Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MY preferences are gone, why?

MY preferences are gone, why?
Absltgreek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 02:39 PM

My preferences all erased for some reason, i'm running 10.2.4 on an 867 Tibook, I restarted because i was getting some weird behavior, namely safari not remembering preferences and aol and AIM not working. After I restarted, most of my programs are operating as if newly installed, what happened to my preferences?
Tibook 867 Combo 768mb (me)
Lombard 400 DVD (me also)
iBook 500 combo (Sis)
iMac DV (other sis)
Mac LCIII (RIP)

dillerX
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 02:41 PM

They went *poof* ?
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Absltgreek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 02:52 PM

something like that
Tibook 867 Combo 768mb (me)
Lombard 400 DVD (me also)
iBook 500 combo (Sis)
iMac DV (other sis)
Mac LCIII (RIP)

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by Absltgreek:
What happened to my preferences?
Were you running out of disk space?
In that case you'll lose all preferences of open applications. You should always keep a few GB of empty disk space.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 05:17 PM

General rule - never let an HFS+ disk get more than 85% full.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 07:43 PM

Yes: my finder prefs got reset, and my iTunes Prefs went wacko today from running out of disk space.

-Owl

MjP2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by Absltgreek:
My preferences all erased for some reason, i'm running 10.2.4 on an 867 Tibook, I restarted because i was getting some weird behavior, namely safari not remembering preferences and aol and AIM not working. After I restarted, most of my programs are operating as if newly installed, what happened to my preferences?

I had the exactly same thing. I restarted my iBook from the Apple menu, no force-reset that is. And when starting up, first thing I noticed was the Dock in the middle of my screen (not on the left where it usually is) with the original set of shortcuts.

Gradually I figured out that I had lost all of my prefs except for Mail and iTunes (which I had opened). Then all of a sudden iTunes quitted and restarted itself welcoming me to use it for the first time and asking me if I wanted to change my Internet settings. I didn't lose my playlists, though.

The Mail is another story. When I launched it, I still had everything working. I even received an email. Then, a couple of minutes later, all my mails (but the one just received) were gone. I quitted the program and relaunched it and the Mail welcomed me to use the program for the first time and asked me to give my mail settings. Not only annoying but also utterly wierd...

It might be the empty hard-disk space. At the time I used to have about 1 gig left of the 10 gig in total. After that I've freed up another gig of disk space and the problem hasn't reoccured.
ibook 500 'Matilda'

Forum Links
Forum Rules