Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math???

Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math??? (Page 13)
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That is not accurate. It's been show repeatedly that FOIA requests have been delayed, stonewalled and outright refused (Most were related just to the Ferguson protests). The entire bullshit with the video is the highlight of high-level manipulation.
I thought that FOIA requests could be delayed, or even outright denied, if releasing such information cold harm a case or place another person's life in danger:

Exemption 5: Information that concerns communications within or between agencies which are protected by legal privileges, that include but are not limited to:

Attorney-Work Product Privilege
Attorney-Client Privilege
Deliberative Process Privilege
Presidential Communications Privilege
Exemption 7: Information compiled for law enforcement purposes if one of the following harms would occur. Law enforcement information is exempt if it:

7(A). Could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings
7(B). Would deprive a person of a right to a fair trial or an impartial adjudication
7(C). Could reasonably be expected to constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy
7(D). Could reasonably be expected to disclose the identity of a confidential source
7(E). Would disclose techniques and procedures for law enforcement investigations or prosecutions
7(F). Could reasonably be expected to endanger the life or physical safety of any individual
Actually, it doesn't appear that it even needs to be that severe, "Could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings", seems to cover this, if the DA chooses to exercise it.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2014, 11:18 AM

I don't believe they've given reasoning on their delays (aside from withholding WIlson's name, which I understood). Remember, these people were charging exorbitant fees just to grab some emails.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 11:22 AM

Do they have to give a public reason? I thought they just filled out the exemption form and submitted it to the AG's office.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Do they have to give a public reason? I thought they just filled out the exemption form and submitted it to the AG's office.
They've already done a lot of explaining about various aspects of the info they have and haven't released.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 11:50 AM

Can I get any sources on this? As in, major media requests that were obfuscated or denied?
My reading of it is that there were no "major media requests" because they accepted the distance Chief Belmar stated prima facie. The gentlemen who wrote the article noticed the discrepancy and has made repeated requests for the STL County PD to explain it. And his requests have been ignored. It's not a huge deal now because the major news outlets have yet to pick up on it. We shall see how it all unfolds.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 11:54 AM

Assuming this photo is accurate, once again, I say a trial in necessary to properly vet the facts.

Edit: Does it take into account whatever distance Wilson ran chasing after Brown? Or did he fire from just outside his SUV?
Believe me. The photo is accurate. And you are correct, a trial is warranted for sure. To answer your question I'll just quote Chief Belmar's statement again ... verbatim:

Originally Posted by STL County Police Chief Belmar
The entire scene, from approximately the car door (of Officer Wilson) to the shooting, is, uh, about 35 feet."
Clearly that's not the truth. Wilson chased Brown down Canfield Dr. nearly 3 times as far as the STL County PD stated.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2014, 11:58 AM

The entire scene, from approximately the car door (of Officer Wilson) to the shooting, is, uh, about 35 feet."
This could be interpreted to mean that Wilson fired shots 35 feet from the SUV. That would lower the distance from 108 to… 73 feet? Still quite a distance.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 12:43 PM

^^^

Indeed. A stretch but if true it's still quite a discrepancy. Maybe he meant to say 35 yards instead of feet. But he said 35 feet TWICE in the press conference. This is been repeated throughout the media and taken as fact. And when questioned on it by someone who went and measured it in person several times ... the response has been utter and complete silence. Something just doesn't add up.

That being said, this gentlemen's analysis coincides with the statement of one of the white construction workers that I mentioned earlier ....

There is no way to determine how many witnesses have spoken to law enforcement without making public statements. The worker acknowledged that his account could be valuable to the case because he did not know either Brown or Wilson and had no ties to Ferguson.

The worker said he saw Brown on Aug. 9 about 11 a.m. as Brown was walking west on Canfield Drive, toward West Florissant Avenue.

He said Brown struck up a rambling, half-hour conversation with his co-worker.

The co-worker could not be reached for comment through his employer. He previously told KTVI (Channel 2) that he had uttered a profanity in frustration after hitting a tree root while digging. Brown heard him and stopped to talk.

Brown “told me he was feeling some bad vibes,” the co-worker told KTVI in a video that aired Aug. 12. “That the Lord Jesus Christ would help me through that as long as I didn’t get all angry at what I was doing.”

The worker interviewed by the Post-Dispatch said he paid attention to little of the conversation. He said he heard Brown tell his co-worker that he had a picture of Jesus on his wall; and the co-worker joked that the devil had a picture of him on the wall.

The co-worker told KTVI that Brown promised to come back and resume their conversation; Brown walked away, and the workers returned to their job.

About a half-hour later, the worker heard a gunshot. Then he saw Brown running away from a police car. Wilson trailed about 10 to 15 feet behind, gun in hand. About 90 feet away from the car, the worker said, Wilson fired another shot at Brown, whose back was turned.

The worker said Brown stumbled and then stopped, put his hands up, turned around and said, “OK, OK, OK, OK, OK.” He said he told investigators from the St. Louis County police and the FBI that because of the stumble, it seemed to him that Brown had been wounded.

A private autopsy showed that all but one of his gunshot wounds came while Brown was facing Wilson. Shawn L. Parcells, who participated in the autopsy, said one of the wounds to the arm could have occurred when Brown was facing away from Wilson. “It’s inconclusive,” he said. St. Louis County and federal autopsy results have not been released.

Wilson, gun drawn, also stopped about 10 feet in front of Brown, the worker said.

Then Brown moved, the worker said. “He’s kind of walking back toward the cop.” He said Brown’s hands were still up.

Wilson began backing up as he fired, the worker said.

After the third shot, Brown’s hands started going down, and he moved about 25 feet toward Wilson, who kept backing away and firing. The worker said he could not tell from where he watched — about 50 feet away — if Brown’s motion toward Wilson after the shots was “a stumble to the ground” or “OK, I’m going to get you, you’re already shooting me.”
The co-worker in the KTVI interview said he “starting hearing pops and when I look over … I seen somebody staggering and running. And when he finally caught himself he threw his hands up and started screaming, ‘OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK.’”

He said the officer “didn’t say, ‘Get on the ground.’ He didn’t say anything. At first his gun was down and then he … got about 8 to 10 feet away from him … I heard six, seven shots … it seemed like seven. Then he put his gun down. That’s when Michael stumbled forward. I’d say about 25 feet or so and then fell right on his face.”

No witness has ever publicly claimed that Brown charged at Wilson. The worker interviewed by the Post-Dispatch disputed claims by Wilson’s defenders that Brown was running full speed at the officer.

“I don’t know if he was going after him or if he was falling down to die,” he said. “It wasn’t a bull rush.”
Workers who were witnesses provide new perspective on Michael Brown shooting : STLToday.com

Some quick background. There are three major areas in STL County. We call them North County (Ferguson is in this area), West County, and South County. The construction worker eyewitnesses mentioned in this article are a couple of guys from Jefferson County which is even further south than South County. A part of town that is making the transition from being a primarily rural area to an "exurb". It's also a part of town that was until recently the "meth capital of the US" ... but I digress. My point is that these are a couple of white guys from the completely opposite side of the tracks! So no one can say it's just "groupthink" among the black witnesses. Or just a bunch of "North County" residents with an axe to grind. They are telling what is essentially the same story as the witnesses from the area. And one of them placed Wilson "about 90 feet away from the car" when "Wilson fired another shot at Brown, whose back was turned." That certainly seems to corroborate Mr. King's analysis and also contradicts Chief Belmar's statement. Just saying ...

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 12:58 PM

Amnesty International report on human rights abuses in Ferguson ....

On the Streets of America: Human Rights Abuses in Ferguson | Amnesty International USA

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2014, 01:14 PM

Wilson, gun drawn, also stopped about 10 feet in front of Brown, the worker said.

Then Brown moved, the worker said. “He’s kind of walking back toward the cop.” He said Brown’s hands were still up.
The way I understand this is, Wilson fired when Brown was only ten feet away and moving towards him. This seems like a reasonable distance to be threatened.

Wilson began backing up as he fired, the worker said.
Then somehow while firing those few shots, Wilson backed up a lot. Like, at least 15 feet in what I imagine is a few seconds.

After the third shot, Brown’s hands started going down, and he moved about 25 feet toward Wilson, who kept backing away and firing.
This is unclear. Did he move 25 feet closer to Wilson? Did he close the distance to 25 feet?

So, uh, yeah. Will need to wait to hear actual testimony.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2014, 01:15 PM

Now I'm totally confused.

One witness says Wilson chases after Brown and gets 8-10 feet away before he fires. That would mean there was a 30 yard foot chase if the map was accurate.

Has any other witness described this series of events?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 01:39 PM

The basic recap is this ....

1. Wilson shoots Brown from inside the car.

2. Brown takes off running.

3. Wilson exits the vehicle and chased Brown over 100 feet down Canfield Dr. Firing multiple shots as Brown's back was turned. IOW ... Brown is NOT a threat because he's unarmed and fleeing.

4. Wilson fires another shot which several witnesses thought may have hit or grazed Brown in the arm.

5. Brown stops, turns around with his hands in the air and says "Ok, Ok, Ok!!!".

6. Some say Brown walked back towards Wilson, others say Wilson shot first. They all say Brown still had his hands in the air. And Wilson who was supposedly trying to "apprehend him" unleashes another barrage of bullets.

7. Brown stumbles forward in the direction of the cop as he's being shot, Wilson continues to fire, and Brown and collapses about 108 feet away from Wilson's vehicle.

There are at least eight eyewitnesses who are essentially telling this story. Some minor details differ as expected because people are viewing from separate angles. Some saw it all go down and others only saw portions. But when it's all pieced together this is what it boils down to. And more importantly, there are no eyewitness who have come forwarded publicly and claimed that Brown in any way "charged" or "bum rushed" Wilson. Moreover, there has been no physical evidence produced which contradicts the eyewitnesses statements. If that doesn't at least warrant a trial by jury then I certainly don't know what does.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2014, 01:43 PM

May I ask, as a favor, for you to hook me up with one or two other witness statements which corroborate the lengthy chase?

Links are plenty.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 02:03 PM

^^^^

See my post near the bottom of page 12. The issue is that STL County Police Chief publicly stated ....

Originally Posted by STL County Police Chief Belmar
But the physical evidence shows that the distance between Wilson's parked vehicle and Brown's body was approximately 108 feet. Brown's body was left in the hot sun for 4 hours in the exact spot where he was killed. There has been an ongoing memorial at that spot ever since. Again I know this because I've seen it with my own two eyes. I don't recall if any of the witnesses other than the construction worker happened to mention the distance between Brown and Wilson's vehicle in their public statements. But in all honesty that's not really relevant. What matters is what the tape measure says. The witnesses stated that Brown was fleeing and Wilson was pursuing and firing. We know where the initial encounter occurred and we know where Brown ended up with his brains all over Canfield Dr.

One possible explanation here is that Belmar meant 35 yards and not 35 feet. But he's yet to make such a clarification even when requested. The other possible explanation is what Dakar stated ... and that 35 feet was where he started shooting after exiting his vehicle. But that's a stretch because now he would have to explain how an unarmed Brown ran away another 70 feet but somehow posed a threat. And when you measure where Brown's body was in relation to the vehicle ... which would constitute the "entire scene" by any reasonable definition ... that is not even remotely close to 35 feet.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2014, 02:06 PM

Oh my
Silicon Valley startup unveils Internet-connected smart guns for cops | Ars Technica
Yardarm Technologies' sensor is a small device that goes inside gun handles and provides dispatchers with real-time geo-location tracking information on the weapon. The Yardarm Sensor also sends alerts when a weapon is unholstered or fired, and it can "record the direction of aim, providing real-time tactical value for commanders and providing crime scene investigators valuable data for prosecution," the company said.
Makethischeap makethischeap makethischeap

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 02:16 PM

More analysis from the guy who I cited earlier regarding the distance discrepancy ....

How Does Tennessee v. Garner apply to Darren Wilson and Mike Brown?

Tennessee v. Garner is going to be huge in this case. In essence, Wilson has to prove that he used lethal force to kill Brown because he had a reasonable expectation that Brown was about to be a threat to him or others. While it is universally accepted by all sides that Brown was unarmed, it appears, from early police statements, that Wilson is claiming that Brown assaulted him and attempted to take his firearm before he fled on foot.

Three main factors in the Wilson case demonstrate that the officer did, in fact, violate the basic premise of Tennessee v. Garner:

1. Wilson stopped to make contact with Brown because Brown and Dorian Johnson were jaywalking. Jaywalking, of course, would never warrant a shooting death. Johnson and other eyewitnesses claim that Wilson, after passing them up on Canfield Drive, reversed back toward them in a rage, screeching his tires, and throwing open his door. Johnson and other eyewitnesses also claim that it was Wilson who was grabbing and pulling at the throat of Brown before Wilson pulled out his gun and shot Brown through the window of the SUV. If true, it is reasonable to expect that Brown and Johnson would flee for their safety. What recourse does a citizen have if they believe they are being harassed or assaulted by a police officer?

If none of that is true, and Brown did indeed assault Wilson and attempt to take his gun, it takes us to point No. 2.

2. Wilson shot at Brown's back six times as Brown attempted to run away. It appears that shot No. 7 grazed Brown's arm and caused him to turn around and surrender. Six eyewitnesses all agree that Brown, verbally and physically surrendered to Wilson. In essence, if Wilson had killed Brown while he was fleeing because Wilson believed Brown to be a threat to public safety, he'd have an easier defense, but that's not what happened. His shots at the back of Brown weren't fatal, so Wilson cannot claim his lethal shots at Brown, as stated in Tennessee v. Garner, were at a fleeing suspect whom he believed to be a danger to himself or society, which takes us to point No. 3.

3. Brown was shot six times. The first time Brown was shot was at Wilson's SUV. We know the second time he was shot was shot No. 7 for two key reasons:

(a) Eyewitnesses reported they saw Brown get shot while he was running away, his body jerked, and then Brown turned around.

(b) Confirmed audio of the shooting has a three-second pause during which witnesses say Brown turned around to surrender. After the pause, only four more gunshots are heard. These four gunshots are not enough for him to be shot a total of six times while facing Wilson. It is, therefore, reasonable to assume that shot No. 7 of 11, from behind, was the second time Brown was shot, and that shots No. 8 through No. 11 were the final four times he was shot.

All of the available autopsy results confirm that the two fatal shots to Brown were in his eye and on the crown of his head, which had to have been fired while Brown was falling. These fatal shots clearly violate Tennessee v. Garner on several levels.

(a) Brown was no longer fleeing when the final four shots were fired at him by Wilson, but was facing him and surrendering.

(b) Brown, missing one sandal, unarmed, shot once by the SUV, then again from behind, was facing Wilson—the opposite of a public safety risk. Wilson clearly paused and had enough time to quickly judge the risk, but proceeded to shoot anyway. Still, before firing the final fatal two shots to Brown's head, Wilson shot Brown twice more in his arms, making him even less of a safety risk to Wilson or anyone else. Eyewitnesses say that Brown, in visible pain, curled his arms to his stomach at this point. In spite of this, more lethal force was used and two fatal headshots ended Brown's life.
Is it legal for the police to shoot an unarmed, surrendered citizen?

The part I highlighted provides a possible explanation for the STL County PD trying to establish that the "entire scene" was only 35 feet. The closer Brown's shooting is placed to the supposed "struggle for Wilson's gun" then the stronger the defense case. The further away it is then Wilson quickly runs out of excuses.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 02:43 PM

More analysis I've been following regarding these grand jury "leaks" ...

We've had stories of Wilson supposedly having an "orbital fracture" on his eye socket to almost being knocked out with punches to the face in a "fight for his life". Yet all the photo/video of him at the scene show no visible injury or him evening touching or favoring an injured area on his person. No scratches. No bruises. Not a hair out of place.

Also, word on the street is that someone in the STL County PD is the source of the "leaks". And it looks like I called it perfectly on how the supposed "7-8 black witnesses" whose testimony "largely supports" Wilson's story were the people we already know about and who were simply describing the struggle by the side of the vehicle which was never in dispute. But for some reason, elements with the STL County PD want to give the impression that these are new witnesses that are backing everything Wilson has to say and are "afraid to come forward" even though they've already told their story publicly!

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2014, 03:42 PM

@OAW

This distance thing isn't adding up.

The only way the distance to the SUV is materially relevant is if they try to defend shooting someone in the back.

We have Wilson's statement. He's claiming that didn't happen, so there's no value in preparing a defense for it.

As for the FPD not correcting themselves, I think the consensus is they've done enough damage, and would benefit themselves from a legal standpoint by S-ing TFU.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 04:55 PM

^^^

Well he has to prepare a defense for it because there are 6-8 witnesses who claimed Wilson did in fact shoot at Brown as he was fleeing. Now the autopsy results show that Brown was not hit by any of those shots in his back. But that doesn't mean that Wilson wasn't shooting at him and missing. Furthermore, the autopsy results do show injuries consistent with him being hit/grazed in the arm with one of those shots as described by the witnesses. Prompting him to stop, turn around, and physically and verbally surrender to Wilson prior to being shot four more times. We have the confirmed audio that captured a series of shots, a 3 second pause, and then four more shots at the moment Brown was killed. Now according to an anonymous source making a statement attributed to Wilson, he is claiming that after 2 shots were fired inside the vehicle he did not fire his weapon again until Brown "turned back and charged at him" ....

Wilson told investigators that during a struggle for his pistol inside a police SUV, Brown pressed the barrel of Wilson's gun against the officer's hip, the Post-Dispatch reported, citing a source with knowledge of his statements.

The officer tried to prevent Brown from reaching the trigger, the source told the newspaper, and when he thought he had control, he fired. But Brown's hand was blocking the mechanism, the Post-Dispatch reported.

Wilson said he fired two shots, and Brown was hit in the hand and ran. Wilson told investigators he fired again when Brown turned back and charged at him, according to the paper.
Ferguson protest heats up after autopsy report leak - CNN.com

Well I submit that most definitely makes the distance from the SUV materially relevant because it's one thing to claim that Brown "turned back and charged at him" prior to Wilson taking his first shot outside the vehicle at approximately 35 feet away. But it's quite another to make this claim at 100 feet.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 05:55 PM

I've mentioned much of this myself throughout the thread. Like how Brown supposedly "pressed the barrel of Wilson's gun against the officer's hip". But as you can see from the photos of Wilson at the scene he is right-handed and carries his service pistol on his right hip. So we are to believe that for some strange and unknown reason Brown decided to reach into the SUV through the driver's window, reach across Wilson's body, grab the weapon that's between Wilson's right leg and the center console, and then press the barrel against Wilson's hip. All while beating Wilson up one side of his head and down the other. But the only person with any visible injuries after all of this is Brown. WTF kind of contortionist sh*t is that?

The most frustrating thing about all of this is how quick a lot of people are to throw common sense out the window and defend something that is so obviously and utterly preposterous! But the most telling thing about all of this is how that subset of those people who are the first to claim they don't trust the government or the media are downright eager to do both when an unarmed black male is killed by a white cop.

OAW

PS: The tweets should be read from bottom to top.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 06:14 PM

Another very common phenomenon where black undercover police officers are assaulted/killed by white officers. And I've yet to see a single case the other way around.

A plainclothes New York City police officer kicked his undercover colleague in the head with a force that reverberated through video, taken by a professional photographer who shot the footage after he happened upon the scene after stepping off a train, DNAinfo New York reports.

The plainclothes officer apparently mistook his colleague for a suspect, delivering the blow as soon as he walked up on the scene, the video obtained by the news site shows.

According to DNAinfo New York’s report, the officer responsible for the kick, who is from the 60th Precinct although his identity was not released, was stripped of his gun and badge and put on modified duty. The incident is under investigation by the Internal Affairs Bureau, as well as Brooklyn district attorney’s office.

The incident took place sometime in January, officials told the news site, inside Coney Island’s Stillwell Avenue station, but the footage has just been released.

A uniformed officer and an undercover officer started talking with a suspect before struggling with him to the ground in an attempt to arrest him. Suddenly, more officers (mostly in uniform) began to flood the station, before one plainclothes officer in jeans, sweatshirt and boots walked in, looked down and delivered the kick to his colleague’s head.

The plainclothes kicker then began to join in on detaining the suspect, before realizing the mistake he made and rubbing his colleague’s head. He then turns back to the accused fare-beater, punching him several times in the face.

According to DNAinfo New York, the New York Police Department has refused to identify the officer as he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge and authorities have sealed the case.

NYPD cop kicks fellow officer in the head | YouTube.com
Watch: NYPD Officer Kicks Fellow Cop in the Head With Boot, Thinking He’s Suspect - The Root

All this over a fare jumper.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2014, 04:50 PM

Charges dropped in the case for which Darren Wilson received his "commendation".

Drug Case Dropped Over Ferguson Officer No-Show - ABC News

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2014, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Charges dropped in the case for which Darren Wilson received his "commendation".

Drug Case Dropped Over Ferguson Officer No-Show - ABC News

OAW
"Commendation"? So, it isn't possible for a person to do something meritorious one day, and then do something you don't respect on another? You have so much to learn about human nature.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2014, 09:28 AM

All this over a fare jumper.
…and one his colleagues had already acquired. I heard the person taking the video cackles in delight because she knows he just kicked a cop.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2014, 10:20 AM

The video in this article is absolutely heartbreaking. And the fact that the police are claiming that the officer was not wrong to draw his weapon is precisely the mentality among too many officers cops that causes the rift between them and they communities they are supposed to be serving.

Official: Deputy not wrong to point gun at 2 men | USAToday.com

OAW

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2014, 10:48 AM

The video in this article is absolutely heartbreaking. And the fact that the police are claiming that the officer was not wrong to draw his weapon is precisely the mentality among too many officers cops that causes the rift between them and they communities they are supposed to be serving.

Official: Deputy not wrong to point gun at 2 men | USAToday.com

OAW

Heartbreaking?? Really??? I think you are being overly dramatic !

The driver had been smoking marijuana, and evaded arrest!

"At about 4 p.m. Sunday, the deputy, whose name wasn't released, was driving south on Washington Street toward La Quinta when he spotted a Chrysler 300 blocking the middle lane near Avenue of the States.

Shouse said the deputy approached the car and found a disoriented, somewhat unresponsive driver. After noticing the smell of marijuana, he called paramedics for a medical emergency.

Natividad said he knew his friend wasn't well, but he didn't know he was under the influence of marijuana.

The deputy reached into the car to shut off the ignition, but the driver hit the gas and drove west on Avenue of the States, Shouse said.

The deputy followed the Chrysler until it pulled over a short distance from the intersection. That's when the two men got out of the car — something Shouse advises no one do during a traffic stop in order to avoid a confrontation.

"Our officers don't know the intent of these subjects," he said.

The deputy, not knowing if the men were armed, maintained a safe distance from the pair and pointed his gun as he ordered them to get on the ground, Shouse said. The driver, Michael Jude Jean-Baptiste, 26, of La Quinta, obeyed after awhile, but his passenger continued to ask why the deputy was pointing a gun at them.
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by unicast reversepath View Post
Heartbreaking?? Really??? I think you are being overly dramatic !

The driver had been smoking marijuana, and evaded arrest!
I believe that's the relevant portion here. The guy with the gun pointed at him was NOT the driver. Had committed NO crime. Yet he still had a cop pointing his gun at him for NO REASON. Now perhaps you are of the mindset that the only person with a right to feel "safe" in that situation was the cop? If so all I can say is that I strongly disagree. A law-abiding citizen should not have to be threatened with a gun for some officer cop to feel "safe". If it takes all of that then clearly someone needs to find a new profession.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2014, 01:14 PM

If I have a cop with their hand in my car, trying to turn off my ignition, and I drive away, holy shit yes I'm going to get a gun drawn on me at some point.

The passengers in my car would get a gun pointed at them too, and it would be my fault.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2014, 01:19 PM

Yeah, I'm not outraged either. Some guy guns it when you show up, you're going to be suspicious of why he did it, even if he pulls over.

---

You want outrage, go here: Philly Officer Caught on Cam Threatening Teen Will be Disciplined: Police | NBC 10 Philadelphia
“Big man, do we have a problem?” the officer asks. “Because I notice that you keep trying to make eye contact with me. Is there a problem?”

The teen replies to the officer though from the video it’s unclear what he says.

“Okay, well keep f*****g walking,” the officer replies. “The next time you look me in my f*****g eye, I’m gonna beat the s**t out you!”
I feel like this is a cliché about eye contact and knowing your place. Jesus christ. But on the bright side, this guy is getting taken to task.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2014, 01:25 PM

And didn't actually beat the shit out of someone.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
And didn't actually beat the shit out of someone.
On camera.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2014, 01:46 PM

I was purely discussing a five minute period of time.

All other moments of time take their chances.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
If I have a cop with their hand in my car, trying to turn off my ignition, and I drive away, holy shit yes I'm going to get a gun drawn on me at some point.

The passengers in my car would get a gun pointed at them too, and it would be my fault.
I'm certainly not defending the actions of his boy who was driving. I'm just saying that there were several things said that should have given the officer cop pause regarding his decision to draw a weapon.

Officer: You too get on the ground.

Guy: I didn't do anything.

Officer: Get on the ground!

Guy: I didn't do anything.

Officer: I know! Get on the ground until I figure it out!
I'm sorry ... but WTF? The cop just admitted that this guy had done nothing wrong but he threatened him with a gun anyway?

Guy: We are not a threat to you. Why do you have the gun pointed at me? I am not a threat. I got out of the car and surrendered to you. Right here and you're pointing a gun at me! You're pointing a gun at me!

Officer: Yes I am! Now get on the ground!

Guy: Are you going to shoot me?

Officer: If you run away ...

Guy: I am not going to run away I am not a threat to you!
So here the cop doubles down on pointing the gun at this guy even though he had just surrendered to him peacefully. Again, it was his dumb ass buddy who drove off from the cop ... not him.

Guy:I realize that what just happened here ... yeah ... it was a violation of the law. But it doesn't require for you to pull out a gun it's not a threat! At least you can use your sense. Come on! It's one man talking to another man. Eliminate the gun or the badge ... you're a man! You're a man! You're a man behind that badge! Be like a man. That's a coward pointing that gun at me. I am standing right here. Defenseless. I am not doing anything deputy! I am not going to do anything. There is no reason why I have two guns pointed at me. There is none. I am not doing anything. I am a law-abiding citizen. I served in the United States Army! Ok I am scared for my freaking life right now. I got two guns pointed at me . I got two guns pointed at me for nothing! I am standing right here. This is a violation of my rights!
So now this guy is trembling in fear and crying because backup has arrived and he immediately drew his weapon too. Can't blame the second cop ... that's what he was supposed to do. The guy is trying to get the first cop to remember his own basic humanity and to respect his as well. But to no avail. And why was the cop pointing a gun at a guy who he had already said had done nothing wrong again? Where was the threat that made all of that even necessary? Or was it simply because he could when he didn't get obedience to a command he had no reason whatsoever to give in the first place?

It seems to me that he could have just as easily put his weapon away, kept his hand on it, and told the guy to just stay put and don't move. Which is precisely what the guy was doing anyway. And that would have gone a long way towards not only de-escalating the situation ... but also freeing him up to attend to the driver which was the reason for the stop in the first place. Just saying ...

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2014, 03:06 PM

Sure. After a car chase, just tell the person to stay put.

Makes total sense. /s

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2014, 03:13 PM

As high as the driver was it a "car chase" in the white Bronco sense of the term at best.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
"Commendation"? So, it isn't possible for a person to do something meritorious one day, and then do something you don't respect on another? You have so much to learn about human nature.
His "meritorious" act was subject to question even before the Mike Brown killing.

*Darren Wilson has been so MIA since fatally shooting unarmed teen Michael Brown in Ferguson this summer, that he also hasn’t shown up to court dates involving cases prior to the Brown killing.

It’s now being reported that a total of six criminal cases have been dismissed, because Wilson, as the arresting officer, isn’t showing up to court to testify.

Ed Magee, spokesperson for the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney, told NBC News the cases were all dismissed because Wilson, who has not been seen in public since August 9, “wasn’t available.” Wilson will not be penalized for this act, say Magee, adding “We don’t get people in trouble for not showing up for court.”

Magee told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that a case dismissed on Monday was the “sixth low-level drug case connected to Wilson to be dropped in recent weeks.” This most recent case, brought against Christopher Brooks who was arrested in 2013, is a felony drug charge.

Wilson was a no-show for September’s preliminary hearing in the case, then avoided a grand jury appearance as well. As the primary witness, the case could not proceed without him and the judge ruled to dismiss it. This particular arrest, notes the Post-Dispatch, “had led to a commendation for Wilson in front of the City Council earlier this year.” Brooks, however, claimed Wilson had beat him during the arrest while he was handcuffed and helpless.

A grand jury is still reviewing evidence in the case between Michael Brown and Wilson.
Officer Darren Wilson Missing His Court Dates in Ferguson

And Mr. Magee claiming that "We don't get people in trouble for not showing up for court" is simply laughable on its face. People around here get in trouble all the time for not showing up for court. Especially over traffic citations in these bogus little "municipalities" that are only a few blocks long. And end up with plenty arrest warrants and fines as a result.

The good news in all this is that these guys won't be going to jail over what is in all likelihood a marijuana possession charge.

OAW

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2014, 07:45 PM

I believe that's the relevant portion here. The guy with the gun pointed at him was NOT the driver. Had committed NO crime. Yet he still had a cop pointing his gun at him for NO REASON. Now perhaps you are of the mindset that the only person with a right to feel "safe" in that situation was the cop? If so all I can say is that I strongly disagree. A law-abiding citizen should not have to be threatened with a gun for some officer cop to feel "safe". If it takes all of that then clearly someone needs to find a new profession.

OAW
There is a legal term called reasonable suspicion - ever heard of it?

Does not matter if he was a passenger, it was a clear case of suspicion of guilt by association.

Evading the cops attempt to shut off the ignition and driving away was stupid enough, but them both jumping out of the car when the driver had second thoughts and decided to stop was primo ignorance.

They both would have been shot full of holes if they tried that in LA!

There ARE crazy sob's that DO pull out guns and shoot cops, so no sympathy for the two idiots - their actions went way beyond suspicious and the cop was well within his rights to do what he did, and that's the bottom line.

I would have tazered the hell out of Mr "I know my rights" after the third time he refused to follow my lawful instructions.
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2014, 09:24 PM

^^^

So we are just going to IGNORE the part where the cop acknowledged that the guy had done nothing wrong? Because it seems like that flies directly in the face of this "reasonable suspicion" argument.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2014, 05:23 PM

I've said it before in this thread but it bears repeating. This is why many in the STL area ... especially within minority community ... think that STL County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch should recuse himself from the Mike Brown case:

- His extensive current family ties to STL County PD.

- His father who was also STL County PD was shot and killed in the line of duty by an African-American criminal

- In FOUR previous cases of white cops shooting unarmed black men he has NEVER indicted the police officer.

- Has been proven to have lied to the public about the nature of grand jury testimony in the most recent, high profile case of white cops shooting unarmed black men. He claimed publicly on several occasions that all the police at the scene corroborated the story of the two officers who did the shooting. Namely, that the vehicle the two men were in lunged forward toward them and that was why they opened fire in "self-defense". He did this to calm the outrage in the public over the officers not being indicted. But it turns out that of the dozen or more officers on the scene only 3 made that claim. The two officers being investigated and another officer that even McCulloch was considered filing perjury charges against because his testimony was so out there. And the federal investigation also PROVED that the car never moved.

This man has demonstrated repeatedly that he is biased in favor of the police in situations where unarmed black men come up killed by them. Which is why when he took this case to the grand jury ... comprised of nine whites and three blacks in one of the most notoriously racist metropolitan areas in the country ... instead of a probably cause hearing we knew the "fix was in". Now we have all these selective leaks coming out that are obviously designed to support Darren Wilson and his office refused to even investigate the source. McCulloch refused to even recommend charges and left it up to the jury to figure all that out. All that to say this. Please review the public statements of 7 eyewitnesses who saw Darren Wilson chase Mike Brown down the street shooting at him. And then witnessed Brown stop, turn around with his hands in the air, only to have Wilson execute him. In broad daylight. One guy even live-tweeted it as it happened and has a picture of Wilson standing over Brown's body immediately afterwards. And then ask yourself if justice doesn't at least demand a trial?

The complete guide to every public eyewitness interview in the shooting death of Mike Brown | DailyKos.com

Direct links to YouTube, CNN, USA Today, STL Post Dispatch, and other news sites referenced in the DailyKos article above. Again, 7 eyewitnesses in broad daylight are telling what is essentially the same story. If the STL County grand jury declines to indict Wilson or indicts him with a "slap on the wrist" charge ask yourself what that's all about? Did all these people who suffer from some sort of collective hallucination?

Dorian Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQeni0qt8Vo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-wlDI6hg18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpLB4zKKMHo
Eyewitness to Michael Brown's Police EXECUTION Recounts Friend’s Death - Chris Hayes - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIjma3CGDe0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFqGYAHzizc

Tiffany Mitchell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbyNLVgvh9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpq29YjH3zo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ssy_oPk-m8

Piaget Crenshaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L0XUZP4FDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygMrunrO4l4
RAW VIDEO: Piaget Crenshaw talks about Michael Brown shooting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImffBt6tyzY
Witness Piaget Crenshaw describes the shooting of Michael Brown – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za6pm37Ofwo

Michael Brady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2nWxMUX05k
Mike Brown witness Michael Brady interviewed by Chris Cuomo on New Day Aug 22 2014 - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqd2HxG5TAQ

Emanuel Freeman (@TheePharaoh on Twitter)

This Person Live-Tweeted Michael Brown's Killing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TubkIgb7LkA

Two Construction Workers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etDDT5IcCYc
New Michael Brown shooting witnesses describe scene - CNN.com
Workers who were witnesses provide new perspective on Michael Brown shooting : News

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 6, 2014 at 03:28 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2014, 06:52 PM

Daily Kos link? Hell no, I'm not going there. How about something less biased, like Huffpo?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2014, 07:01 PM

Seriously? Considering the fact that the DailyKos page is simply aggregating links to other news sites that's a pretty lame excuse.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2014, 07:12 PM

It's on my blocked sites list, along with Stormfront, Mother Jones, and several others. I refuse to give them impression ad revenues.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2014, 10:10 AM

AP Exclusive: Ferguson no-fly zone aimed at media
In the recordings, an FAA manager urged modifying the flight restriction so that planes landing at Lambert still could enter the airspace around Ferguson.

The less-restrictive change practically served the authorities' intended goal, an FAA official said: "A lot of the time the (lesser restriction) just keeps the press out, anyways. They don't understand the difference."

The Kansas City FAA manager then asked a St. Louis County police official if the restrictions could be lessened so nearby commercial flights wouldn't be affected. The new order allows "aircraft on final (approach) there at St. Louis. It will still keep news people out. ... The only way people will get in there is if they give them permission in there anyway so they, with the (lesser restriction), it still keeps all of them out."

"Yeah," replied the police official. "I have no problem with that whatsoever."
…and there it is.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2014, 11:34 AM

It could be that overcrowding is causing a serious risk to health and public safety. The place is busting at the seams with people who, for the most part, don't live there.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2014, 11:41 AM

What are you talking about?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2014, 11:57 AM

Travel restrictions could be due to overcrowding, like I said.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2014, 12:02 PM

Does the above article not exist, or are you playing devil's advocate for an alternate universe?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2014, 12:28 PM

Mostly playing DA, but the swarm of media blanketing the area, and the potential for their helicopters flying all over the place, could be seen as causing a public safety concern. A regular commuter would just go right through, whereas a news chopper is going to linger, oftentimes stationary, for long periods of time, potentially over crowded areas. Imagine an accident or severe malfunction occurring, a whole lot of people could be killed or injured.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2014, 03:12 PM

The Guns & Hoses charity event where local PD boxes local firefighters has been postponed. Like I said, the fix is in ...

Citing concerns about simmering unrest in Ferguson, sponsors have postponed this year’s 28th annual Guns ’N Hoses police-fire charity boxing match, scheduled for Nov. 26.

The event, typically held on the night before Thanksgiving at the Scottrade Center, benefits BackStoppers, a nonprofit providing financial support for the families of fallen first responders. Organizers said they hoped to reschedule in the new year.

The charity’s executive director, Ron Battelle, said organizers are concerned that many of the participants and attendees may be called to duty to manage possible protests after a St. Louis County grand jury decides whether to indict Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson in the Aug. 9 killing of Michael Brown. Officials have said to expect an announcement in mid-November.

“To hold the event at this time could serve as distraction to the service of our first responders,” said Battelle, a former chief of the St. Louis County Police Department. “The decision to postpone was made by the organization after much thought and deliberation. It takes into account the recently increased hours of first responders who attend the event.”
Officials postpone charity boxing event because of concerns about Ferguson : STLToday.com

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2014, 07:00 PM

STL County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch strikes again ....

The fatal shooting of an unarmed man on July 5 by a Pine Lawn police officer was "justified" and "not excessive under the circumstances," according to a review by St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert P. McCulloch.

Christopher Maurice Jones, 30, of Bel-Ridge, died from a single gunshot wound to the rear of his right arm;
an autopsy determined that the bullet entered his chest cavity and struck his heart, according to a four-page synopsis of the evidence in the case written by an attorney in McCulloch's office.

Investigators could not find any independent witness to the shooting, according to the synopsis. The officer who pulled the trigger, Nicholas Stone, was the only officer present when the gun was fired.

Jones had fled a traffic stop by a Pine Lawn police officer at Burmuda Drive. He drove as fast as 114 mph before crashing on the ramp from westbound I-70 to southbound I-170, then got out and ran down the ramp, the synopsis said.

Looking inside the wrecked car, Stone saw an empty holster in the center console, the synopsis said. Stone then chased Jones on foot. Jones resisted several attempts by Stone to put him in handcuffs, including three discharges from a Taser, the synopsis said.

Jones, who stood 6 foot 2 inches tall and weighed 240 pounds, "was substantially larger in frame and stature than Stone," the synopsis said.

Stone said Jones swung his arm backward, struck Stone in the chest, and threatened to kill him. Jones reached into his waistband with his right hand and raised his shirt with his left. Stone drew his weapon and yelled, "Show me your hands" at least three times, the synopsis said.

"The suspect continued to bring his arm backward to the officer's location," the synopsis said. "Stone discharged his weapon one time, striking Jones in the outside portion of the right arm."
Ok. Let's stop here and "read between the lines". No witnesses. The only persons present were the officer and the unarmed black guy who ended up dead. It says "Jones resisted several attempts by Stone to put him in handcuffs, including three discharges from a Taser". Ok let's roll with that. Everyone knows that a cop isn't going to try to handcuff you until you are down on the ground. Or at least up against a wall or across the hood of the police vehicle. It talks about how Jones' arm "Jones swung his arm backward, struck Stone in the chest" ... which sounds an awful lot like the cop was straddling Jones' back ... especially in light of the fact that the bullet struck the "rear of his right arm." And then we have this little gem ...

The synopsis found irregularities in the Taser records: Time stamps indicated it was used more than a half hour after Jones' death, but it was believed the weapon's internal timer was "not accurate."

Jones' mother, Christa Jones of Bel-Ridge, said she was upset that authorities never got back to her with the results of their investigation.

"Of course they were going to say justifiable homicide," she said. "But how do you justify killing somebody, a human being?
McCulloch rules July 5 shooting by Pine Lawn police was justified : STLToday.com

So the timestamp on the Taser said it was discharged a half hour AFTER Jones was killed? But that was just summarily dismissed as the timer being "not accurate". Yeah. Ok.

And the authorities didn't even bother to contact the man's mother with the results of the investigation? That's a level of disrespect towards black citizens that is unfortunately not uncommon with local governments. In any event, this guy was drunk, fled the cop, and crashed his car before fleeing on foot, and resisted arrest. Not the most sympathetic figure for sure. But regardless, it's still another example of a very disturbing pattern around here. An unarmed black male gets shot and killed from behind by a police officer ... and STL County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch is quite alright with that.

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules