would be helpful. Like how is it protected? What sort of encryption are you using? What hardware are you using for the router/access point?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
May 20, 2008, 08:44 PM

Are you using a generic name, e.g., "linksys"?

OnTheKeys  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2008, 12:07 PM

Well the encryption isn't 128-bit HEX I know that, because the password is a word in English, so I'm assuming it's just password encrypted. And no, it's 2317_Wireless. Not sure what the router is, it's a protected wireless within my apartment building.

Cold Warrior
May 21, 2008, 12:26 PM

The network could really be out of range if it's a router located not in your apartment but elsewhere in your building. These wifi points fade in and out of range frequently and are subject to all kinds of distortion.

Can you connect and use it reliably when booted into OS X?

What channel is the router on? (Use a utility like AirMoose to see.)

OnTheKeys  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2008, 01:11 PM

No, it has 5 full green bars when I click. I can connect to it every time with OSX. Not sure which channel it is on, i'll find out

Cold Warrior
May 21, 2008, 01:20 PM

Are you using XP SP2?
Try reinstalling the drivers.

OnTheKeys  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2008, 02:22 PM

They are the drivers that came with the Leopard CD, I just re installed them, still to no avail.

ghporter
Administrator
May 21, 2008, 04:46 PM

What sort of indications does XP give you when you try to connect? What do you get when you look at the wireless card's properties?

OnTheKeys  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2008, 10:43 AM

It's weird, I tried connecting to ANY protected network, and no dice. They all say "network out or range, please refresh the list of networks."

Nothing malicious in the Properties window, everything looks fine. Good thing my neighbor is an idiot and has his network unprotected...

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2008, 04:43 PM

Tell us about how the card works in OS X...This is getting interesting—in the sense of the old "may you live in interesting times" curse.

OnTheKeys  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2008, 02:28 AM

it works fine in leopard, I can connect to the exact same network that is apparantly "out of range" for windows.

I can connect to (some) unprotected networks and (some) protected networks, not all. I get the "Network out of range" error.

But in Leopard I can connect to anything, at least "attempt" to connect, prompting me for the password.

Before I can even put in the password I get denied.

chewo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2009, 07:32 PM

Having same problem with XP runing on Bootcamp 2.1 (MacBook Pro W/mac os 10.5.6)
any one?

Cold Warrior
Apr 28, 2009, 08:17 PM

keep in mind that Windows XP doesn't support WPA2 out of the box. You have to download a hotfix or similar to enable it.

Are you using WPA2 on your network?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2009, 08:21 PM

One of the more bothersome issues (for me) surrounding SP3 is that it doesn't explicitly mention that it includes the "now we do WPA2" fix. Since the fix and SP3 came out at roughly the same time, this was an unnecessary bit of ambiguity. I believe that SP3 does include the update, but would it have killed them to mention it?

And there's still no way to make an XBox 360 work with WPA2, so I have a separate wireless network for my son and his box.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2009, 11:26 PM

Check your firewall...

Forum Links
Forum Rules