Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook screen flickering (yet again, even after repair)

macbook screen flickering (yet again, even after repair)
hookem2oo7
Senior User
Aug 24, 2007, 12:21 AM

So my 2.0CD MB is back to its flickering ways. Do any of you know just how common this problem is? I've already sent it in once and the repair lasted a little under 4 months before it started flickering again. It's a good time to send it in I guess because the keyboard has been a little flaky (some keys don't respond unless you press them rather hard) which is a problem that has already been repaired just a week after I purchased the unit. Is there some sort of limit before I should ask for a replacement? I don't expect a new machine by any means, but having to send a laptop in 3 times in a year for repairs is rather troubling in my opinion...

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2007, 07:40 AM

I think Apples motto is, 3 repairs or more, send a new one.

Cold Warrior
Aug 24, 2007, 07:59 AM

My wife's MB CD 2.0 GHz recently started flickering. It didn't flicker until shortly after it came back from Apple for repairs to the palm rest (the common staining defect). I want to call them and hope they repair it for free. It's out of warranty, but for widespread and widely-known defects, I think they should repair it for free.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 24, 2007, 09:57 AM

I had my flickering screen fixed, but within a couple days it was flickering again. It only happens when woekn up or first turned on. I will be taking it in for repairs next week probably.

hookem2oo7  (op)
Senior User
Aug 24, 2007, 10:04 AM

^^ that's how the problem on mine was before it was repaired the first time. Now, it flickers horribly when first powered on and continues to flicker (though not as bad) the whole time it is on, whether it be connected to the power adapter or not...

Cold Warrior
Aug 24, 2007, 04:29 PM

Yes, mine continues to flicker regardless of power state or time -- on adapter, off, right from sleep, long after waking, and at low, medium, or full brightness.

hookem2oo7  (op)
Senior User
Aug 28, 2007, 01:40 PM

Update...

I took it in to the Apple store, and they sent it off for repairs yet again. I just got it back this morning and now the hinge makes a cracking noise when opening the screen. I'm pretty upset about the whole thing. Should I take it in and have them send it in for repairs again? I'd rather not, but I don't know what else could be done...

Here's a couple of video clips of the screen hinge noise while i'm opening and closing the display (the noise only happens when I open it) - http://hookem2oo7.no-ip.org/video/VIDEO_00001.3gp http://hookem2oo7.no-ip.org/video/VIDEO_00002.3gp

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 28, 2007, 02:17 PM

Ring Apple, or visit them, and mention that you've had more than 3 repairs and you're not satisfied. Like I said before, they should have replaced the entire thing by now.

hookem2oo7  (op)
Senior User
Aug 28, 2007, 04:07 PM

Just got off the phone. They claim the only thing they can do is ship us another box to mail it off again....what should I do? Try the Apple store?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
Just got off the phone. They claim the only thing they can do is ship us another box to mail it off again....what should I do? Try the Apple store?
Yes-and if you've stuck with one store so far, go to the other one, even if it's out of your way. (I wish San Antonio had more than one Apple Store )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2007, 04:42 PM

Sounds like time for a letter to Uncle Steve...
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

hookem2oo7  (op)
Senior User
Aug 29, 2007, 05:37 PM

I couldn't really afford to send it out again as it's my wife's primary computer for her schoolwork... I tightened 3/4 screws on the very back of the computer (which were VERY loose) and while doing so I noticed the display bezel wasn't snapped in on the bottom of the screen at all. That's what was making the clicking noise. I snapped it into its retainer clips and no more clicking. I submitted a complaint to AppleCare over the phone and by email about the shitty service i received. Maybe someone important will read it and make it right somehow. I don't even want to think about what could be loose on the inside of the computer if they barely threaded in the screws on the back of the bottom case...

Forum Links
Forum Rules