Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help Protecting Laptops from being Stolen

Help Protecting Laptops from being Stolen
jcjames01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2007, 03:43 PM

What are other organizations (probably mainly schools) doing to help keep their laptops from walking off.

Are you doing any physical modifications to the case? Engraving, a certain type of paint... Are you using any software security, undercover or other phoning home applications...?

Are you using more advanced security on your top assets? Like an alarm when it goes out of a certain area?

And idea's would be greatly appreciated.

walkerjs
Apr 16, 2007, 07:50 PM

Macbooks come with a slot for those Kensington type cables so you can secure it to a desk. I chain mine to my desk at work because I have a co-worker who specifically stated he'd walk off with it.

My wife used a kensington cable to secure her Macbook to her hospital bed and that was probably pretty effective (she still has it.)

Granted, it's not perfect, but most laptops come with at least that feature. Otherwise, just keep an eye on it (and the bags that might contain them.)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 10:49 PM

Why are schools buying laptops? Etching and engraving would certainly help. Basically I would get an engraving drill, and deface the hell out of the top and bottom of the case with the school name and number. That would make it much less appealing to steal.

j03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2007, 07:15 AM

Peeb,

Lol, crackin' me up.

MrMacbookMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2007, 01:58 PM

The only program I personally have right now is iAlertU which is kind of more for fun, but it is for security also. If you're not familiar with it, it works a lot like a car alarm. You activate it using the remote for the computer, and when it's activated, if the computer is moved at all (like if somebody tries to pick it up), it will make a car alarm sound. I am very interested in getting Undercover though, I especially like that it uses the isight to take pictures of the person using it. Does anyone have undercover or know anyone who has used it? Just wondering if it has actually helped anyone.
I was able to pay for my new macbook
just by trying out products from home.
The pay is great and it's free to join.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by j03 View Post
Peeb,

Lol, crackin' me up.
I'm not kidding - the school isn't worried about the books looking slick, in fact, it wants to maintain their functionality while making them utterly undesirable for theft. Thick engraving of the school name and number all over the case FTW.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by MrMacbookMan View Post
The only program I personally have right now is iAlertU which is kind of more for fun, but it is for security also. If you're not familiar with it, it works a lot like a car alarm. You activate it using the remote for the computer, and when it's activated, if the computer is moved at all (like if somebody tries to pick it up), it will make a car alarm sound. I am very interested in getting Undercover though, I especially like that it uses the isight to take pictures of the person using it. Does anyone have undercover or know anyone who has used it? Just wondering if it has actually helped anyone.
Only if the computer is switched on though, right? This can be defeated by closing the lid....

MrMacbookMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2007, 02:50 PM

No, actually, closing the lid also sets off the alarm. I know I had tested that before, but I couldn't remember what happened, so I just tested it again now, and the alarm does sound.
I was able to pay for my new macbook
just by trying out products from home.
The pay is great and it's free to join.

Forum Links
Forum Rules