Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.2 Out via software update

10.3.2 Out via software update (Page 3)
xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 03:28 PM

I haven't had any problems so far with 10.3.2, running on a Powerbook 17" 1.33 Ghz.

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 04:02 PM

I installed 10.3.2 today, no problems. Startup didn't seem slow, everything seems basically the same. On a 15" Aluminum 1.25 Ghz 512MB RAM

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 04:05 PM

No problems since installing and, if anything, starting up and logging in was faster than before.

mikemako
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 05:46 PM

everything is OK with 10.3.2 over here, except if I log out and am moving the mouse around it will freeze (the pointer cursor). Unplugging & replugging the mouse will not remedy, only a restart. Now I do not move the mouse as I am logging out.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

erw
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 06:04 PM

My machine (DP533 with GF3) still crashes when trying to sleep.

iTunes visuals running at half speed.

This is pathetic....

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 06:38 PM

FW 400 drives are really slow. My dual gig installed fine and seems OK but FW 400 drives sucks ass speed wise. But I could not get it installed on my tibook, I tried 4 times, each time hanging at "optimizing system performance' leaving me with an unfinished update making the system useless.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 10:57 PM

Whew! I just installed 10.3.2 and the startup time just increased dramatically. 2 minutes, 45 seconds until the beachball stops spinning. Quite nasty. (iBook 700mhz and I installed the battery update simultaneously.) And, yes, I tried starting up three times just to make sure.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 11:13 PM

Repair permissions and then play with the machine awhile. It'll get better.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by chabig

Repair permissions and then play with the machine awhile. It'll get better.

I repaired permissions and have been using the machine for a couple of hours. Restarted a couple of times. Each restart is still 2 minutes 40+seconds. What do you mean by "play with the machine awhile?"

The Ayatollah
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Tehran, reprocessing spent fuel rods for my nuclear weapons programme.
Dec 19, 2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I've noticed a big increase in the amount of time it takes to reboot/login/load the desktop and menus so far....I've restarted several times to make sure...that's disappointing, oh well....
I am also having severely lengthened boot times. Argh!!

Life in a theocracy is all good for nobody.
My mullahs, we da last ones left.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2003, 12:51 AM

By "play with the machine awhile" I meant that I believe that prebinding takes place automatically while you're using the machine. Of course, I don't know if this affects boot time, or just app launch time.

I'm reaching for straws...

Chris

workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by The Ayatollah:
I am also having severely lengthened boot times. Argh!!
TiBook 800, 10.3.2, 1 GB RAM:
20" black screen
25" grey Apple screen
20" Login screen
115" Desktop visible -> Finder usable.

I really wonder what makes the disk trash like crazy for almost 2 minutes?!

MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

cambolo
Dec 19, 2003, 07:59 AM

I don't see it. Installed Panther on both a 700MHz iBook and a 1GHz TiBook and successfully updated to 10.3.1 on November 10. Later installed the Security Update of 2003-11-19 on December 5, 2003. Both updates showed in the Software Update windows when they became available and now show in the Installed Updates windows. Neither unit shows the 10.3.2 update. Software Update program runs with no problem and reflects that other updates are available. I know Software Update is working since the new battery update is displayed on the iBook. I have uninstalled uControl and repaired permissions �still no 10.3.2. I know I can update from the Apple website but would like to solve the problem with Software Update. Any suggestions?

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by Jerommeke:
Pfehw. That feels good in a certain way, however fixing the problem would feel a lot better, I guess.
After weeks on the phone with Apple our IT guy got nowhere on the SMB Authentication issue some are having.

One hour on the phone with Microsoft fixed the issue. He got it working now, but only had this to say about Panther.

"well looks like panther is a step backwards looks like it cant do secure channel authentication"

Im not a network guy, so I have NO idea what that means.

Doesn't really metter that much for us. We could connect via AFP no problem all this time. Why he is so gung-ho about using SMB is beyond me.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2003, 08:37 AM

Does anyone else find this:

Sending my powerbook to sleep (17" 1GHz) via the power button takes about 10 to 15 seconds!

[edit] - I managed to edit this message between pressing sleep and the sleep operation.

[edit2] - Ah - my mistake it's a bit of software I have running - Vidi Server. I just happened to notice it at the same time as 10.3.2 was released
( Last edited by Diggory Laycock; Dec 19, 2003 at 08:43 AM. )
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Does anyone else find this:

Sending my powerbook to sleep (17" 1GHz) via the power button takes about 10 to 15 seconds!
I have the same issue on my MDD867!!!!! But it has happened twice in 5 times putting it to sleep.

really wonder what makes the disk trash like crazy for almost 2 minutes?
Run sudo fs_usage in terminal and you will see.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2003, 09:26 AM

I don't think I've seen it mentioned yet, but the desktop no longer appears momentarily before the password dialog when waking from sleep.

Chris

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by erw:
My machine (DP533 with GF3) still crashes when trying to sleep.

iTunes visuals running at half speed.

This is pathetic....
Yeah itunes visuals are running like under 10.0. This is sad. boot times increased on my iMac g4 flat panel also. why does apples 10.x.2 updates have to bring lot of problems. I remember same things happening in 10.1.2 and 10.2.2.
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 09:39 AM

Yup, increadibly slow boot up/restarts.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 02:46 PM

My start ups are fine, same as w/ 10.3.1

But what happens whenever I boot my imac it gives a kernel panic guaranteed on the first startup & maybe a restart, but after that I haven't gone 2 restarts before it finally doesn't crash at the startup.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2003, 03:43 PM

iTunes visuals are really nice here (constant 28-30 fps, no hitching).

iTunes 4.2/10.3.2

-s*

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2003, 03:53 PM

seems to be ral hit or miss regarding issues...I think I'll wait for .3 considering that 10.3.1 has been treating my G5 well..
Joe

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
By "play with the machine awhile" I meant that I believe that prebinding takes place automatically while you're using the machine. Of course, I don't know if this affects boot time, or just app launch time.

I'm reaching for straws...

Chris
One thing I noticed looking at the system log is that 10.3.2 seems to run prebinding routines on all startup items.

I'm not 100% on the timing, but this would slow things down after the boot and before the finder loads. It might appear to be part of the boot process.
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

mikerally
Senior User
Dec 20, 2003, 08:06 PM

I'm not impressed by the 10.3.2 update either.

On my Rev/A 12 Inch Powerbook, I saw boot times increase incredibly...

My Powerbook used to boot in about 58 seconds right to the desktop and ready to use in 10.3.0 and 10.3.1.

Now my Powerbook takes about 1 minute and 58 seconds to do exactly the same thing under 10.3.2.

Also, although my Powerbook is now cooler, but the fan comes on a lot more often (this has been covered in another thread).

10.3.2 has only solved one problem for me, and that was being asked for a password everytime I unmounted a Firewire hard drive.

Not very happy with this update.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2003, 08:26 PM

In the beginning my boot times were higher but now everything is as it was before 10.3.1. I can't say why but I had three kernel panics when my machine came out of sleep that required me to force its shutdown. For some strange reason things started working the way they suppose to work after the third kernel panic.

When you force the machine to shutdown followed by a normal start up, I believe OS X runs file system check. This little routine tries to repair any disk damage. Maybe those who are experiencing problems should try and repair their disk with either the disk utility or another utility such as disk warrior.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2003, 12:28 AM

Why doesn't Apple update the following page with 10.3.2 information at the top?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Weird.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Why doesn't Apple update the following page with 10.3.2 information at the top?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Weird.
'Cause they thought they might have to pull the update back like 10.2.8? Yeeks this is getting creepy
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 01:17 AM

I had no problems initially after upgrading to 10.3.2 on my rev b 17" PowerBook. Now after installing iTunes 4.2(?) and QuickTime 6.5 I've got all kinds of weird things going on. Safari won't launch. Mail won't launch. Software Update launches but then the beach ball spins and the fans begin to run fast. I repaired permissions and did a fsck disk repair. My machine is really screwed up. I don't know whether it's the iTunes upgrade or the QuickTime upgrade that caused these problems, but I installed QuickTime last. Then I was going to install the 12/19 security update when I found out Software Update would no longer run. Any ideas?

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by iDaver:
I had no problems initially after upgrading to 10.3.2 on my rev b 17" PowerBook. Now after installing iTunes 4.2(?) and QuickTime 6.5 I've got all kinds of weird things going on. Safari won't launch. Mail won't launch. Software Update launches but then the beach ball spins and the fans begin to run fast. I repaired permissions and did a fsck disk repair. My machine is really screwed up. I don't know whether it's the iTunes upgrade or the QuickTime upgrade that caused these problems, but I installed QuickTime last. Then I was going to install the 12/19 security update when I found out Software Update would no longer run. Any ideas?
I had almost the same thing happen to me except Safari would run but wouldn't access all of the web pages and others would only render partially. Apple updates also would not download. Couple that with three kernel panics. But for some unknown reason things just started working again. Don't ask me why.

Try shutting your machine down completely and then restart after about a minute.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 01:47 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck.

It's only Apple applications that won't run. They have to be force quit after "launching" even though they don't finish launching. Mail, Safari, iCal, Address Book...none run. Photoshop runs fine. Mozilla Firebird runs fine. That's what I'm using now. I guess I got a very corrupt install of QuickTime 6.5 and will attempt to remove QuickTime entirely to see if that fixes the problem. Any other suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 01:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck.

It's only Apple applications that won't run. They have to be force quit after "launching" even though they don't finish launching. Mail, Safari, iCal, Address Book...none run. Photoshop runs fine. Mozilla Firebird runs fine. That's what I'm using now. I guess I got a very corrupt install of QuickTime 6.5 and will attempt to remove QuickTime entirely to see if that fixes the problem. Any other suggestions would be gladly appreciated.
Do you have a copy of Diskwarrior? If so try booting from the DW disk and repair your hard drive. The only thing I can think of is that when I had my kernel panics I was forced to shutdown my machine. After the forced shutdown OS X performs a fsck. After the third time the machine came up and ran just fine.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 02:11 AM

Thanks again but I think I got it. I deleted QuickTime Player, QuickTime preferences and Software Update plist preferences and all seems back to normal now.

Think I need to get Disk Warrier or perhaps Techtool. I've gone without any kind of repair utility since the switch to OS X. It has been quite awhile and I've been lucky.

Now, to try downloading and installing QuickTime 6.5 again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 02:43 AM

Sunofabitch, it did it again. Now I can't duplicate the same fix as before. Sheesh!

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2003, 08:01 AM

To those people having problems after the update: Were you perhaps running versions of the software that was being updated while the update was busy installing? I know this is not supposed to be a problem, but I generally close everything while downloading and installing an update, and always reboot afterwards, even if it's not necessary.
weird wabbit

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 10:08 AM

Sunofabitch, it did it again. Now I can't duplicate the same fix as before. Sheesh!
Which version of Quicktime are you running. Pro or Non-Pro?

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2003, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by addiecool:
Yeah itunes visuals are running like under 10.0. This is sad. boot times increased on my iMac g4 flat panel also. why does apples 10.x.2 updates have to bring lot of problems. I remember same things happening in 10.1.2 and 10.2.2.
ditto! WTF is up with this? Since 10.3.0 I've noticed the visuals and whatnot are MUCH slower.

While the animated GIFs + textbox things seemed to have been fixed for most people in panther, I think even this machine.. it didn't seem so on spymac.. hrm odd :shrug: Oh well glad to see it's working right now

If unrealircd would compile in 10.2 I'd just revert ... there's way too many bugs in 10.3
Aloha

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
Which version of Quicktime are you running. Pro or Non-Pro?
The Pro version. This is about as odd as anything I've seen. Mail and other Apple apps won't run after a restart but will run after a log out log in. Safari crashes 90% of each time I load a web page. Mozilla runs just fine. Other non-Apple apps run fine.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 12:15 PM

The Pro version. This is about as odd as anything I've seen. Mail and other Apple apps won't run after a restart but will run after a log out log in. Safari crashes 90% of each time I load a web page. Mozilla runs just fine. Other non-Apple apps run fine.
Try this. Unplug all external devices from your computer (that includes your ethernet connection) and then reboot your machine. Then re-establish your network and see if that has an effect.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
Try this. Unplug all external devices from your computer (that includes your ethernet connection) and then reboot your machine. Then re-establish your network and see if that has an effect.
Hmmm, the only device was a PC card. I removed it and turned Airport off and back on. After another reboot, so far, things are working better. Thanks very much! Who'd a thunk?

Sorry if all this has been off-topic. Shoulda started a new thread called "problems after QuickTime upgrade" or something like that.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 02:17 PM

Hmmm, the only device was a PC card. I removed it and turned Airport off and back on. After another reboot, so far, things are working better. Thanks very much! Who'd a thunk?

Sorry if all this has been off-topic. Shoulda started a new thread called "problems after QuickTime upgrade" or something like that.
Everything should work now including your PC card. Your welcome.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by ntt:
Changes appear to be subtle.
Only one's I've spotted are the ability to bounce messages, and view message source (which I believe used to be available as an applescript).
These features could've been there before. As I said, changes appear subtle.

--
ntt
I'm pretty sure those features were there in 10.3.0 (which I'm running.) Most likely, It's just bug fixes... nothing wrong with that.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 12:31 PM

I finally gave up on 10.3.2 yesterday. Reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled 10.3 and upgraded to 10.3.1. The machine booted in 45 seconds!!!!! So we're talking about 4 times as long under 10.3.2 as 10.3.1!! Now, maybe some software I had contributed to the problem but I'm not going to reinstall 10.3.2 in the near future just to find out.

New Year's resolution--don't reinstall 10.3.2!!!

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
I finally gave up on 10.3.2 yesterday. Reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled 10.3 and upgraded to 10.3.1. The machine booted in 45 seconds!!!!! So we're talking about 4 times as long under 10.3.2 as 10.3.1!! Now, maybe some software I had contributed to the problem but I'm not going to reinstall 10.3.2 in the near future just to find out.

New Year's resolution--don't reinstall 10.3.2!!!
Of course now that you've done a clean install, you'd most likely have no problems...
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
Of course now that you've done a clean install, you'd most likely have no problems...
I've done a clean install and then re-installed 10.3.2, and the double long boot times return. So I decided to go back to 10.3.1 and the normal boot times are back.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 07:33 PM

I'm surprised to not see more mention of looking in the system logs for evidence of what is causing longer boot times. I found where mine is waiting for 15 seconds with an error being returned. This didn't occur in 10.3.1

Dec 22 12:57:50 localhost DirectoryService[355]: Launched version 1.6 (v255.1.1)
Dec 22 12:57:55 localhost /usr/sbin/AppleFileServer: Error with bootstrap_look_up on server port after 10 tries: APIFramework/CClientEndPoint.cpp at: 247: Msg (1102) = unknown error code
Dec 22 12:57:56 localhost /usr/sbin/AppleFileServer: Sent launch request message to DirectoryService mach_init port
Dec 22 12:58:05 localhost automount[353]: logout notification received.

15 seconds for AppleFileServer and some unknown error code after a 5 second delay. Followed by another 9 second delay.
Fortunately, I reboot about once every two weeks, usually because of an update.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech

Im surprised to not see more mention of looking in the system logs for evidence of what is causing longer boot times. I found where mine is waiting for 15 seconds with an error being returned. This didn't occur in 10.3.1

If the problems are that minor then, hopefully, Apple will have a minor upgrade available "real soon."

rbottiglieri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2003, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by mikemako:
everything is OK with 10.3.2 over here, except if I log out and am moving the mouse around it will freeze (the pointer cursor). Unplugging & replugging the mouse will not remedy, only a restart. Now I do not move the mouse as I am logging out.
I'm having the same exact problem. Weird, and I don't remember it happening in Jaguar or 10.1, for that matter. Please submit a bug report to Apple re: this (http://bugreport.apple.com), as I already have. That's the only way they'll fix the issue.

Thanks!

tomodachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2003, 01:57 AM

Anybody have this?
I'm not sure this is exactly how it starts, but it seems as though if you have Activity Monitor running and put the machine to sleep, then wake up, AM goes bonkers... Basically, it shows that CPU usage is 100% all the time (even though it's not) and the list of processes is empty... Restarting the app doesn't help, nor deleting the prefs. Only a reboot fixes it.

HouseSold
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 02:55 AM

The longer boot times are echoed here as well on a PB17 1.33.

iTunes visualizer fluctuates between 15-22 frames (was 30-35 frames before).

My D-link 2.0 USB 4 port hub won't wake from sleep anymore, but works from restart.

Battery times start sometimes at 4:25 where before was showing 3:30 or so.

Fans seem to not work; this book runs much cooler than before, so they may not be needed yet. I'll test with something intensive to see responses.

I called Apple about a message I never saw before while running ' /sbin/fsck -f '
The message 'Warning:::cannot locate IOPlatform Monitor' appears, but running '/sbin/fsck -f' a 2nd time and typing 'exit' solves this.

Apple level 2 tech says to back-up, zero all data and start over.

Anyone ever have or hear of this message?

fr0d
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2003, 07:16 AM

That's what I was referring to. I guess what frustrates me is that Apple gives me all sorts of window dressing and genie effects but when it comes down to simple features that other apps provide, like entourage which hasn't been updated in two + years, they simply can't come up with the improvements.
entourage is by Microsoft.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules