Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > President Zuckerberg

President Zuckerberg
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2017, 12:12 PM

Seems like Mark is gearing up for some kind of political office. Not in the next year or so but some time down the line. My gut reaction is I have no interest in him, but considering the matter I'm kind of curious who he might appeal to. This too is complicated as I think he's mostly opaque in the political front both out what I think is being apolitical and neutrality being good for business.

Do you buy he's dipping his toe in the political waters? What do you think his goal is? His appeal?

andi*pandi
Jan 19, 2017, 12:24 PM

I can buy that he's bored with tech and wants something new, or wants to influence decision-making. Not sure if he'd be good at it... maybe if he starts as senator? Not that being good at something is requisite for running or even winning a seat.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2017, 01:13 PM

I think he wants influence. I can't pretend to know his politics but if he's anything like a lot of Silicon Valley, he wants his control.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2017, 02:11 PM

I Imagine his ideology being like the Disney Magic Kingdom version of Bioshock.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2017, 11:49 PM

He may like power, but I think he'd hate politics. Too much social anxiety.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 7, 2017, 10:25 PM

This guy will fit right in with politicians.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2017, 02:57 AM

Yeah, the guy is phoney AF. Given his customer satisfaction ratings are worse than Trump's, I can't see how he'd win. But who knows?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2017, 04:55 AM

How many billion users does Facebook have now?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2017, 07:41 AM

and the average IQ of the Facebook kids is about 65.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2017, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
and the average IQ of the Facebook kids is about 65.
I don't think somebody who thinks that climate change is a big global conspiracy should be saying much about lacking intellect.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2017, 10:34 AM

Again besson you are either as shallow and vapid as most other Facebook idiots or you find all those stupid games and BS to be intellectually stimulating. it was apparent to me within a month that Facebook is a total waste of time. Been gone since 2011.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 8, 2017, 10:38 AM

Mmm yes, shallow and pedantic.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2017, 11:34 AM

Even Mark Zuckerberg cant stop the meme that he is running for president - Washington Post

I was pretty godless, and liberal, when I was in my lower 20's. But eventually I grew up. Hopefully thats what we're seeing with Zuckerberg. He's maturing very slowly, but hopefully he will evolve into a wise old conservative by the time he runs for president. It would probably be best if he got out of the echo chamber of big city California for a change. Talk to someone with a different view or whatever.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2017, 12:03 PM

it was apparent to me within a month that Facebook is a total waste of time. Been gone since 2011.
That sounds uncharacteristically judgemental of you. You probably need to put some CAPS in there to sound more like your old self.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 8, 2017, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
I was pretty godless, and liberal, when I was in my lower 20's. But eventually I grew up.
>implying

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
Even Mark Zuckerberg cant stop the meme that he is running for president - Washington Post

I was pretty godless, and liberal, when I was in my lower 20's.
So now you have matured and found god you are happily illiberal?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2017, 06:59 PM

Again besson you are either as shallow and vapid as most other Facebook idiots or you find all those stupid games and BS to be intellectually stimulating. it was apparent to me within a month that Facebook is a total waste of time. Been gone since 2011.
How can I be so smart like you? Please teach me everything you know about the global warming conspiracy (aka the biggest fraud the world has ever seen), sun spots, Hilary's emails, and freedom. After I've learned this will I be able to graduate to clever misspellings of words like 0bama, and getting away with terrible grammar?
( Last edited by besson3c; Aug 8, 2017 at 09:06 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2017, 07:36 PM

"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post

People also hate the politically active wealthy elite generically, and esp. (I presume) people who have never known anything but wealth. Look at who our president is.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2017, 11:57 PM

Facebook has a number of genuinely addictive components to it. People can't stay away. Hating FB and hating Zuck are not the same thing at all. Most users probably still never heard of him.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2017, 12:07 AM

I have nothing new to add other than with my failing eyesight and reading it on a phone, this thread looks like it's about President Zoidberg.

That is all. Carry on.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2017, 12:57 AM

Is it just some Americans that are infatuated with the idea of dropping a business person into a political position with no prior political experience, or is this common throughout the world?

I'm certainly not opposed to giving him a chance, I just don't think that his business experience gives him some sort of edge over his competition.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2017, 01:18 AM

To be fair, we do well as a country in the businessman department.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2017, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
To be fair, we do well as a country in the businessman department.
We do.

But it kind of seems that we collectively think "it worked well here" in terms of free market success and then try to copy and paste that model everywhere. For example, I'm still not convinced that profit motivated insurance companies and healthcare will ever make a good combination.

In terms of politicians it's "success in business, therefore success in politics is likely". I have a tremendous amount of respect for silicon valley minds, so like I said I'm happy to give them a chance with an open mind in looking at their campaigns and platforms, but I don't subscribe to this idea of solving every problem by thinking of that thing or treating that thing as a business.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2017, 04:44 AM

At least putting a businessman into the White House is efficient. It cuts out a whole layer of lobbying. Instead of the businessman paying lobbyists millions of dollars to pay to politicians to get them to do what the businessman wants, they can just get stuck in and do it themselves. Cutting out the middlepolitican as it were.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2017, 05:33 AM

I have nothing new to add other than with my failing eyesight and reading it on a phone, this thread looks like it's about President Zoidberg.

That is all. Carry on.
That would be a step up from now.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
At least putting a businessman into the White House is efficient. It cuts out a whole layer of lobbying. Instead of the businessman paying lobbyists millions of dollars to pay to politicians to get them to do what the businessman wants, they can just get stuck in and do it themselves. Cutting out the middlepolitican as it were.
What good businessman turns down free money from lobbyists once he's in position to profit?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2017, 11:14 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2017, 11:42 AM

Nice watches.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 19, 2018, 03:53 AM

...and now a quick check-in on how things are going

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2018, 04:59 AM

I’m beginning to think things like Facebook and Twitter are untenable models. They’re too close to a utility.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2018, 06:11 AM

I feel like Twitter could be much better than it is without a lot of work.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2018, 06:15 AM

Yeah,,, I should have added “as they are”.

What would you do to Twitter?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2018, 09:08 PM

Some of it is probably possible with the right apps, its been a while since I really delved into Twitter but I'd like to make it easy to split the accounts I follow into categories and then set time constraints for when those sets of tweets appear in my feed and when they don't.
Sometimes Twitter is news, sometimes entertainment, sometimes conversation, sometimes research. There are all sorts of clever ways to create useful modes based on these needs, switching between them and combining them so your feed is always giving you what you want or need.
I'd like to see a more geographical-centric feature set regarding news so that if I want to follow a story I can quickly find the best accounts that are verified closest to get me the most reliable info as soon as possible, just like a network news outlet does. Twitter has a wonderful power to turn a regular joe into a valuable reporter by being in the right place at the right time. Its been a great source of first hand information from places or events where the flow of outbound info has been restricted by human or environmental factors. Revolutions, earthquakes etc.
Notifications when a specific account tweets or when it tweets for the first time in a while. Plenty of scope to customise real time notifications in handy ways.

I feel like Twitter has enormous potential but they've spent all their time trying to work out how best to integrate ads instead of the above considerations.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2018, 01:06 AM

I do wonder how anyone gets use out of the thing. I follow less than 90 people. That’s far more information than I can process.

I was thinking more in terms of harassment, though.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2018, 06:32 AM

Yes, it needs better filtering to reach its potential.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2018, 09:41 AM

Twitter is like drinking water out of a fire hose. It’s easy to get overwhelmed if you try to read the main feed. That’s why it’s just a background thing for me that I casually follow. Only when something catches my eye do I dig in deeper. So I make lists of selected accounts I follow or search for hashtags in order to create a filtered feed when I want to follow something closely.

OAW

andi*pandi
Jul 22, 2018, 05:32 PM

You can make groups in twitter.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2018, 05:38 PM

The phone UI isn’t designed for users to take advantage of the feature.

IOW, I was just told it exists and I still can’t find it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2018, 07:49 PM

https://twitter.com/Mr_Berman/status...05440496283648
In a Monday show live streamed on Facebook, Alex Jones accused Robert Mueller of raping children. He then pantomimed shooting Mueller. "You're going to get it, or I'm going to die trying, bitch.” Facebook says this did not violate its rules.

I’m beginning to think things like Facebook and Twitter are untenable models. They’re too close to a utility.
I have to admit, that's a unique angle. Off the cuff I really don't see it, though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I have to admit, that's a unique angle. Off the cuff I really don't see it, though.
I’m basically saying they have a monopoly, so the options are going to come down to busting them up, or making them public.

I highly dislike both ideas, but I don’t see much choice.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 28, 2018, 08:15 PM

So, I don't think I'm completely grasping your point, so I'll dump some thoughts and let you critique as you see fit.

I don't see Facebook as a monopoly. I mean, yes, as the family/friends-centric platform it totally is. But I do feel there are alternatives to it as far as news is concerned: Twitter and Reddit being the only ones that really come to mind. That said, Facebook's share may still make it a monopoly.

I'm also curious how you would cure its monopoly in the free market. I have only one solution I can think of and I'm not sure if Im even making correct assumptions there.

Last I checked Facebook makes $$$ so I don't see why their model is 'untenable'. It's merely an issue of capitalism and/or philosophy. And the problem is both are libertarian in nature, IMO.

---

Regarding twitter, I have no idea how it can ever realistically turn profitable. Every idea I can think of will generate serious backlash.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2018, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I don't see Facebook as a monopoly. I mean, yes, as the family/friends-centric platform it totally is. But I do feel there are alternatives to it as far as news is concerned: Twitter and Reddit being the only ones that really come to mind. That said, Facebook's share may still make it a monopoly.

I'm also curious how you would cure its monopoly in the free market. I have only one solution I can think of and I'm not sure if Im even making correct assumptions there.

Last I checked Facebook makes $$$ so I don't see why their model is 'untenable'. It's merely an issue of capitalism and/or philosophy. And the problem is both are libertarian in nature, IMO.
As I touched on in the other thread, one of the big questions for a libertarian is how comfortable they are with engaging in anti-competitive practices.

Those who don’t have a problem with it don’t have a problem with monopolies.

Those who do have a problem with monopolies are going to be more comfortable with government interference.

My claim of untenability is because Facebook is a monopoly, not because it’s unprofitable. IOW, I’m in the second group.

The monopoly Facebook has isn’t with news, it’s with interpersonal communication. The news is there only to serve as a means of retaining that monopoly, which is one of the reasons it’s trash.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 29, 2018, 04:16 PM

I'm not sure I understand how the monopoly argument interacts with my criticism that Facebook is taking a libertarian approach to fake news. You may need to ELI5 me on this.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2018, 05:26 PM

The libertarian approach to fake news as I see it is let the market decide its success or failure.

I hate Facebook, so my understanding is hazy, but I get the idea they don’t attempt to emulate the market. They build and weigh a profile of a user and then push them content. It’s an artificial market operating under an entirely different set of rules than the real one.

That’s where the monopoly comes in, because of it, this artificial market has an outsized influence.

Forum Links
Forum Rules