Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math???

Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math??? (Page 15)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 02:36 PM

Missouri man fired for posting pictures of DHS vans to Facebook | Ars Technica
Paffrath told CNN that Drury’s head of security “called me a terrorist, saying that I dishonorably served my country for posting those pictures and videos on Facebook.”

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2014, 03:08 PM

I think the security guy thinks he's in the Secret Service or something, but the hotel statement seems legit.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 03:15 PM

The hotel really didn't say anything.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2014, 03:59 PM

Then who is the "hotel spokesman" quoted at the end of the article?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 03:59 PM

I'm saying the statement conveys little.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2014, 04:03 PM

It conveys to me: if you are a guest at our hotel, you can expect employees who violate your privacy to be terminated.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2014, 04:05 PM

It's like that time I was in a B&B, and Billy Zane was across the way bouncing checks all over the place.

Totally inappropriate for me to be telling you that.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
It conveys to me: if you are a guest at our hotel, you can expect employees who violate your privacy to be terminated.
The privacy of a car in a garage? I suppose the guy's mistake was not having a friend do it.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 18, 2014, 04:29 PM

Privacy is normally an individual right. It's odd to apply it to a government. Especially when that government is taking away all of our privacy. The dirty hands defense - the government should have no expectation of privacy when it doesn't extend the right to anyone else.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The privacy of a car in a garage?
Spoken like someone not having an illicit affair.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Privacy is normally an individual right. It's odd to apply it to a government. Especially when that government is taking away all of our privacy. The dirty hands defense - the government should have no expectation of privacy when it doesn't extend the right to anyone else.
Privacy, in this context, is being applied by a proprietor to a guest.

It's in the best interests of the proprietor to show they apply it liberally and equally.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 04:47 PM

Spoken like someone not having an illicit affair.
A hotel garage?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2014, 04:53 PM

Affairs are commonly pursued at hotels. Or am I not understanding?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2014, 04:59 PM

I mean, you manage this hotel, and have a rather large client now chewing out your ass...

Are you really going to pull out the fife and start going "this is America"?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2014, 04:59 PM

It's like that time I was in a B&B, and Billy Zane was across the way bouncing checks all over the place.
I am Jack's total lack of surprise.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 05:02 PM

Affairs are commonly pursued at hotels. Or am I not understanding?
Yeah, one is easy to access and view.

I mean, you manage this hotel, and have a rather large client now chewing out your ass...
Isn't this treading into conjecture?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2014, 06:26 PM

The size of the client isn't conjecture. That they aren't happy I'd say is safe conjecture.

I'm not sure how the access part fits in. Any hotel is going to have a SOP employees are not to reveal who's a guest at the hotel. I don't think there's some clause that makes it okay to do that if there's proof of a particular guest on an accessible part of hotel property.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2014, 12:05 PM

Gun sales surge ahead of jury's Ferguson decision
I don't want anyone to die, but the irony will not be lost on me if somehow paranoia of black rioters leads to a bunch of citizens going on trial for unreasonably using deadly force.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2014, 04:28 PM

Gun sales surge ahead of jury's Ferguson decision
I don't want anyone to die, but the irony will not be lost on me if somehow paranoia of black rioters leads to a bunch of citizens going on trial for unreasonably using deadly force.
There have been 3 months of protests since Mike Brown was killed. On only 2 nights have there been SOME who were "rioting". There was way more violence and property damage during the rioting at the Pumpkin Fest and after SF won the World Series. But no surges in gun sales. Imagine that.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2014, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
There have been 3 months of protests since Mike Brown was killed. On only 2 nights have there been SOME who were "rioting". There was way more violence and property damage during the rioting at the Pumpkin Fest and after SF won the World Series. But no surges in gun sales. Imagine that.

OAW
Dont forget to mention that most of the trouble-makers were from out of state.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2014, 04:52 PM

^^^

There is that.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2014, 04:54 PM

More than 60 officers will be disciplined over a police chase last year that left two people dead in a hail of 137 bullets, Cleveland police said Tuesday.

Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath said 64 officers were found guilty of "administrative charges ranging from excessive speed to insubordination," in connection with their role in the 2012 police chase.

The announcement after the discipline hearings doesn't involve a pending review of possible criminal charges in the deadly incident, CNN affiliate WOIO reported.

Two months ago, McGrath had said 74 of 277 officers on duty the night of the chase could face disciplinary action.

The incident began on November 29 when officers saw a car speeding and heard what they thought was a gunshot, according to the affiliate. Police pursued the vehicle, and the driver, Timothy Russell, refused to stop, authorities told the station.

Though officers reported seeing a gun in the car, no weapon was ever found, the affiliate reported.

The 23-minute chase took officers to East Cleveland, where 13 of them fired 137 shots, killing Russell, 43, and his passenger, Malissa Williams, 30, CNN affiliate WJW reported.

"It was really a tragic pursuit," McGrath said in August. "When those officers started their tour of duty that evening, they started it with good intentions."
Police chief: 64 Cleveland officers broke rules in shooting - CNN.com

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2014, 05:03 PM

60 officers is an impressive amount of discipline. That said I feel like because 60 were involved it devalues the injustice done because it's obvious some group think was involved. If it was two officers that did this, maybe they'd see some more serious charges.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2014, 08:33 PM

It would appear that a lawyer for the family of Vonderitt Myers has outed the STL cop who shot and killed him multiple times from behind ...

A lawyer for the family of VonDerrit Myers Jr., who was killed by an off-duty police officer, publicly disclosed the patrolman's name this week and said his comments on social media show political and racial biases that reflect upon the shooting.

The officer's name is listed on an evidence envelope that was inadvertently included with Myers' body when it was delivered to the funeral home, said Jermaine Wooten, one of the family's lawyers.

Police have not released the name, pending a "threat assessment." The department declined to comment on the disclosure.

Brian Millikan, the lawyer representing the officer involved in the shooting, would not confirm or deny the name provided by Wooten — Jason H. Flanery — but the Post-Dispatch verified it independently.

Police said Myers, 18, was killed after firing at the officer. The family said witnesses told their investigator that Myers, who was black, had no weapon and died begging the white officer for his life.

Wooten noted online posts attributed to Flanery that call President Barack Obama “Nobama” and say that in a Michelle Obama speech, “She looks drunk, high, and dumb as hell.” The lawyer said repeated disparaging remarks about blacks in Flanery's postings reflect a "strong negatively biased view of African-Americans."

He also cited Flanery's online criticism of liberals and homosexuality. The lawyer complained that "right-wing conservatives" have not traditionally been "the friendliest" to people like Myers.

Wooten said that photos on an Instagram site, showing Flanery's Marine, police and SWAT training, belie the claim that Myers pulled a gun and fired three shots before the officer could respond.

The lawyer said the Myers family released the name out of frustration that the department did not, and in hopes of hearing from others who may have had negative encounters with Flanery.

Millikan, emphasizing that he was not acknowledging the identity of his client, responded: “I've said all along that this policeman has military experience and that's one reason he's alive.”

He continued, “The political view of the officer that was involved in this doesn't change any of the facts that happened. Whether he's a liberal or a conservative or a Whig or a Tea Party member, it doesn't change what happened that evening. And that is Myers had a gun and he used it and he tried to murder this policeman."

Full results of the police investigation have not been revealed.
Lawyer identifies St. Louis officer who killed VonDerrit Myers Jr. : STLToday.com

More info on this guy ...

Defendant in a 2006 racial discrimination lawsuit:

George Poole appeals the district court’s adverse grant of summary judgment of his 42 U.S.C. § 1983 action against Webster Groves police officer Jason Flanery, a five-year veteran of the force. Poole (who is African-American) alleged that in January 2004 Flanery stopped him “for being in an all white neighborhood,” ordered him out of his car, searched his car and person without permission, asked questions unrelated to the traffic stop, and issued him four traffic tickets. Poole claimed that the encounter, which lasted forty minutes, violated his due process and equal protection rights, and constituted racial profiling.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOURT...05-01650-0.pdf

And as a teenager faced the same gun charges that Myers did. Imagine that.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 19, 2014 at 08:43 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Nov 19, 2014, 09:24 PM

It would appear that a lawyer for the family of Vonderitt Myers has outed the STL cop who shot and killed him multiple times from behind ...
I suppose you can kill someone multiple times, with CPR in between. Or we've found our first real Cylon model.

Apologies for not commenting on the rest. A modern resurrection was much more interesting.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2014, 10:31 PM

^^^^

My apologies. I should have said "shot him multiple times from behind and killed him."

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2014, 03:48 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2014, 03:49 PM

I'm guessing the talk are in regards to pension or something? I'm guessing this guy want to disappear forever. I can't blame him. But can he really hide if he stays in the US?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2014, 11:41 AM

Word on the street is he hasn't even left STL. And he hasn't been spotted in public in the 3+ months since he killed Mike Brown. So apparently he's able to fly under the radar. You'd be surprised what a beard, change of hair color, and a hat can do to alter one's appearance.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2014, 11:48 AM

Court: Judge hasn't agreed to release Ferguson grand jury evidence if no indictment : News

For months, St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch has promised to seek a court order immediately releasing nearly all evidence before the grand jury in the Michael Brown shooting case if Officer Darren Wilson is not indicted.

And he has said that the judge overseeing the grand jury, St. Louis County Circuit Judge Carolyn Whittington, already has agreed to order such release if requested.

But, with the grand jury’s decision expected this week, the county court’s top administrator on Sunday said no such agreement exists. He said Whittington has not agreed that she will release evidence in the grand jury review of the Aug. 9 shooting death of the unarmed teenager by the Ferguson police officer.
“There’s no probably about it,” McCulloch said to KTRS-AM host McGraw Milhaven on Sept. 24. “It will be released ... We’ve asked the judge to do that and the judge has agreed that she will do that. If there is no indictment, she will authorize the release of the testimony and the physical evidence that was presented to the grand jury.’’
An enterprising person could mobilize AA voters by creating a campaign to unseat this guy next time he's up for reelection. This is a load of shit.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2014, 11:50 AM

In more general police news… Killings by Utah police outpacing gang, drug, child-abuse homicides | The Salt Lake Tribune
In the past five years, more Utahns have been killed by police than by gang members.

Or drug dealers. Or from child abuse.

And so far this year, deadly force by police has claimed more lives — 13, including a Saturday shooting in South Jordan — than has violence between spouses and dating partners.
Through October, 45 people had been killed by law enforcement officers in Utah since 2010, accounting for 15 percent of all homicides during that period.
"Police are trained and expected to react to deadly threats. As many deadly threats emerge is the exact amount of times police will respond," wrote Ian Adams, a West Jordan police officer and spokesman for the Utah Fraternal Order of Police. "The onus is on the person being arrested to stop trying to assault and kill police officers and the innocent public. … Why do some in society continue to insist the problem lies with police officers?"

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 02:30 PM

Saw that story this morning. McCulloch refused to recuse himself to allow for a special prosecutor. He dangled this "we'll release all the grand jury evidence" to deflect criticism of this decision because the local black community doesn't trust this man as far as we can throw him. Again, in the 5 cases he's handled where unarmed black men were killed by white police officers he has NEVER indicted the officer. So this "pledge" on his part took the heat off of him once this situation went national. But of course, he now has his built-in excuse for NOT releasing the evidence because he'll claim his hands were tied by the judge.

An enterprising person could mobilize AA voters by creating a campaign to unseat this guy next time he's up for reelection. This is a load of shit.
The funny thing is Steve Stenger just won the general election for STL County Executive by the skin of his teeth because many black voters in North County (myself included) refused to vote for him because he refused to use his influence with STL County Bob McCulloch to get him to step aside in this case. And this is a race where the DEM is basically a shoo-in. A group of North County legislative officials openly endorsed his GOP opponent. But many people (myself included) couldn't bring themselves to vote for him. If he were a "normal" Republican I probably would have ... but since he was a "far right, Tea Party, wing nut type" I just couldn't go there. I just wrote in Mike Brown instead to send a message. STL County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch ran unopposed and I wrote in Mike Brown in that race too because I refuse to support that man. I can see an organized campaign to unseat him on the next election but I'm skeptical of its chances for success. As I've said before in this thread, STL is one of the most racially polarized cities in the country. If this situation is used as the basis for a campaign to unseat him we'd likely see the vote split among racial lines ... even among Dems. And whites have too great of a numerical majority in STL County. The only way I can see this happening is if the GOP actually decided to field a moderate white candidate who would be acceptable to the black electorate. Then run a campaign designed to split the white vote among Dems and GOP and use the black vote to tip the scales in favor of the GOP candidate. But of course that would be a risky strategy because the decades of GOP hostility towards the black community would make it very difficult for black voters to actually vote GOP. The only way it would work would be figure out a way make McCulloch the bigger issue.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 02:36 PM

A shocking video shows an NYPD officer beating a young man over the head with his baton at a Brooklyn subway station.

The man, 20-year-old Donovan Lawson, had “doubled up” with his friend; he went through a turnstile in the same swipe at the friend. Lawson sat down on a nearby bench, and that’s when, according to witness Marielle Anas, the officer started throwing punches.

“The kid wasn’t doing anything — that’s why I started recording,” Anas said to the NY Daily News. “If he can’t subdue this kid — he wasn’t even resisting that much!”

Anas filmed the incident as others gathered around and several people shouted at the officer to stop. “Everyone was horrified,” Anas said. “There were at least 30 or 40 people that gathered. It just seemed so obvious that it was unnecessary violence.”

When the officer hit Lawson across the head with his baton, blood sprayed from the head wound onto onlookers. “It was one of the most awful things I’ve ever seen,” Anas said. “I have blood all over my jeans. The brutality of the nightstick — it was crazy. It looked like his head exploded. I couldn’t believe I was seeing it happen.”

Anas says she tried to get the officer’s badge number, but other officers barred her from doing so as they tried to clear people away from the scene.

Lawson was hospitalized for his head wound and was arrested on charges of fare beating, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, obstructing government administration and harassment.

The officer was reportedly also hospitalized for hand and arm injuries.
Officer smashes young man’s head with baton for cheating subway fare | theGrio

WARNING: Graphic video footage

This police abuse needs to stop!!! Brooklyn New York Myrtle & Broadway train on the J and M line | YouTube.com

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 02:43 PM

A NYPD officer has shot and killed an unarmed man in Brooklyn in what Police Commissioner William J. Bratton called “an unfortunate accident.”

The victim, 28-year-old Akai Gurley, was “a total innocent” in the shooting, which occurred in a dark stairwell. The rookie officer who shot Gurley, 27-year-old Peter Liang, had been an officer for less than 18 months at the time of the shooting.

Liang and his partner were patrolling the Louis H. Pink Houses and making their way down the stairwell when Liang accidently fired his service weapon. The bullet hit Gurley, who had entered the stairs with his girlfriend, in the chest and caused him to fall down two flights of stairs.

The housing projects had seen a recent spike in violence, which was why the officers were patrolling the area. Gurley was later pronounced dead at Brookdale Hospital, according to the New York Times.

The lights in the stairway were not working at the time of the shooting, which made the stairwell dark. Bratton said, “As the officers were entering the eighth-floor landing, the lights were not operable. Everything points to accidental discharge.”

Gurley was unarmed; Liang, according to protocol, has turned in his badge and gun as an official investigation ensues.

Bratton made sure to clarify that Gurley was not a suspect in any crime, saying, “The deceased was not engaged in any activity other than trying to enter the stairwell.”

Mayor Bill de Blasio offered his condolences to the victim’s family, while pointing out that the incident differs from other recent police controversies in the news. “A life was lost and my heart goes out to the family of the young man. It does appear to have been an accident,” the mayor said. “What happened in Ferguson is different than what happened on Staten Island is different than what happened in Brooklyn. Each of them has their own dynamic.”
NYPD officer shoots and kills a totally innocent man | theGrio

So exactly how is this an "accidental discharge" if the officer didn't already have his weapon drawn? If the officers were just "patrolling the area" WTF wasn't his weapon holstered? Clearly this was a "screw-up" ... but that doesn't necessarily mean it was an "accident".

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 02:45 PM

So now we have another black male killed for holding a toy gun in an open carry state. This time a 12 year old ....

The police shooting death of a 12-year-old boy with a toy gun in Cleveland has sparked an investigation — and questions over why officers opened fire instead of using a stun gun. Two officers have been placed on administrative leave pending a probe into Saturday's shooting of Tamir Rice.

Police said officers responded to a report of a person waving a gun around at a playground and that Tamir was shot after he allegedly refused to put his hands up and reached in his waistband for what appeared to be a handgun. The handgun turned out to be an "airsoft" replica toy gun, which shoots pellets in a similar way that a BB gun does.
Cleveland police said in a statement that an orange marking designed to make the toys distinguishable from real firearms had been removed.

A man who called 911 told dispatchers the boy was on a swing set and pointing a pistol that was "probably fake" and scaring everyone — but officers weren't told the caller thought the gun might not be real, the president of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association told The Associated Press.

Tamir's father, Gregory Henderson, questioned why police chose to open fire instead of use a stun gun on his son. "Why not tase him? You shot him twice, not once, and at the end of the day you all don't shoot for the legs, you shoot for the upper body," Henderson told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Tamir — who was shot in the torso — died of his wounds on Sunday morning.
Tamir Rice Shooting by Cleveland Police Under Investigation - NBC News

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2014, 02:46 PM

We really need to get rid of 'resisting arrest' as a charge.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2014, 02:47 PM

So now we have another black male killed for holding a toy gun in an open carry state. This time a 12 year old
What I've read on that one give me enough doubt that force may have been justified.

Also, check out the quality of that BB gun.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 02:47 PM

Looks like someone isn't too concerned about all this grand jury stuff. Imagine that ...

Darren Wilson, the police officer who fatally shot Ferguson teen Michael Brown, has tied the knot.

According to The New York Times, Wilson, 28, and Barbara Spradling, 37, who is also an officer with the Ferguson Police Department, officially married on October 24.

Wilson and his bride could have obtained their marriage license in a faraway county or state. (Las Vegas, anyone?) Instead, the couple brazenly chose to apply in downtown Clayton, across the street from where a grand jury has been deliberating on whether to charge Wilson with a crime for Brown's death.

A clerk at the recorder of deeds office in Clayton tells The New York Times she was surprised to see Wilson at the office, which is often the target of protests calling for his indictment. The week Wilson got married, three protesters were arrested at the Buzz Westfall Justice Center for throwing pumpkins in response to riots at the New Hampshire Pumpkin Festival. Protesters wrote "POLICE BRUTALITY" on one of the smashed pumpkins, in reference to Wilson.
Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson Got Married Last Month: NYT | Riverfront Times

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2014, 02:51 PM

I more amused that he get remarried in around a year. Get a grip people.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 02:52 PM

Grand Jury decision to announced today.
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 02:52 PM

What I've read on that one give me enough doubt that force may have been justified.

Also, check out the quality of that BB gun.
Probably isn't very PC to say ... but any parent that would allow their black male child to have a toy like that given how easily things can go south is a damned idiot.

OAW

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2014, 02:55 PM

" Cleveland police said in a statement that an orange marking designed to make the toys distinguishable from real firearms had been removed."

Looks like a real gun then.

"Tamir was shot after he allegedly refused to put his hands up and reached in his waistband for what appeared to be a handgun."

Why was he unable to do what was asked of him by the officer?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2014, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
"Tamir was shot after he allegedly refused to put his hands up and reached in his waistband for what appeared to be a handgun."

Don't be surprised if 12 year-olds panic in a high stress situation. Because I sure as hell am not surprised the cop did.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
"

I've highlighted the key word for you. And this is what the police always claim. Color me skeptical of police allegations that rely upon irrational behavior on the part of the black victim.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 03:09 PM

Some people think it's a game and it is so not ...

A woman appears to have accidentally fatally shot herself in the head with a gun bought to prepare for possible Ferguson-related unrest, according to sources briefed on the police investigation.

The shooting occurred Friday night in downtown St. Louis, the city's Metropolitan Police Department said, in an area dominated by vacant lots beside a football stadium.

The female victim, identified in a police report as Becca Campbell, 26, was a passenger in a car involved in an auto accident. Her 33-year-old boyfriend was driving, the sources told CNN.

The boyfriend, who wasn't identified, told police that the couple had bought a gun because of fears of unrest related to the pending grand jury decision on the shooting of Michael Brown, the sources said.

He told investigators that as they drove late Friday night, the victim waved a gun, jokingly saying the couple were ready for Ferguson, the sources said.

He ducked to get out of the way of the gun and accidentally rear-ended another car. He said the accident caused the gun to go off and she was struck by a bullet in the head, the sources said.

The victim was rushed to a hospital but died.

The investigation is continuing because police want to be sure the story as told by the boyfriend is correct, the sources said. Police are awaiting gun trace results, as part of the ongoing investigation.
Police: Woman allegedly kills herself with gun bought to prepare for Ferguson unrest | KMOV.com St. Louis

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 03:22 PM

A grand jury in Cleveland will decide whether to charge an officer who shot and killed a 12-year-old boy holding a toy gun at a park over the weekend, officials said Monday. Investigators have obtained video evidence of the moment a Cleveland police officer shot Tamir Rice, police chief Calvin Williams said at a news conference Monday. The video is not yet being released, but Cleveland Deputy Chief Ed Tomba said it showed the officer was "very close" when he fired the two shots at the boy's torso. Two officers were involved in the incident, but only one of them fired a gun.

All evidence, including the video, will be considered in an ongoing investigation before it is presented to a grand jury, Williams said. The Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's office, which is overseeing the case, has a policy of presenting all fatal police shootings to a grand jury. "These cases are so serious, so important, that there should be a citizen review," Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy J. McGinty said Monday.
Grand Jury Will Hear Case of Tamir Rice, 12-Year-Old Killed by Cop - NBC News

We'll see if the video matches the police story.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 03:24 PM

Lots of chatter that the grand jury decision is being announced today ...

A Missouri prosecutor will make an announcement Monday about the grand jury considering whether to indict Darren Wilson, the white police officer who shot and killed unarmed black teenager Michael Brown in Ferguson in August, sources told NBC News.

It was not clear what the announcement would be.

The grand jury has been weighing evidence for three months. It was given a range of criminal charges to consider, from first-degree murder to involuntary manslaughter, and also had the option of not indicting the officer.

Wilson, 28, shot Brown, 18, during a confrontation on the afternoon of Aug. 9. In the days that followed, Ferguson, a once-obscure St. Louis suburb, was rocked by clashes between demonstrators and police with military-style equipment.

Ahead of the grand jury decision, Gov. Jay Nixon declared a state of emergency and activated the Missouri National Guard. Authorities and lawyers for the Brown family encouraged both police and protesters to maintain calm.

As they have awaited a decision, businesses have boarded their windows, and some schools have canceled class early for the Thanksgiving break. Authorities, including local police, have set up layers of plans.

The grand jury is composed of six white men, three white women, two black women and one black man, selected at random from St. Louis County, which is about 70 percent white. Ferguson, a city of 21,000 people, is about two-thirds black. It takes nine of 12 votes to indict.

The Justice Department is conducting a separate civil rights investigation, including a review of the overall practices of the Ferguson police.
Announcement Coming Today on Ferguson Grand Jury, Sources Say - NBC News

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2014, 03:41 PM

It was not clear what the announcement would be.
lol

I realize there are no solid facts yet, but I also think it'd be fair to say all rumors point to it not being bloody likely.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 03:54 PM

lol

I realize there are no solid facts yet, but I also think it'd be fair to say all rumors point to it not being bloody likely.
Exactly. I would be completely shocked if Wilson is indicted. As I said from the beginning, as soon as County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch took it to a grand jury instead of just charging Wilson based upon 7 eyewitnesses in broad daylight I knew the fix was in. But I wouldn't be surprised if they vote to indict Wilson on some kind of "slap on the wrist" charge to try to throw a bone. We shall see.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2014, 04:05 PM

@OAW

I want to ask before shit blows up.

Let's make the safe assumption Wilson won't be indicted.

From the available witness testimony it appears Wilson is guilty.

What do you think the mechanism could be to cause the disparity?

Normally, when cops and prosecutors try and fix a case, they hide things. Do you think there was evidence hidden from the grand jury?

Again, wouldn't put it past cops and prosecutors for a second to hide exculpatory evidence, but it would be quite the trick for them to hide any information we know, too... especially considering the jury isn't sequestered.

Forum Links
Forum Rules