Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math???

Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math??? (Page 81)
andi*pandi
Sep 15, 2017, 03:04 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2017, 07:21 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2017, 09:14 PM

Not at all.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2017, 09:22 PM

Another BLM riot, shocking.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Another BLM riot, shocking.
As is typically the case you have no idea WTF you are talking about. The protests going down tonight are predominately white people. Just STFU until you can bother to get a clue.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2017, 11:53 PM

How offensive.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 09:11 AM

How offensive.
Cry me a river. And then go whine to the mods again.

But at the end of the day you have no idea what you are talking about. As is the case more often than not around here. All you want to do is slam BLM ... justifiably or not ... at every opportunity. But once again my city is in turmoil. And I really don’t appreciate your snide and uninformed comments.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 09:59 AM

What makes you think I reported anything?

Your city is in turmoil (has been for years now) because certain bad actors, many from outside the city, are whipping up a frenzy within an already emotional group of people to push multiple agendas, and to even financially profit (like those "ladies" who have made a fortune off selling special white ally safety pins for $50+).

It's a terrible thing, for all of America, and until we deal with the radical groups who are taking advantage of the situation, this will continue and escalate until we have a full-blown race war from coast to coast.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2017, 11:49 AM

I'll need better details to be sure but it sounds like a blind guy in Oklahoma got shot because he had a stick and was hard of hearing.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 01:49 PM

What makes you think I reported anything?
Because you would absolutely make a weak AF move like that. If a mod says otherwise I'll stand corrected. But I certainly won't be taking your word for it.

And just FTR this shows that unlike you I actually know WTH I'm talking about ....

On the seventh day after former St. Louis police officer Jason Stockley's acquittal, white people packed South Broadway in front of Busch Stadium to protest the decision while white Billy Joel fans squeezed past to cheer on the piano man.

The demonstration, coordinated by the same organizers as previous days, was originally billed as a "white allies only" protest. A later version of the online flier was updated to describe it as a call to action for "movement allies" in an attempt to be more inclusive. Regardless, the result was a shift from crowds that have been about half black people to a group that was primarily white.

Darrell Hayworth, 28, says he initially felt a little uncomfortable with the premise, but ultimately embraced the idea of allies stepping forward for a night.

"Unfortunately, some of us are being hit harder than others, and some of us have the ability to help," says Hayworth, who has protested nearly every day since Stockley, a former St. Louis police officer, was found not guilty of murdering in the 2011 killing of Anthony Lamar Smith.

The group of several hundred people met at Kiener Plaza downtown and soon headed onto Broadway, where protesters blocked the street before marching south to rally in front of the stadium.

"White silence is violence!" people shouted, sometimes shifting to "no justice, no profits!"
'Allies' Protest Outside Billy Joel Concert Draws Hundreds | RiverfrontTimes.com

The protests in STL have been very diverse from the beginning. And the most recent one was overwhelmingly white. And we all know why you slammed Black Lives Matter nonetheless. Moving on ...

OAW

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2017, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'll need better details to be sure but it sounds like a blind guy in Oklahoma got shot because he had a stick and was hard of hearing.
You can see how easy it would be for the cops to think he threatening them with the stick and then refused to obey their orders because he couldn't hear them. Either one of those is total justification for shooting someone right?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 22, 2017, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
The protests in STL have been very diverse from the beginning. And the most recent one was overwhelmingly white. And we all know why you slammed Black Lives Matter nonetheless. Moving on ...
Doesn't this argument fall apart if white people can be a part of BLM?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 02:58 PM

Because you would absolutely make a weak AF move like that. If a mod says otherwise I'll stand corrected. But I certainly won't be taking your word for it.
Couldn't care less, it's just fun to watch you make stuff up. Did you actually get reported and get an infraction?

And just FTR this shows that unlike you I actually know WTH I'm talking about ....

'Allies' Protest Outside Billy Joel Concert Draws Hundreds | RiverfrontTimes.com
The "White Alliance of Guilt" (aka. WAGs) are still part of BLM. You know that, right? Are you trying to say that you have to be black to be part of BLM? Because I gotta tell ya that's 100% wrong. Hell, if someone white even implied such a thing, the social media Left would hang them by their short hairs. I have a feeling that's what you're doing though, which says a lot about your position in all this.

Reminds me of feminists, half claim you can't be a feminist unless you're a woman, while the other half begs men to label themselves as feminists (the "He for She" stuff). It's so damned confusing that most of the male actors in Hollywood don't know WTF to say, so they just hide when feminism is mentioned, because saying any damned thing will get them in hot water. Now it's the same with race too, you can't just be neutral, or even a friend, you have to be an "ally", or some other pathetic crap.

Edit:
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Yep, someone else caught it too.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2017, 04:07 PM

Reminds me of feminists, half claim you can't be a feminist unless you're a woman, while the other half begs men to label themselves as feminists (the "He for She" stuff). It's so damned confusing that most of the male actors in Hollywood don't know WTF to say, so they just hide when feminism is mentioned, because saying any damned thing will get them in hot water. Now it's the same with race too, you can't just be neutral, or even a friend, you have to be an "ally", or some other pathetic crap.

Nobody said that combating racism or sexism was easy. What are you doing about it though?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Not especially. BLM as a “formal organization” is only a small number of individuals. At the grassroots level it’s more of a “rallying cry” or a “movement”. The whites who were protesting identified themselves as “allies” not “members”.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 05:14 PM

^^ Yes, especially. The whole deal with BLM is there IS NO formal organization. BLM is the movement, and people who believe in the movement are part of the movement, black or white. Care to take a stab at these again?

As is typically the case you have no idea WTF you are talking about. The protests going down tonight are predominately white people. Just STFU until you can bother to get a clue.
The protests in STL have been very diverse from the beginning. And the most recent one was overwhelmingly white. And we all know why you slammed Black Lives Matter nonetheless.
It's pretty obvious you think BLM can only be associated w/ black people, no whites allowed. Hell, some blacks may run the risk of "playing in the snow" if they get too close, eh?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 06:08 PM

^^ Yes, especially. The whole deal with BLM is there IS NO formal organization. BLM is the movement, and people who believe in the movement are part of the movement, black or white. Care to take a stab at these again?
:
Sure. This is akin to saying that someone who believes in "environmentalism" is somehow a member of the Earth Liberation Front. Or that someone who believes in "feminism" is somehow a member of the Women's Liberation Front. You have a rather transparent and annoying tendency to try to associate any and everyone who supports a certain philosophy or worldview with the most radical and lunatic fringe incarnations of it. Or even worse to try to associate anarchists, rioters, and criminal opportunists with the overwhelming majority of people who are protesting peacefully and holding a Black Lives Matter sign. It's a classic attempt at discreditation straight out of the COINTELPRO handbook. Because you are hostile to the very concept of what the Black Lives Matter movement is advocating.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 06:43 PM

Sure. This is akin to saying that someone who believes in "environmentalism" is somehow a member of the Earth Liberation Front. Or that someone who believes in "feminism" is somehow a member of the Women's Liberation Front.
Not even close. BLM is the movement, black and whites are a part of the movement, no matter how you try to spin it.

You have a rather transparent and annoying tendency to try to associate any and everyone who supports a certain philosophy or worldview with the most radical and lunatic fringe incarnations of it. Or even worse to try to associate anarchists, rioters, and criminal opportunists with the overwhelming majority of people who are protesting peacefully and holding a Black Lives Matter sign.
Oh ho, like the way the Left constantly attempts to paint all people on the Right as nazis? How you guys try to say that Trump is like Hitler, when it's obvious he's a merely a populist moderate?

BLM is a pro-black movement, and sometimes a violent one, at that. Trying to deny that is to ignore the riots that almost always break out when their protests reach critical mass. "Nope, don't pay attention to that church that was set on fire, or that store being looted, they're not with us!" Then on the other side you hear, "Don't burn our shit. Go out into the suburbs and burn their shit, we need ours!" It's pretty hard not to associate BLM with violence when so much violence breaks out at BLM demonstrations.

It's a classic attempt at discreditation straight out of the COINTELPRO handbook. Because you are hostile to the very concept of what the Black Lives Matter movement is advocating.
No one needs to discredit BLM or paint them as hostile, they do a good enough job of that on their own. You can always tell when BLM is stirring, look for the smoke.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2017, 06:47 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...olice-shooting
Police are not facing charges despite the fact that the body-camera footage captured officer Clinton Fox shouting “I’ll ****ing shoot you!” from a distance before he fired three bullets into Harmon, who was running in the opposite direction.
Salt Lake officials have claimed that the killing of Harmon was legal because the officers feared for their lives, even though the video, released to local media, revealed that Harmon was not advancing toward them.
The district attorney’s office claimed that Harmon said “I’ll cut you” and turned and faced officers with a knife as he was running. The video, however, raises questions about the narrative. Harmon cannot be heard making that threat and was running away from the officer, not facing him, when he was killed.
So, how the **** are we supposed to stop this from happening?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2017, 09:52 PM

Its my understanding that an overwhelming percentage of US cops are enthusiastic supporters of gun ownership. Does anyone else think that tallies up badly with their constantly being afraid of unarmed kids and people running away? They sound like paranoid nervous wrecks.

Its certainly starting to look like you need a much stronger police oversight. Perhaps some offshoot of the FBI or a new federal agency who do nothing but investigate officer shootings? At least that way they'd be less likely to protect crooked or incompetent cops since they wouldn't be their daily co-workers.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2017, 03:26 PM

A little over 3 years ago Dakar started this thread in the wake of the Ferguson uprising. For those who are interested a new documentary (which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival) has been released that showcases the protests from the perspective of the local activists and residents on the ground. You'll see many of the themes and issues that we've discussed in this thread laid bare.

Whose Streets? | IMDB.com

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2017, 12:08 PM

Notable for how unusual this outcome actually is.

It happened. A (former) cop is finally going to prison over the shooting death of an unarmed black man.

Michael Slager, a former South Carolina cop, has been sentenced to 19 to 24 years for the 2015 death of Walter Scott, an unarmed black motorist whom Slager had shot in the back during a routine traffic stop.

In the ruling delivered today, U.S. District Judge David Norton found that Slager had committed second-degree murder and obstruction of justice. Norton’s decision was delivered after Slager pleaded guilty to a federal civil rights offense. As ABC News reports, the guilty plea effectively “end[ed] the federal case against him and also resolv[ed] the state charges that were pending after the mistrial.”

This is the second time Slager has stood trial for the Scott’s death. Last year, Slager evaded justice when the former North Charleston cop’s trial ended in a mistrial.

As The Root reported earlier, the 36-year-old Slager could have been dealt a life sentence, in addition to a $250,000 fine for using excessive force during the routine traffic stop. While the 19-24 year sentence stops well short of that, the very fact of the prison sentence is anomalous: officers are rarely sent to prison for fatal shootings.

Last week, Slager’s lawyers attempted to use Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ faulty memory to excuse Slager’s erratic, inconsistent and untrue recollection of what happened in the moments leading up to Slager’s death. The ex cop had lied multiple times about the event, originally claiming he had shot Scott in self defense.

Cell-phone footage taken by a by-stander later revealed that Slager had, in fact, shot Scott in the back as he was fleeing from the cop.
Former Cop Sentenced to 19-24 Years for Shooting Death of Walter Scott | TheRoot.com

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2017, 01:20 PM

The rare case of Justice. Feels weird.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2018, 11:45 AM

And in other Ferguson related news, I've spoken about STL County DA Bob McCulloch on numerous occasions in this thread. In his 27 years in office he has never ONCE indicted a police officer for killing an unarmed black man. Well last night the chickens came home to roost. #ByeBob

Robert McCulloch's 28-year run as St. Louis County's elected prosecutor came to a stunning end Tuesday when he was upset by a Ferguson councilman who promised to reform the criminal justice system.

Wesley Bell, 43, earned 57 percent of the vote in the Democratic primary, according to unofficial results. With no candidate from any other political party in the race, Bell will run unopposed in November.

Code:
St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney (Democratic) 646 of 646 precincts reporting (100.0%) Name Votes Pct. Wesley Bell 103,018 56.6% Robert P. McCulloch 78,934 43.4%

"People say, ‘well you shocked the world.’ No. We shocked the world," Bell said to a crowd of supporters Tuesday night.

Bell said, "I don't believe in campaign promises. I believe in promises. So when we say we are going to expand diversionary programs, it's going to happen. When we say we are going to reform the cash bail program, it's going to happen."

This was the first time McCulloch had faced a challenger since the Ferguson protests that erupted over the killing of Michael Brown by a Ferguson police officer in August 2014. Protesters criticized his office for its handling of the grand jury inquiry into the killing of Brown. The grand jury brought no charges against Officer Darren Wilson.

McCulloch, 67, of Kirkwood, faced challengers in just three prior primary and general races.

With 90 percent of votes counted late Tuesday, McCulloch acknowledged a likely defeat, telling reporters he probably will retire. He said he has no regrets about how he handled the Wilson case.

Political observers gave Bell little chance, saying that McCulloch's 28 years in office and fundraising advantage made it nearly impossible for Bell to win.

"I'm in total disbelief," St. Louis University political science professor Ken Warren said late Tuesday. Warren had predicted McCulloch would cruise to an eighth straight term, given his tenure.

"Obviously Ferguson defined this election," Warren said. "Bell made his name through Ferguson, and (McCulloch) tarnished his name through his handling of Ferguson."

Bell acknowledged the influence Ferguson had in his run for office, telling a reporter, "Out of tragedy, comes opportunity. ... I'm a product of that evolution."

Bell has been serving his second term as a member of the Ferguson City Council. He ran for the prosecutor's job on a reform platform and pledged to put a new face on criminal justice in St. Louis County. McCulloch’s opponents, particularly in the Brown case, had portrayed him as too friendly to law enforcement, given his family ties to police. He was 12 when his father, a St. Louis officer, was killed in a 1964 shootout in the former Pruitt-Igoe public housing complex. McCulloch’s brother, nephew and cousin were city officers, and he has said he would have followed suit had he not lost a leg to cancer as a teenager.

McCulloch’s campaign focused on his experience of running an office of more than 60 prosecutors, compared with Bell, who has never prosecuted a felony case. McCulloch described Bell’s campaign as parroting the American Civil Liberties Union’s political agenda of elevating government watchdogs to power.

Bell, who is also the son of a police officer, promised to end the cash bail system for nonviolent offenders. Bell picked up support from national political groups. The ACLU did not overtly endorse a candidate in the race but released a statement after Tuesday's election saying voters "recognized the need for smart justice reform" and that it had spent $244,000 to educate voters about the candidates.

McCulloch rejected Bell’s criticisms that his staff routinely sought cash bail on minor offenses to keep people in jail, calling his claims “very hypocritical” considering Velda City’s history of “predatory” bail practices while Bell was a judge there. Bell also served as a municipal prosecutor in Riverview.

McCulloch has said his primary focus had always been on public safety and looking out for crime victims.

Bell said he would use data about crime, recidivism and other variables in the job. He also said he would assign prosecutors to specific geographic areas to improve relationships with individual communities.
Wesley Bell ousts longtime St. Louis County prosecuting attorney | St. Louis Post-Dispatch

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Aug 8, 2018 at 12:26 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules