Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWeb eating HDrive

iWeb eating HDrive
ehunt
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 10:50 AM

Not sure if anyone can respond as I haven't seen anyone else with this prob but everytime I use iWeb it eats up about a gig of hard drive space...then when I reboot there is a folder in the trash called "Recovered files" which contains a bunch of folders like this : com.apple.iWeb_1165_162270235_1, com.apple.iWeb__1165__162269696__9 etc... In these folders are bascially all the sites in iWeb. So the folders are full of the .png's and .tiff files which make the pages as well as all my iPhoto pics I added. I was hoping the iWeb update would solve the problem but it hasn't.

Anyone else with this problem or a work-around? I am not sure if I can re-install for fear of losing my sites. I have used Apple's Backup to save them but don't want to risk the fact they won't be accepted back in (workign on my brother-in-law's wedding site right now an can't afford to lose the ability to edit)!
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

zl9600
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 06:42 PM

I have the same problem, and my files for iweb have become humongous ugly monsters that is incredibly disappointing to me.

I really love iweb and how it's basically avoiding the crap-ass-nightmare of sticking WYSIWYG tools on top of the same old problematic tables, etc in HTML. (don't bust on me, people, i'm a web designer--i just found with i web a way to put together a very elegant site in 10 minutes vs. 2 hours)

This is an issue. I could nto figure out why my HD avail space was shrinking by the second. And now I found the culprit. Granted, a 1.0 software product for consumers at this stage... but it's hiding some very ugly behavior that average users won't understand that can compromise their machines.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2006, 03:03 PM

After a bit of snooping around, it seems that iWeb stores all of the data for it's web sites in ~/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites (you have to open the Domain.sites file via "Show Contents") to see all of your pictures, etc.

ehunt  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 02:39 PM

Hey zl9600, okay if I'm not the only one hopefully Apple will update this soon! I was worried somehting ws up with my HD and not iWeb. I have to agree with ya, I love playing around with iWeb and have made some sites I am pretty happy about very quickly, my only issue is how the pages load slowly sometimes (online), not sure if this is the html or use of .pngs of the web.mac servers but for a 1.0 product it's great! msuper69, wonder if there's something up with the way that data location works that makes it replicate itself and dump itself into the trash?
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 03:29 PM

check the apple discussions on their support site. if there isnt a thread about this yet, start one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules