Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math???

Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math??? (Page 5)
subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2014, 02:27 PM

That makes sense. Now that I think about it, that's SOP here in the city. If there are no other factors, and it's a tiny amount, it's not worth the hassle.

I have a friend for whom one of those "other factors" ended up being not having any ID.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2014, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim
The DA told us to use our own discretion in those situations, when there are no other factors, the backlog is an unholy nightmare. But really, I was doing that before he said anything. F*ck it, I have more important things to do than run in a kid with half a gram of weed in his pocket.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
That makes sense. Now that I think about it, that's SOP here in the city. If there are no other factors, and it's a tiny amount, it's not worth the hassle.

I have a friend for whom one of those "other factors" ended up being not having any ID.
If only such discretion were applied across the board in this country ...

Black Americans were nearly four times as likely as whites to be arrested on charges of marijuana possession in 2010, even though the two groups used the drug at similar rates, according to new federal data.

This disparity had grown steadily from a decade before, and in some states, including Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois, blacks were around eight times as likely to be arrested.

During the same period, public attitudes toward marijuana softened and a number of states decriminalized its use. But about half of all drug arrests in 2011 were on marijuana-related charges, roughly the same portion as in 2010.

Advocates for the legalization of marijuana have criticized the Obama administration for having vocally opposed state legalization efforts and for taking a more aggressive approach than the Bush administration in closing medical marijuana dispensaries and prosecuting their owners in some states, especially Montana and California.

The new data, however, offers a more nuanced picture of marijuana enforcement on the state level. Drawn from police records from all 50 states and the District of Columbia, the report is the most comprehensive review of marijuana arrests by race and by county and is part of a report being released this week by the American Civil Liberties Union. Much of the data was also independently reviewed for The New York Times by researchers at Stanford University.

“We found that in virtually every county in the country, police have wasted taxpayer money enforcing marijuana laws in a racially biased manner,” said Ezekiel Edwards, the director of the A.C.L.U.’s Criminal Law Reform Project and the lead author of the report.
Marijuana Arrests Four Times As Likely For Blacks | NYTimes.com

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2014, 03:17 PM

Not really surprising. Being a cop tends to turn people into racists. Toss the supposedly nonexistent quotas on top of it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2014, 03:18 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 27, 2014, 03:20 PM

Being a cop tends to turn people into racists.
Huh?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2014, 03:22 PM

^^^^

Saw that earlier today. Jon Stewart was very insightful as usual. IMO he's on the level of Chris Rock when it comes to combining social commentary with humor.

OAW

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2014, 04:38 PM

We apply it across the board, but then we don't have any densely populated urban centers. In fact, far and away our most common calls are domestic disturbance issues with hispanics (most are illegals). Since I'm almost fluent in Spanish, I get nearly all of those when I'm on a shift. By the time we arrive, they're already in the process of turning out their pockets... getting anyone to admit who was carrying what is a completely different subject, however. Why do I mention cities? Because crime goes up disproportionately according to how tightly humans are packed together.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2014, 04:51 PM

^^^^

Policing in rural areas is most definitely a different ball of wax than policing in urban areas. No argument from me on that. But the beginning sentence of the article seems to be at odds with the notion that there is "disproportionate crime" based on population density. Missouri is the meth capital of the country. And that's a primarily rural phenomenon. But a black guy is more likely to go to jail over crack possession than a white guy is for meth possession. Even in urban areas where the population density is similar a black guy is 4+ times as likely to go to jail over weed possession than a white guy ... even though blacks and whites use the substance at similar rates. Which is a pretty strong indication of targeted or selective enforcement as opposed to "blacks commit more drug crimes".

OAW

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2014, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
^^^^

Saw that earlier today. Jon Stewart was very insightful as usual. IMO he's on the level of Chris Rock when it comes to combining social commentary with humor.

OAW

I also think he performs a very important role in elevating discourse, and calling to task the bottom feeding in the media (e.g. mocking the "you smelt it, you dealt it racism" bit). To the extent that our every day discourse and debate takes cues from the media, we need this positive stimulation. Of course, a lot of his commentary is silly and sugar coated too, but few would pay attention without the humor. I think Stewart's primary motivation is to be funny, but shows like this have a number of positive side effects on our culture, whether intended or not.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2014, 05:39 PM

It was bad enough that the police let Mike Brown's body lay in the middle of the street on a sweltering hot day for 4 hours. But this right here is more evidence of the blatant disrespect that some of these police officers show towards the African-American residents they are supposed to "serve and protect" in the STL area:

As darkness fell on Canfield Drive on August 9, a makeshift memorial sprang up in the middle of the street where Michael Brown's body had been sprawled in plain view for more than four hours. Flowers and candles were scattered over the bloodstains on the pavement. Someone had affixed a stuffed animal to a streetlight pole a few yards away. Neighborhood residents and others were gathering, many of them upset and angry.

Soon, police vehicles reappeared, including from the St. Louis County Police Department, which had taken control of the investigation. Several officers emerged with dogs. What happened next, according to several sources, was emblematic of what has inflamed the city of Ferguson, Missouri, ever since the unarmed 18-year-old was gunned down: An officer on the street let the dog he was controlling urinate on the memorial site.

The incident was related to me separately by three state and local officials who worked with the community in the immediate aftermath of the shooting. One confirmed that he interviewed an eyewitness, a young woman, and pressed her on what exactly she saw. "She said that the officer just let the dog pee on it," that official told me. "She was very distraught about it." The identity of the officer who handled the dog and the agency he was with remain unclear.

The day brought other indignities for Brown's family, and the community. Missouri state Rep. Sharon Pace, whose district includes the neighborhood where the shooting occurred, told me she went to the scene that afternoon to comfort the parents, who were blocked by police from approaching their son's body. Pace purchased some tea lights for the family, and around 7 p.m. she joined Brown's mother, Lesley McSpadden, and others as they placed the candles and sprinkled flowers on the ground where Brown had died. "They spelled out his initials with rose petals over the bloodstains," Pace recalled.

By then, police had prohibited all vehicles from entering Canfield Drive except for their own. Soon the candles and flowers had been smashed, after police drove over them.

"That made people in the crowd mad," Pace said, "and it made me mad." Some residents began walking in front of police vehicles at the end of the block to prevent them from driving in.
Michael Brown's Mom Laid Flowers Where He Was Shot—and Police Crushed Them | Mother Jones

And they wonder why some people around here have been dusting off old N.W.A. records?

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Aug 27, 2014 at 06:19 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 27, 2014, 06:27 PM

They're not just disconnected from the community, they're disconnected from reality.

Rhetorical theoretical: What do you think would happen if it had been Officer Wilson that had been gunned down in that spot, and one of the locals decided to just walk on top of those flowers with a cop nearby?

Hint: He'd be eating pavement.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Huh?
It's a statement I've heard many cops make. Usually with the qualifier "assuming you aren't racist to begin with".

Cops deal with the worst parts of society on a daily basis, and for various sociopolitical/economic reasons, those parts of society are mostly minorities.

Constantly dealing with the worst aspects of a minority group tends to, ahem... color your attitude towards said minorities. Even with cops who belong to a minority group themselves.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 28, 2014, 01:17 PM

It's a statement I've heard many cops make. Usually with the qualifier "assuming you aren't racist to begin with".

Cops deal with the worst parts of society on a daily basis, and for various sociopolitical/economic reasons, those parts of society are mostly minorities.

Constantly dealing with the worst aspects of a minority group tends to, ahem... color your attitude towards said minorities. Even with cops who belong to a minority group themselves.
I thought it might be something like this. But as you said, they deal with all of shitty society, so shouldn't they hate everyone?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2014, 01:24 PM

I thought it might be something like this. But as you said, they deal with all of shitty society, so shouldn't they hate everyone?
That's where the socioeconomic/political angle comes in. All parts of society don't shitty equally.

There's a direct correlation between shitty and poor. There's also a direct correlation between poor and minorities.

Note, I am in no way implying causation. Minorities are poor because they get they tend to get the shaft from non-minorities.

OreoCookie
Aug 28, 2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Ain't that the damned truth. Every time I could have busted someone on a simple pot charge, I've made them dump it out on the ground, but just in the normal course of events, I'm sure I could have made at least 20 arrests by now.

"You going to arrest me?"
"Do you want me to?"
"No sir!"
"Then empty that out on the ground and go home."
*look of shock and disbelief*
In case of my brother and a few friends of mine, it was that to the cops they looked like stoners (even though one was a metal guy who doesn't smoke pot). Ever since my brother (who has a respectable job in IT, pays taxes, etc.) changed his looks, the problem went away.

And I have to wonder how much of a misallocation of resources that is (we're talking about people who have a little on them for personal use).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
In case of my brother and a few friends of mine, it was that to the cops they looked like stoners (even though one was a metal guy who doesn't smoke pot). Ever since my brother (who has a respectable job in IT, pays taxes, etc.) changed his looks, the problem went away.

And I have to wonder how much of a misallocation of resources that is (we're talking about people who have a little on them for personal use).
There's no need to wonder. You can point to the United States and go "see? ****ed up."

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2014, 03:11 PM

A company behind the video messaging service that allegedly captured audio of Michael Brown's shooting this month said Thursday the recording was created at about the time Brown was killed.

The revelation from the company, Glide, appears to bolster a man's claim that he inadvertently recorded audio of gunfire at the time the 18-year-old Brown was shot and killed by a Ferguson, Missouri, police officer on August 9.

The video was created at 12:02:14 p.m. that day, Glide said. That's around the time that police say Brown was shot.

CNN cannot independently verify the authenticity of the tape.

The sounds could be a piece in the larger puzzle of what happened in the moments before the 18-year-old's death. The FBI obtained the audio and interviewed the man who made the recording, said Lopa Blumenthal, a lawyer for that individual.

CNN has asked the FBI for confirmation of that interview.
Company: Audio captured at time of Brown shooting - CNN.com

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2014, 06:56 PM

A fairly decent synopsis of the "conflicting accounts". I must again point out that the police haven't spoken on any sequence of events other than Brown supposedly attacking Wilson in his car out of the blue for no reason. They've provided no information on the rationale for Wilson's actions outside of the car. The only thing reported about that is what this mysterious "Josie" ... a friend of Wilson's "significant other" supposedly heard from her. NOT from Wilson. IOW ... 3rd generation "hearsay". Quite unlike the eyewitnesses who have spoken on the record. In any event, I find her story quite preposterous ...

Josie: "So he goes in reverse back to them. He tries to get out of his car. They slam his door shut violently. I think he said Michael [Brown] did. Then he opens his car again and tries to get out and as he stands up Michael just bum rushes him, and just shoves him back into his car, punches him in the face and then of course Darren grabs for his gun and Michael grabs the gun. At one point he's got the gun totally turned against his hip and then he shoves it away and the gun goes off."

Josie: "Michael takes off with his friend. They get to be about 35 feet away and Darren [Wilson], of course protocol is to pursue. So he stands up and yells, ‘Freeze!' Michael and his friend turn around and Michael starts taunting him. ‘Oh, what are you going to do about it? You're not gonna shoot me.'

Josie: "And then he said all of a sudden [Michael] just started to bum rush him. He just started coming at him full speed so [Wilson] he just started shooting and he just kept coming. So [Wilson] really thinks [Brown] was on something because he just kept coming. It was unbelievable. And then so he finally ended up, the final shot was in the forehead and then he fell about 2, 3 feet in front of the officer."
What happened when Michael Brown met Officer Darren Wilson - CNN.com

Excuse me ... but WTF? I can assure you that there is no sane black man in STL who thinks a white cop won't shoot him! Especially after he supposedly "assaulted" the officer. And most especially after he's already been shot by that officer per Johnson. As the witness Ms. Mitchell put it ... "A shot was fired through the window." with Brown on the outside trying to pull away from the Wilson. But let's set that aside and roll with Ms. "Josie's" story ... even though she wasn't even there.

So let's dissect this logically. If the "gun goes off" ... either Brown was struck or he wasn't right? If he WAS struck, does it make any logical sense for Brown to turn around seconds later and taunt Wilson with "Oh, what are you going to do about it? You're not going to shoot me."? Of course not! But let's say he was NOT struck. If Brown was so "gangsta" that he's going to attack a police officer and go for his gun ... again just for sh*ts and grins b/c neither the police nor Ms. "Josie" have provided any rationale for such action ... he's not going to take off running just because the "gun goes off". He'd keep fighting for the gun! And if the "gun goes off" IS enough to make him flee then again he's not going to be taunting Wilson!

And the other thing that make no sense. Now Brown's body fell 35 feet away from Wilson's vehicle. That was all over the news. And Ms. "Josie" mentions it as well. But here's the problem. She says "they" ... as in Brown and Johnson ... got to be about 35 feet away. Which isn't the case because Johnson ran off to the side and hid behind a car. But let's set that aside as well. Say Brown is 35 feet away. Standing there taunting Wilson. Then "all of a sudden [Michael] just started to bum rush him. He [Brown] just started coming at him full speed". How much distance can a 6'4" man cover at "full speed"? According to Ms. "Josie" Wilson starts shooting but "he [Brown] just kept coming". IOW ... he continues "bum rushing" Wilson even though he's being shot at and apparently hit several times according to the autopsy report. We have the obligatory "I thought he was on something" excuse which turned out not to be true. No PCP, acid, bath salts, or any other crazy substance. Just ... weed. Which has never in the history of the world given anyone the "superhuman" ability to run through gunshots as if they were mosquito bites.

The problem though is that Ms. "Josie's" story defies the laws of mathematics and physics! Brown can't be 35 feet away ... "bum rush" Wilson ... "keep coming" through gunfire ... and drop dead right where he started! 35 feet away!

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2014, 07:11 PM

More of STL's "finest" in action ....

A Glendale police officer suspended last Friday after commenting on Facebook that he thought Ferguson protesters should be "put down like rabid dogs," has been fired, officials say.

Matthew Pappert, suspended with pay last week, was fired Thursday after an internal investigation wrapped up Wednesday, said Glendale City Administrator Jaysen Christensen.

Pappert's comments also included postings that said Ferguson protesters were "a burden on society and a blight on the community." Another posting said, "Where is a Muslim with a backpack when you need them?"

The posts were preserved by the news and opinion website "The Daily Caller."

Pappert's last day with the Glendale Police Department was Thursday, Christensen said.

Pappert later apologized for his comments in a prepared statement through his lawyer. Pappert said his comments were “deeply remorseful” and said he recognized “that his words were insensitive and hurtful.”

Christensen said Thursday that Pappert's views did not reflect those of anyone who works for the city or police department. Christiansen said details of the internal investigation are closed personnel records.

Glendale, a suburb of 6,000 residents, now has nine sworn officers remaining on its force, Christensen said. With Pappert's termination, the department has two openings to fill including one vacated by another officer who recently retired.

Pappert's length of service and salary were not immediately available Thursday.
Glendale police officer fired for Facebook comments about Ferguson protesters : News

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2014, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I must again point out that the police haven't spoken on any sequence of events other than Brown supposedly attacking Wilson in his car out of the blue for no reason.
That's standard, no? Ongoing investigation, yadda, yadda...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2014, 11:24 PM

Case in point, it's tough for me not to think of most Hispanic males as spouse abusers.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2014, 06:41 AM

Still curious, if Brown wasn't an aggressor; why Brown managed to get a flurry of bullets and yet Johnson made out with exactly zero? Dorian "Neo" Johnson perhaps?
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2014, 07:25 AM

I'm also having a hard time accepting that cops are "targeting" black people.

Some factors to consider from a law enforcement perspective;
  • You're free to avail yourself of any statistic you like -- the simple fact of the matter is that, easily the most violent neighborhoods in the US are predominantly African-American. Detroit, St Louis, Oakland, Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta, Baltimore, Stockton, Cleveland, Buffalo...
  • And the dominant trend cited in every one of these environments is a well-documented drug corridor and gang-violence around distribution and territorial disputes. These are also considered "open-air markets" where drugs are literally pedaled in the streets. Violence and drugs are inextricably linked.
  • What the cops are "targeting" is the very metric that calls their effectiveness and presence into question -- violent neighborhoods. Is it racist of the police when they're being called into these areas at higher rates? How many times when a brother or sister of ours is shot down do you see the candle-light vigil; "enough is enough", "stop the killing"... this is a direct reflection on the enforcement apparatus in those areas and their primary responsibility of "serve and protect" is rightfully called into question. Who is the first to be scrutinized when their city tops the charts in violence? Of course, the police.
  • While self-reported drug usage is similar between blacks and whites, why the disparity in arrest rates? Because more often than not the police presence is more prevalent in violent neighborhoods and open-air markets; both of which are dominated by African-Americans. Folks, this is not a racist observation, it is fact. Why the disparity in sentencing? School zones.
  • per FBI statistics, black incarceration indicates up to a 76% criminal involvement rate and while that leaves some 24% that could be construed as strictly race-based, it does not preclude the fact that the overwhelming majority of what is being deemed a "targeting" in fact, is not.
  • The drug charge is the one that "sticks". Per US DOJ - Black females experienced intimate partner violence at a rate 35% higher than that of white females, and about 22 times the rate of women of other races. Cops get called for a domestic dispute and once on the scene to stop the beating, no one wants to press charges or discuss how they were victimized. What do the cops do? Nail him with the charge that will stick. It gets him out of the household for at least a night or two and diffuses the volatile scene.
It is also important to note that the police are involved in incredible acts of altruism and responsible behavior that is not newsworthy. This thread will no doubt turn into yet another tired 'NN journal of police abuses with heightened calls for cameras and folks decrying "militarization", but what gets lost in all this muck and mire is the simple fact that they are responding in kind to the challenges posed to them. Bad actors? Oh you know it, but let's get some cameras in every public school classroom and at the desk of every government employee you're paying to "serve" you if you want to be truly horrified.

The PSA? Don't be a friggin' thug and your chances of unsavory encounters with the police will be little to none. Period.
ebuddy

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
The PSA? Don't be a friggin' thug and your chances of unsavory encounters with the police will be little to none. Period.
Dude… this is the most tone deaf thing I've seen you ever write.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 08:57 AM

Federal Lawsuit Seeks $40 Million in Damages From Ferguson Area Police - WSJ
A federal lawsuit alleges that police in Ferguson, Mo., and St. Louis County used excessive force and falsely arrested innocent bystanders amid attempts to quell widespread unrest after the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

The five plaintiffs in the suit filed on Thursday include a clinical social worker who said she and her 17-year-old son were roughed up and arrested after not evacuating a McDonald's quickly enough. A 23-year-old man said he was shot multiple times with rubber bullets and called racial slurs while walking through the protest zone to his mother's home. Another man said he was arrested for filming the disturbances.

The lawsuit seeks $40 million in damages. Attorney Malik Shabazz said it could be broadened to include additional plaintiffs. Officials in Ferguson and Clayton declined comment.
Good. Now let's see what becomes of this.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2014, 09:10 AM

Dude… this is the most tone deaf thing I've seen you ever write.
Interesting you'd use the term "tone deaf" for "brutally honest". I'll chalk this up to a problem with facts not buried in defeatism and antagonism.
ebuddy

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 09:20 AM

Interesting you'd use the term "tone deaf" for "brutally honest". I'll chalk this up to a problem with facts not buried in defeatism and antagonism.
Antagonistic and condescending, too!

Tell me, how does a non-thug black person avoid harassment from police?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2014, 09:40 AM

Antagonistic and condescending, too!

Tell me, how does a non-thug black person avoid harassment from police?
In keeping with the apparent melodrama here; I'm guessing "harrassment" means asking someone to comply with any aspect of civil order including walking on a sidewalk instead of down the middle of a street. In that case, there's nothing a non-thug black person can do because they're actively being hunted by homicidal-maniac cops, black and white alike.
ebuddy

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 10:12 AM

In keeping with the apparent melodrama here; I'm guessing "harrassment" means asking someone to comply with any aspect of civil order including walking on a sidewalk instead of down the middle of a street. In that case, there's nothing a non-thug black person can do because they're actively being hunted by homicidal-maniac cops, black and white alike.
Actually, if you're in this thread, I would hope you know it's about the treatment the residents of Ferguson and the media present, have received at the hands of the law for merely exercising their first amendment rights.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2014, 10:21 AM

Actually, if you're in this thread, I would hope you know it's about the treatment the residents of Ferguson and the media present, have received at the hands of the law for merely exercising their first amendment rights.
I'm indeed in this thread and I see no charges, only allegations. Of course you know that anyone can say anything. If you'd been reading my posts, you'd see that I've acknowledged that there are bad actors, but that they should not be used to define the whole of law enforcement.

Is throwing rocks at people and/or police a first amendment right? Molotov cocktails? Fireworks? Your citation indicates "widespread unrest" and all of these things have been involved. I'm not waiting for people to crack under immense pressure so I can indict their entire occupation as essentially power-hungry, homicidal maniacs out hunting minorities.
ebuddy

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 10:59 AM

I'm indeed in this thread and I see no charges, only allegations.
You have reporters being arrested, the police using excessive force for no justifiable reason, and the being released with no charges. And yes, there's video. The police chief hand waves the problem away as them "not knowing any better."

The cops were so antagonistic to reporters, the ACLU had to come to an agreement that yes, recording them is legal.

And as I posted above, enough people became fed-up with the treatment to civilians during protests that they filed a lawsuit. Now you may proceed to wave it away as the natural consequence of either an overly litigious society or some people looking to score a pay-day.

Of course you know that anyone can say anything.
Does this apply to cops as well, or do you give them the benefit of the doubt?

Is throwing rocks at people and/or police a first amendment right? Molotov cocktails? Fireworks?
Obviously not. Is that justification to suspend everyone's right to protest?

If you'd been reading my posts, you'd see that I've acknowledged that there are bad actors, but that they should not be used to define the whole of law enforcement.

Your citation indicates "widespread unrest" and all of these things have been involved. I'm not waiting for people to crack under immense pressure so I can indict their entire occupation as essentially power-hungry, homicidal maniacs out hunting minorities.
The irony being everything you say to justify the cops behavior could be used in turn to justify minorities, too. You say we shouldn't paint all cops as bad actors, but that is the assumption made of all blacks by cops. You say people cracking to immense pressure shouldn't be used to indict them, yet when blacks become fed-up with cop harassment, it's seen as proof of their violent tendencies.

---

Finally, you keep being clever and dodging my legitimate question. What does a non-thug black man have to do to avoid harassment and suspicion from cops?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 11:07 AM

Oh, it's worth noting that a local police department in Jennings was so overrun by corruption and racial animosity it was disbanded.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 11:11 AM

This thread will no doubt turn into yet another tired 'NN journal of police abuses with heightened calls for cameras and folks decrying "militarization", but what gets lost in all this muck and mire is the simple fact that they are responding in kind to the challenges posed to them. Bad actors? Oh you know it, but let's get some cameras in every public school classroom and at the desk of every government employee you're paying to "serve" you if you want to be truly horrified.
So are you against body cams? Because…? How about dash cams?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 12:41 PM

@ebuddy

As I mentioned above, having to consistently deal with the "bad actors" in a particular minority group prejudices you against the group.

This is one of the numerous psychological effects of being a cop which is rarely, if ever, addressed by police departments.

The cops deserve to be called out on their failure here just as much (if not more) than minority groups.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 01:26 PM

2 Cops Fired Over Ferguson Protests -- NYMag
St. Ann police Lieutenant Ray Albers, better known as Officer “Go **** Yourself,” has resigned after pointing his rifle at protesters in Ferguson and telling them, “I will ****ing kill you.” An internal inquiry recommended he either resign or be fired for the incident, which was caught on video, although the local police chief insists Albers raising his weapon was “totally justifiable.”
Officers from St. Ann, Glendale off the job after actions during Ferguson protests : News
Jiminez said that Albers raising his weapon was “totally justifiable.” Prior to the camera turning on, Albers had had water and urine thrown at him, Jiminez said. He then saw three men with bandanas in the crowd, and one of them had a gun. He then heard gunshots, but not from that gun. So Albers raised his gun. The three men started running, and then a crowd of people with cameras raised saw him with the raised gun and came toward him. They were “a whole bunch of what you'd call citizen journalists, who were sitting with cameras recording, waiting for something stupid to happen, which they got. They won on this one.”

Jiminez explained that Albers got scared when the crowd got close to him. “That's why he used those words,” he said. That still doesn't make the choice of words excusable, said Jiminez.

Albers had three past disciplinary incidents, Jimenez said, one in 1995, one in 1996 and another last year, when he "used a wrong choice of words with a resident, didn't let the conversation go when he should have." In the other incidents, a man came into a jail cell with jewelry on and Albers hadn't properly checked him, and once Albers accidentally released somebody who had a misdemeanor traffic warrant in another jurisdiction, Jiminez said.
---

A Glendale police officer suspended last Friday after commenting on Facebook that he thought Ferguson protesters should be "put down like rabid dogs," has been fired, officials say.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 01:33 PM

Note, the cops are being very clear the problem wasn't him raising his weapon.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 01:39 PM

Oh, it's worth noting that a local police department in Jennings was so overrun by corruption and racial animosity it was disbanded.
I'm entertained by the article coining the term "dissovle".

Is the racial angle in the video?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 01:47 PM

Note, the cops are being very clear the problem wasn't him raising his weapon.
That's the chief, and he doesn't speak for the board who recommended the officer leave. If it was up to the chief, he'd stay.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 01:48 PM

I'm entertained by the article coining the term "dissovle".

Is the racial angle in the video?
I don't know, I only read the article.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 01:51 PM

I don't know, I only read the article.

"(KMOV.com) -- The Jennings, Missouri city council decided to dissovle the police department and hand over operations to the St. Louis county police department.
The council said corruption inside the department led to this. Some cases involve missing money and a slew of internal investigations.
St. Louis county has been leading and staffing the Jennings police department since November, 2010, when Jennings' police chief retired."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 01:54 PM

What's the question? That I called a paragraph an article? Ok, I don't know, I only read the blurb.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 01:54 PM

That's the chief, and he doesn't speak for the board who recommended the officer leave. If it was up to the chief, he'd stay.
If the problem the board had was him raising his weapon, don't you think the chief may catch some heat for holding a press conference justifying the action?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 01:56 PM

If the problem the board had was him raising his weapon, don't you think the chief may catch some heat for holding a press conference justifying the action?
Are you kidding me? In NYC we had a police chief praising stop and frisk even after a court overturned it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 01:57 PM

What's the question? That I called a paragraph an article? Ok, I don't know, I only read the blurb.
That's the entire article. There's no racism mentioned. Not in the headline either.

The question is where did the racism accusation come from?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 01:59 PM

Are you kidding me? In NYC we had a police chief praising stop and frisk even after a court overturned it.
Courts don't fire you.

If the NYC chief is that cool with stop and frisk, then so is his boss.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 02:00 PM

That's the entire article. There's no racism mentioned. Not in the headline either.

The question is where did the racism accusation come from?
Changes by Jennings police department may show path forward for Ferguson’s force - The Washington Post

In early 2011, the tiny Jennings police department in north St. Louis County was reeling from a series of lawsuits and complaints that its officers had used excessive force on its black residents, including shooting at a fleeing car with a baby inside and striking and kicking a woman for making a joke.
When Fuesting and county police Capt. Troy Doyle arrived in Jennings as the temporary leaders of the department in late 2010, the 30-year chief had just resigned amid a federal-state investigation into missing police grant money. Within a few weeks of running the department, Fuesting and Doyle faced a community uproar when a Jennings officer shot repeatedly at an African American woman fleeing an accident scene in her car with her baby inside.

That day, Doyle removed the officer from the street, shared video of the incident with community members and publicly announced that the officer had violated the department’s excessive force policy. The officer resigned within the week.

Since taking over permanently that year, “We’ve had no lawsuits, no complaints of excessive force. Zero,” Fuesting said.
One reporter covering the protests for the Associated Press noted that Fuesting wore his name tag on the protest line, when many others had removed them.

“Lt. Fuesting is the only officer with his name tag on,” the reporter tweeted, attaching Fuesting’s picture. “ ‘I don’t take this off for anything.’ ”

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 02:00 PM

Courts don't fire you.

If the NYC chief is that cool with stop and frisk, then so is his boss.
Internal investigations isn't his boss.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 02:01 PM

But it looks like they can fire you, which is an important "boss-like" power.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 02:02 PM

But it looks like they can fire you, which is an important "boss-like" power.
This is piddling bullshit I just realized I don't want to argue. You think his line is official, I don't. End of story.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 02:03 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules