Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Funny Mac video!!! :)

Funny Mac video!!! :)
addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 07:37 AM

Some of theigs the guys are true. Funny nonetheless.

48MB in size

http://www.bordergatewayprotocol.net...hdifferent.mpg
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 07:46 AM

Yeah! The fifth (or more) time this has been posted! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by sideus:
Yeah! The fifth (or more) time this has been posted! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Sorry Guys. Didn't know
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2003, 03:55 PM

Here is a breakdown of the whole thing... Everything that he says is in bold.

Editing is all Mac based now... I mean... you know... there are programs out there on the PC but weather you are using Avid or Final Cut Pro, you're working on a Macintosh...

Wrong, plenty of people use Windows for video editing.

Using a Mac is a little different then using a PC, it's not so much operating a computer as it is sort of tricking it, fooling it, into doing what it is you really want to do. Ah, you kind of have to sneak up on a Mac.

Strange, I never have to "trick" my Mac. Maybe in the OS 7-8 days, but that's about the only thing I can think of... and like you don't have to "trick" windows to make it do what you want to do.

I don't feel like I'm operating the Mac so much as I'm just there sharing the Macintosh experience. And if I can do something useful while the Mac is willing so much the better.

Again, he is talking out of his ars.

One of the coolest features of the Macintosh is it's really easy to shut down. Ah, all you have to be doing is using a piece of software and then poof, it's goes away, it's gone, it's shut down. You didn't push any buttons, you didn't close, you didn't even save. It's just gone,

Ummm, "it's just gone?"... You always get some kind of error message.

unless you want to shut down a mac, oh that's a whole 'nother' story. I mean you try to close a program and it locks up and you do that funny, what is it, the cloverleaf period thing. but these unnatural and ultimately useless interrupt keys and then nothing moves you then push the power button and it won't turn off, you go around and unplug it, and you better hope you aren't on a laptop, cause then you have to find the damn battery and try to pull that out or the thing will never shut down.

Has this guy ever tried to push the power button for 5 seconds? It shuts EVERY Mac down. Oh, I'm sorry, you need to read the owners manual to know that... or it's not exactly like Windows"

So I put my CD in the CD-ROM tray and I'm copying media off that CD, dragging it on to my desktop, dragging it on to my desktop, dragging it on to my desktop, I eject it and where did my files go? It's the only operating system I know of where click and drag does not mean that You actually copy or move anything NO, you're just making shortcuts to your desktop.

When you are in OS 9 and OS X, dragging a file off of a CD-ROM ALWAYS makes a copy on the desktop. Perhaps he was talking about a zip file? Regardless, yes, this was annoying with floppy drives in OS 8/9. It's not like that in OS X.

So I've got my next CD and I slam it into the CD-ROM tray and loe and behold it starts playing all by itself. I'm looking for a way to turn it off finally out of desperation I click and drag the CD into the garbage can , the system locks up. So I got to the cloverleaf period spacebar thing hoping that I can stop the program and I get a little caution window saying "careful, interrupting this program may lock up the system, I try to click OK, but the system is already locked up.

Bullcrap!

I like the handle here. That's so you can attach a chain and use it as a boat anchor.

Very original

the mac is practicing some kind os bizarre psychological warfare on me because I'm working late at night, and out of the corner of my eye I keep seeing this thing jumping up and down, the update manager is bouncing at the bottom of the screen like a jack f@#$ing terrier

So now it looks like he is jumping OS versions... he is now on OS X.

so I'm looking around in the list of the files trying to find the executable it wants me to update, and if I click on any of one of them by accident, I rename it, "Oh no, it's been renamed nothing it was some kind of important system file and the computer crashes.

When do you EVER need to find an executable where you can rename files? You would have to go out of your way to do that... or just be a fool.

On a PC, no data is really lost

bullcrap...

, I mean, there is a way to undelete a file,

bullcrap...

if you know what you are doing on DOS you can go in and recover anything that has been corrupted. On a mac, if you loose a file, you run to the store and get a copy of the Mac version of Norton Utilities, you run back only to have Norton go "You idiot, you own a macintosh, the file is ****ing gone, it's just gone."

Again, if you know what you are doing, you can usually get a file back on a Mac. If you have more experience on Windows, naturally it's going to be easier. Are we back on OS 9?

Don't have any tools or any kind of buttons or whatever diales or switches on the bottom of the screen, because if you reach for them, the dock menu comes up, you got to like angle around and slide and dodge the thing to get to the control, it's kind of like boxing with your computer.

OK, I guess so, what application has switches down there. He could always keep the dock on, but I'm guessing he is anal.

I can put it on the bottom, I can put it on the left I can put it on the right, but NO, I can't put it on the top, that's reserved for the mighty blue apple.

Grrrr...

My name is Hunter Cressel, I'm an edditor, and I cut everything you saw tonight on a Macintosh.

Mac kills my inner child.

Again, these people are just trying to make a stink about their company or whatever.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 04:20 PM

Ok - If he can make one I can make one, right? Though I was a little less creative and didn't make a video, I thought an audio file would do the trick. Check it out... File is only 273kb...

http://home.comcast.net/~patterson.s...itch_scott.mp3

Scott

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2003, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
So I put my CD in the CD-ROM tray and I'm copying media off that CD, dragging it on to my desktop, dragging it on to my desktop, dragging it on to my desktop, I eject it and where did my files go? It's the only operating system I know of where click and drag does not mean that You actually copy or move anything NO, you're just making shortcuts to your desktop.

When you are in OS 9 and OS X, dragging a file off of a CD-ROM ALWAYS makes a copy on the desktop. Perhaps he was talking about a zip file? Regardless, yes, this was annoying with floppy drives in OS 8/9. It's not like that in OS X.
The irony of this is that Windows does do this. It's one of the most annoying things about that OS - it decides that you don't really want to move certain kinds of files, so if you drag them you get a shortcut. I've never known the Mac OS, 9 or X, to do this in the 17 years I've used it.

So I've got my next CD and I slam it into the CD-ROM tray and loe and behold it starts playing all by itself.
Um, again, this is something that Windows does. I think this guy was using Windows by mistake and thought it was a Mac. Whenever you insert any CD-ROM, it starts an installer or a welcome app or some such bullshit. Whereas on the Mac side, no one ever wrote for the CD-ROM AutoPlay feature because all savvy Mac users had it turned off because of the AutoStart worm, and consequently the feature got removed in OS X.

so I'm looking around in the list of the files trying to find the executable it wants me to update, and if I click on any of one of them by accident, I rename it, "Oh no, it's been renamed nothing it was some kind of important system file and the computer crashes.
One of the nice things about the classic OS was that if you moved or renamed an important system file, like the Finder, it would warn you that you would make your system unbootable by doing so, and it would ask you to move it back before you rebooted. And under no circumstances would moving the file make the system crash. Even if it is the system suitcase. I have done this many times.

OS X, of course, has permissions, so you can't move or rename the file in the first place.

Again, I think this guy was using Windows by mistake (or lying).

Ha ha!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 03:20 AM

Re: the copying files instead of shortcut thing. Panther just added a new feature to OSX. I download a file to the desktop. Now if I move that file to the any folder on the hard disk the OS makes a copy instead of moving it. Doh.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 11:03 AM

If you rummage through the site, you'll find he likes taking the micky out of just about every tech company on the planet...

Here's something much better I found on his user space: Billy Boy

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2003, 02:00 PM

lol. Wow that was nice.
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

tterp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 02:22 PM

Ignorance and envy can be an ugly thing

Lets face it, many Windows users actualy feel that they are missing out on something and either switch to the Mac or turn sarcastic, or even dumb

/Th�ger

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2003, 02:31 PM

Guys (and gals) .. you're taking this video way too seriously. He's obviously mixing up 9/X things and using hyperbole to weave a funny story.

My favorite parts:

"You get a dialog saying that says interrupting this program may cause the system to lock up. You go to click 'OK' but the system's already locked up !!! --- that happened to me more than a few times in 9.x.

"I really like the handle, its so you can attach a chain and use it as a boat anchor .

"I don't feel like I'm operating a mac, I'm just sharing the mac experience".

Funny stuff ...

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2003, 02:34 PM

wow you guys are really taking this way too far...

the video is ironic... IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE.

It's called sketch comedy... SNL did a similar one with Will Farrell... get a sense of humor.

ZackS
Banned
Nov 9, 2003, 02:40 PM

He's obviously just making stuff up for the sake of humor, chill.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2003, 06:08 PM

Here is a breakdown of the whole thing... Everything that he says is in bold.

Editing is all Mac based now... I mean... you know... there are programs out there on the PC but weather you are using Avid or Final Cut Pro, you're working on a Macintosh...

Wrong, plenty of people use Windows for video editing.

Using a Mac is a little different then using a PC, it's not so much operating a computer as it is sort of tricking it, fooling it, into doing what it is you really want to do. Ah, you kind of have to sneak up on a Mac.

Strange, I never have to "trick" my Mac. Maybe in the OS 7-8 days, but that's about the only thing I can think of... and like you don't have to "trick" windows to make it do what you want to do.

I don't feel like I'm operating the Mac so much as I'm just there sharing the Macintosh experience. And if I can do something useful while the Mac is willing so much the better.

Again, he is talking out of his ars.

One of the coolest features of the Macintosh is it's really easy to shut down. Ah, all you have to be doing is using a piece of software and then poof, it's goes away, it's gone, it's shut down. You didn't push any buttons, you didn't close, you didn't even save. It's just gone,

Ummm, "it's just gone?"... You always get some kind of error message.

unless you want to shut down a mac, oh that's a whole 'nother' story. I mean you try to close a program and it locks up and you do that funny, what is it, the cloverleaf period thing. but these unnatural and ultimately useless interrupt keys and then nothing moves you then push the power button and it won't turn off, you go around and unplug it, and you better hope you aren't on a laptop, cause then you have to find the damn battery and try to pull that out or the thing will never shut down.

Has this guy ever tried to push the power button for 5 seconds? It shuts EVERY Mac down. Oh, I'm sorry, you need to read the owners manual to know that... or it's not exactly like Windows"

So I've got my next CD and I slam it into the CD-ROM tray and loe and behold it starts playing all by itself. I'm looking for a way to turn it off finally out of desperation I click and drag the CD into the garbage can , the system locks up. So I got to the cloverleaf period spacebar thing hoping that I can stop the program and I get a little caution window saying "careful, interrupting this program may lock up the system, I try to click OK, but the system is already locked up.

Bullcrap!

I like the handle here. That's so you can attach a chain and use it as a boat anchor.

Very original

the mac is practicing some kind os bizarre psychological warfare on me because I'm working late at night, and out of the corner of my eye I keep seeing this thing jumping up and down, the update manager is bouncing at the bottom of the screen like a jack f@#$ing terrier

So now it looks like he is jumping OS versions... he is now on OS X.

When do you EVER need to find an executable where you can rename files? You would have to go out of your way to do that... or just be a fool.

bullcrap...

, I mean, there is a way to undelete a file,

bullcrap...

if you know what you are doing on DOS you can go in and recover anything that has been corrupted. On a mac, if you loose a file, you run to the store and get a copy of the Mac version of Norton Utilities, you run back only to have Norton go "You idiot, you own a macintosh, the file is ****ing gone, it's just gone."

Again, if you know what you are doing, you can usually get a file back on a Mac. If you have more experience on Windows, naturally it's going to be easier. Are we back on OS 9?

Don't have any tools or any kind of buttons or whatever diales or switches on the bottom of the screen, because if you reach for them, the dock menu comes up, you got to like angle around and slide and dodge the thing to get to the control, it's kind of like boxing with your computer.

OK, I guess so, what application has switches down there. He could always keep the dock on, but I'm guessing he is anal.

I can put it on the bottom, I can put it on the left I can put it on the right, but NO, I can't put it on the top, that's reserved for the mighty blue apple.

Grrrr...

My name is Hunter Cressel, I'm an edditor, and I cut everything you saw tonight on a Macintosh.

Mac kills my inner child.

Again, these people are just trying to make a stink about their company or whatever.

Well, I inturpeted it as a parady from a Mac User who was only just trying to get across his final message, HE DID IT ON A MAC.

All of his claims were blaintant twists of lies. I loved it. It was great.

I know one thing, in my experience all "Cancel" buttons work on a Mac. None (or very few) of the "Cancel" buttons work in Windows.

And why does windows hide that important pop-up message window that you have to click inorder to get the program to do something else behind another window?

I can go on and on. The Mac is an engineering masterpiece. Windows is an operating system wana bee.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Buckaroo:
I know one thing, in my experience all "Cancel" buttons work on a Mac. None (or very few) of the "Cancel" buttons work in Windows.
I love the fact that XP has a error reporting system... It makes me sick every time it pops up.

nobodybutme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 11:19 PM

I thought it was funny. This reactionary, cult mentality is just freaky. The silly, knee-jerk reactions over-analyzing it are just as funny as the short. You all should be embarrassed. I'm embarrassed for you.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 08:33 AM

What's next? 5 reasons not to get an iPod?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 09:32 AM

I dunno about it being funny. If you've seen the video you will

1. see him bashing to hell a powermac
2. see him THROW an imac.

Yeah. Funny. Haha.
Aloha

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2003, 09:56 AM

I'm just saying he could have done the exact same thing with factual information and it would have been funny, when he looks like a clown trying to bash apple, he looks like a fool.

I'm not a mac drone, but at least hit them where it hurts and don't make stuff up.

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 10:14 AM

Good points. The most annoying thing to me, however, is not the video.

It's the fact that at least 3 times a week some random moron will post it publicly on my mac server and say someone popular mac user made it.

:sigh: My only beefs are 1. how panther loves to suck memory like an SUV, and 2. Safari and typing this form it REALLY LAGS!!!!!
Aloha

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2003, 10:23 AM

I'm not a mac drone, but at least hit them where it hurts and don't make stuff up.
...this given that "they" can be hurt.

Over the years I've seen many frustrations, many open letters, many online petitions, many grumpings, and a lot of times we were treated like ****. But we keep on using a Mac.

Because, in the end, it all comes down to the basic, little things that sets Apple apart from the rest.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
What's next? 5 reasons not to get an iPod?
There's only 5?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2003, 11:19 AM

I've read some open letters that have been honest and to the point. A few of them were in regards to OS X 10.0 and how it really wasn't ready for prime time. The fact that Apple pushed it out the door lacking a majority of the functionality of OS 9 was, in my opinion, a major mistake. They should have offered a second round of public beta... and then nailed us for the $129 upgrade.

Other major issues I have:

- No native FTP from the finder.
- OS X is a ram hog
- I still have font issues. OS 9 sucked, but you could manage them.
- The finder still isn't as responsive as it could be.
- Quicktime still feels like a quick carbon port.
- AFP still feels messy...

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 01:06 PM

I'm just saying he could have done the exact same thing with factual information and it would have been funny, when he looks like a clown trying to bash apple, he looks like a fool.

Exactly, I kept saying "BS" throughout the video, by the end, I was hoping he'd pull a muscle swinging that G4 around, or possible shatter his foot kicking the iMac. What a cool guy
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2003, 01:55 PM

If anyone of you had even bothered to learn how to read, you would have seen at the end of the video it was created by Happy Nowhere (http://www.happynowhere.net/) and a simple visit to their site would have revealed all the info about this video: why it was created, who the guy in it was, etc:

http://www.happynowhere.net/mac_parody.htm

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 02:51 PM

So? It's still not funny because very few statements are true therefore the punchline isn't funny. The only 'pardoy' is on the switch format, nothing he says is funny or clever. Now if he had discussed real issues, like metal interface, or something that bugs people or is a real issue, the 'parody' part may have been more encompassing.

If you have to explain your position or the joke, then it's not funny. There is nothing ironic about it other then he used a mac to edit an anti-mac sketch. That's not very funny to me.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Forum Links
Forum Rules