Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How can you burn a dual layer DVD video using OS X?

How can you burn a dual layer DVD video using OS X?
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2007, 02:26 PM

I want to back up a few of my DVDs. I already extracted the content using Mac The Ripper.

Now how do I burn this to a dual layer DVD?

I cannot use a burn folder, or it would become a data DVD, so much I have heard.

I do not intend to buy Roxio's "Toast" as I do not need to compress the file to a ordinary 4,7GB disc. I just want a straight back-up be of the same quality as the original.

I have heard it has to do with ISO (whatever that is, exactly...)

How does it work?

Thanks!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2007, 02:43 PM

Is your burner capable of burning dual layer DVDs?

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2007, 03:07 PM

This is the description of my SuperDrive from "About this Mac". Looks like it can burn DVD + R DL dual layer discs.

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846:

Firmware Revision: FA0G
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2007, 03:31 PM

I haven't tried burning a DL disc in my new 112-D yet, but my System Profiler's display matches yours. I was wondering why it only showed +R DL, so I appreciate Tetenal's explanation about that issue. According to people's reports, the Finder should be able to burn a DL disc assuming DL burning is enabled.

If you don't want to spring for Toast, Disco - Mac Disc Burning may be worth a look.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Sep 2, 2007 at 03:43 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I haven't tried burning a DL disc in my new 112-D yet, but my System Profiler's display matches yours. I was wondering why it only showed +R DL, so I appreciate Tetenal's explanation about that issue. According to people's reports, the Finder should be able to burn a DL disc assuming DL burning is enabled.
He just needs to image his VIDEO_TS folder as an ISO or burn the folder in Toast. I use mkisofs for the former, but perhaps this user needs something a little more user friendly.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post

If you don't want to spring for Toast, Disco - Mac Disc Burning may be worth a look.
Thanks, Big Mac.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
He just needs to image his VIDEO_TS folder as an ISO or burn the folder in Toast. I use mkisofs for the former, but perhaps this user needs something a little more user friendly.
Hi, Besson3c.

What do I do to image the video_TS folders as ISO, and what is happening then?

PS: There are other folders in that disc: Audio_TS, Video_TS, VTS_VOB, all in one folder.

P
Sep 3, 2007, 05:31 AM

What you need is to make DVD-Video image out of your VIDEO_TS folder. DVD Imager is a no-frills app that does that and only that. Have used it for at least a year with no problems. The output is a DVD image that can be burned to a DVD using Disk Utility.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
What you need is to make DVD-Video image out of your VIDEO_TS folder. DVD Imager is a no-frills app that does that and only that. Have used it for at least a year with no problems. The output is a DVD image that can be burned to a DVD using Disk Utility.
Thanks.

So you actually image the whole DVD folder, which, in my case consists of audio_ts and video_ts folders?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 03:20 PM

Exactly.

The AUDIO_TS folder isn't strictly necessary, but it's part of the DVD spec, so some older DVD players may refuse to play the DVD if it's not there.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2007, 03:47 PM

DVD Imager says that it cannot backup commercial DVDs, what use is it? When I gift my wife a CD she wants, I'll make a backup that she will use because she listens to them in the car, a notoriously hostile environment to digital media, especially if you have young kids and/or rambunctious pets. But how do I give my excitable toddler a backup of her favorite DVDs, so that if she messes them up it doesn't cost me 10-15 bucks to replace each one?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 03:52 PM

You've already used MactheRipper to remove the copy protection (that and being able to single out features/languages to copy are its only uses), so DVD Imager will create an image without any problems.

In most places, you are not legally allowed to bypass copy protection in order to create backups of digital media you own. That is what the warning is about.

You ARE, however legally entitled to backup copies of said media.

So go ahead, and damn the torpedoes.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
DVD Imager says that it cannot backup commercial DVDs, what use is it? When I gift my wife a CD she wants, I'll make a backup that she will use because she listens to them in the car, a notoriously hostile environment to digital media, especially if you have young kids and/or rambunctious pets. But how do I give my excitable toddler a backup of her favorite DVDs, so that if she messes them up it doesn't cost me 10-15 bucks to replace each one?

I see that your question has already been answered, but a colleague of mine was wrestling with the same thing and DVDs lying around the house, getting scratched, etc.

What he came up with was transcoding all DVD movie to DivX, and putting these files on his MythTV server for the kids to access. Now, his kids can watch movies without DVD media.

If you don't want to get into using MythTV, something simpler might work well too - such as playing h.264 movies from iTunes. Of course, you'll need the storage for this...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2007, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
In most places, you are not legally allowed to bypass copy protection in order to create backups of digital media you own.
Is that true? I get the impression that in most places you actually are, the notable exception being the USA.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2007, 04:18 AM

Not in most EU states.

This leaves us in the bizarre legal state that the only LEGAL way to obtain backup copies of our copy-protected digital media is to download them off the internet.

P
Sep 9, 2007, 02:04 PM

Indeed, many places now formally bans circumventing copy protection. This is an effect of the so-called WIPO treaty, which requires this of its signatories. The DMCA is the most absurd of the implementations of this treaty, but that is just an effect of being the first: Newer laws include exceptions to avoid the most egregious absurdities of the DMCA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules