Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Browser for Newt MP 130

Browser for Newt MP 130
sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Apr 2, 2000, 10:06 PM

Im lookin for a simpler web browser for my newt 130...
iv tried Newtscape (bit too slow)
pocketweb (gives memory probs)

i tried Nethopper 3.0, but it sez its not for my version of newt,
its strage tho, kuz the program loads up and comes with the browser window and buttons and all, but then clears and givs me the wrong Newt dialog... looks like it could work they just wont let it....

is there an older of nethopper that will work, or any way of trickin it into thinkin my 130 is a 2x00?

just hope there's other newton users listining !
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

outZider
Apr 3, 2000, 10:53 AM

I own a MessagePad 2000... As far as I know, those are the only three browsers available -- and if you think NewtScape is slow, don't bother with NetHopper. I believe 2.x works with the 130's -- requiring B&W mode -- but not sure of 2.x's speed..

- oZ
- oZ

macrumors.com
Apr 3, 2000, 12:12 PM

Yep, he's right... and there is no way you can trick Nethopper 3.0 to work on a 130. It actually needs the extra system functionality available in NewtonOS 2.1.

Basically, those are you options.

Ah - the Newton... I'm a big fan. The 130 is a bit dated. For a couple of weeks, though, I was using a Seahorse ( http://www.normalkid.com/collector/seahorse.html ), which is basically an industrialized wireless Newton 130. I checked webpages with Nethopper2.0 and telneted into my shell for email with PT100 ( http://www.scrawlsoft.com/products/pt100/info.html ).

arn

------------------
MacRumors.com
http://www.macrumors.com

tim senecal
Apr 3, 2000, 12:15 PM

I'm a newton 2100 user, and as far as I know, all of the web browsers use too much heap to be used on the 130 effectively. Apple's PR claims that NIE works on the 130, but in reality, you will have to use every memory saving technique you can to get anything other than email or telnet to work with NIE on a 130.

sorry, but that pretty much leaves you with the tools you have tried. the only other web browser I know of is LunaSuite, and I know it won't run on anything but a 2x00.

tim

Apr 3, 2000, 12:27 PM

You've found all the options that exist on the 130. Nothing else will run because of the memory (stack size) limitations on the machine. Newtscape is definitely your best option.

Lamont
Apr 3, 2000, 04:51 PM

Which browser do you think is best for the 2100? I've gotten most comfortable with Nethopper. I couldn't get used to NewtsCape (maybe because of its book format) and I don't remeber much of LunaSuite.

sine -''-..-  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Apr 3, 2000, 05:56 PM

Cool, there are Newt users listnin

thanks for the help, i guess Newtscape is the best option for now... I just think it takes to long to copile into a book. oh well, good enuf for readin Slashdot

I sure wish there was a Newton catagory though... we gotta bug the Administration to make one
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

bugs
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2000, 07:33 PM

Best place for this kind of information is the NewtonTalk mail list. Go to http://www.planetnewton.com/
for information about subscribing.

The good thing about Newtscape (once you get the hang of it) is that it is still very well supported by the author. Lots of sensible Newt users are gratefully supporting him in return.

You might keep an eye on the auction sites for a deal on a 2100 also.
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

entropy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2000, 09:41 PM

Not only is Newt's Cape very well supported, it's also still under development (but only slightly, since Steve does have to make a living somehow and sales of Newton software are slow these days.) He's just developed some kind of audio plugin to allow you to play sounds received by SimpleMail.

SimpleMail is also still under development. I don't use it due to some incompatibility with the way I work (I forget what, exactly) but it's a nice little mailer.

I don't know if these things work on an MP 130. They run well and are quite usable on a 2100. I might be buying a PB 2400 as a travel machine, but until then, the Newton does the job very well.

Support these people; register your Newton software.

~ Kiran <[email protected]>

Newt's Cape and plugins (AudInbox, ModSaver, PilotDOC,...)

<http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/newtscape.htm>

SimpleMail:

<http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/road/aah66/>

WL2100
Apr 4, 2000, 04:11 AM

I have to agree, Newtscape is the most capable.

Accepts cookies, jpegs, lots of other stuff that NetHopper 3.2 doesn't(don't think about 2.x or 3.0, too slow and not very usable).

The main problem with any of the browsers is *NOT* the browser. It's the 20 Mhz. cpu of the MP130. The MP2x00 runs(flies actually ) at 162 Mhz., _slight_ speed increase. I have all the Newts.(except 110), I have all the browsers. My main choice is Newtscape(thanx Steve W.), but I use NetHop.3.2 for sites that are quick to download(remember, it's *FREE*).

BTW, I still have Lunasuite, buggy as a M$ product, but neat pkg., but takes too much space, but it's free, but, but,...

...it all comes down to how you use the browser, *BUT* yes, an upgrade of hardware is the *fastest* way to download a webpage, the MP2x00 goes for US$300-500.00, used of course.

I have a 32 meg. Flash 'Linear' '5v/5v' memory card that is always 90%+ used up, and to think my Newt. is over three years old...

...Win.Cr*pEdition, nah!
...Palm/Visor, 'still' not enough to compare to my needs like the Newt. does.
...Psion, good stuff but I don't like to type with one hand.

Newton OS 2.1...

WL2100
Apr 4, 2000, 04:20 AM

BTW, www.pixsolution.com has a 220+Mhz. upgrade available!!!

Hmmm...I've got three MP2Ku's that are getting 'slow'...

...time for the upgrade...then I'll be happy...

Sune Lilb�k
Apr 4, 2000, 07:01 AM

Hopla

Nice to see this lil' Newton chat.

As my question is somewhat similar, I'll not create a new thread, but simply ask.

I am the owner of a 2100, and I've recently aquiered an oooold 2400 baud internal "Newton Fax Modem" from Apple. Can I use this modem to check my mail with, using either the in/out box, simplemail or Eudora Pro for Newton? So far my (reinstalled) internet pack reports all kind of silly errors, when I ask it to use a PC slot modem. Mostly it's the "-16022" I run into...

HAve I forgotten something, or is the modem too old? I've tried telling my newt that it's actually a Megacruise 28.8 modem, in an attemt to fullfill the given requirements from the internet routing software, but the error message is the same, and I run into it even when I leave the PC slots empty.

Any suggestions - do please mail them to me as well as post them here - [email protected]

sine -''-..-  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2000, 05:03 PM

WL2100,
is nethopper 2.X free? and will it work on my 130?

Im looking for a Simple, somewhat quick, nearly featureless browser, just for slashdot and wired and such (so i can read it at skool)

its Nethopper wat i need? kuz iv tried everything else... and where can i get it?
I saw some specs and screenshots and it looks like JUST wat i Need... (ie text only etc)

btw my email is [email protected]

[This message has been edited by sine -''-..- (edited 04-04-2000).]
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

sine -''-..-  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2000, 05:19 PM

Well i see why Nethopper 3 dosent work for my 130. i found this on the info site:
We did investigate the possibility, and found that most GIFs and JPEGs on the Web didn't translate well to the two-color nature of the Newton MessagePad 130.
So it looks like it would work and execute fine on the 130, just the pics dont look rite...

sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

WL2100
Apr 5, 2000, 04:19 AM

Hey Sune-I am the owner of a 2100, oooold 2400 baud "Newton Fax Modem" from Apple. Can I use this modem to check my mail with, using either the in/out box, simplemail or Eudora Pro for Newton?-

...Yes, but it is 'ssslllooowwwwww'!!! Use 'Newton Fax Modem' in setup.
...Simplemail 4.05b and EudoraPro are both free and very useful. Pick which one works best for you. I use www.netstrat.com 'EnRoute 1.4.3b', it's got a great 'POP List Manager'.
...try www.emailman.com for more info. and links.

-So far my (reinstalled) internet pack reports all kind of silly errors, when I ask it to use a PC slot modem. Mostly it's the "-16022" I run into...-

...'-16022' means you have to 'pick' the location of the modem in the internet setup, upper or lower slot.

Hey sine-is nethopper 2.X free? and will it work on my 130? Im looking for a Simple, somewhat quick, nearly featureless browser, just for slashdot and wired and such (so i can read it at skool).-

...well, NetHop. 2.x is *NOT* free. But use which ever you can download and *DO NOT LOAD IMAGES*.
...try here for software... http://newtoncage.webjump.com/
...and NetHopper 2.0
...and This Ol'Newt.
!ooW �)

Forum Links
Forum Rules