Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Classic Startup hanging

Classic Startup hanging
GeeYouEye
Jun 9, 2006, 02:35 PM

I've got a PowerMac G5 running 10.4.6, and Classic won't finish starting up. It used to work, but doesn't appear to now, either from the main System Folder, or one that's on a second drive as a backup from another computer. It gets to the Mac OS 9, Welcome to Mac OS screen (on grey), but never gets to the extensions parade. TruBlueEnvironment takes up close to 100% CPU time (it's a Dual processor machine). If I start up with Extensions Off, it just sits there, eating up cycles. If I start it up normally, it actually goes into a hang (according to Activity Monitor).

I've tried all the standard remedies I can think of: Update Software, restart the computer, Fix Permissions, rebuild the Desktop, trying it from different user and admin accounts, replace the System Folder (installing Classic from Install Disc 2 that came with the machine), and even replacing Classic Startup.app. Nothing works.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I bring order to chaos. You are in chaos windows, you are the contradiction, a bug wishing to be an OS.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2006, 03:46 PM

One time Classic started hanging on startup for me, so I just copied another system folder over. That fixed it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 05:47 PM

I have this exact problem as well. I installed it from the disk onto an external drive, that did not work, i deleted all evidence of classic from the computer. I deleted the .plist files containing the word classic. As well as the system folders.

Finally after doing all of this, i re-installed classic from the install disk that came with the computer. And .... nothing i cannot get past the screen that states "Mac OS 9.2" no extensions follow.

oh and TruBlueEnvironment takes up close to 100% CPU time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules