Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread

Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread
que_ball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 01:02 AM

Ok, found any honest bugs in the latest Apple OS? (not talking applications and compatibility issues)

Here is mine. It's not so big but there is a spelling error on the machine name area of the sharing preference pane. When you enable the use dynamic global hostname featue they seem to have a spelling error with Bonjour. (spelled boRjour).

Anyone know what this dynamic global hostname feature actually does? I couldn't find any info on it.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 01:15 AM

Not sure if its a bug but...

Safari --> Preferences --> Tabs --> "Always Show Tab Bar" IS MISSING!

Am I alone in always wanting to see the tab bar?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 02:10 AM

Tried to reply but "the server was busy" - I sense the presence of a Leopard.

Anyway, as I was trying to say, no, I very much like having the tab bar always showing so the window never has to resize - I'll be searching high and low for the option .

My PowerBook is 70% complete checking the DVD for consistency before installing Leopard ... yay me!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 02:28 AM

Geez, I still have to wait 19 hours.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 02:46 AM

Not a bug either but this has popped up every hour. Not sure how to turn it off; not time machine...but just the dialog.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by AppleOptionFour View Post
Not sure if its a bug but...

Safari --> Preferences --> Tabs --> "Always Show Tab Bar" IS MISSING!

Am I alone in always wanting to see the tab bar?
View > Show Tab Bar

Originally Posted by AppleOptionFour View Post
Not a bug either but this has popped up every hour. Not sure how to turn it off; not time machine...but just the dialog.

That's odd. I only saw that window the very first time I enabled Time Machine. That said, I had to do that FOUR times in order to get everything working properly.

nycdunz
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 03:11 AM

not a bug, but my dock disappears and reappears often when i install programs, kinda annoying....

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 03:12 AM

Sounds like it's being killed and then restarts.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
View > Show Tab Bar
Yep, it works .

All installed and coming to grips. Transluscent menubar appears to have been fully abandoned, and it's going to take some getting used to without the blue at the ends. Aqua toolbars remain, in case anyone was still wondering .

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 04:32 AM

Gah, still using 10.0's progress bars. Oi Apple, oi.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 04:48 AM

FTP in Finder still struggles, and I can only imagine it's still read-only, although that can be quite a relief. I did get Finder to relaunch after it entered perma-beachball when I tried to disconnect from the ftp share; it did not relaunch until it had thought for a few minutes and then told me the share had been disconnected - this is exactly the sort of thing I thought people said was much better .

In other, less pertinent news, 3d dock is growing on me and I've opted for the Garden Palace desktop, with which it looks quite nice.

Software Update fails to connect - "index-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog" couldn't be found on swscan.apple.com. I'm guessing this has to do with my sneaky time zone and will come right in about 19 hours .

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 05:25 AM

iTunes dashboard widget is seriously mucked.up for me. I could reliably crash it all throughout Tiger's life, and reported the issue every point point upgrade. Now it doesn't see any playlists, then tells me that iTunes is not open, then just flat out crashes with a dialog. Maybe 10.5.1?

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
Transluscent menubar appears to have been fully abandoned, and it's going to take some getting used to without the blue at the ends.
Not really. Maybe your Mac doesn't have a capable GPU?

In my opinion the new Menu Bar is one of the best things of the new GUI. It actually looks very slick in the GM, compared to those early betas.

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
Now it doesn't see any playlists, then tells me that iTunes is not open, then just flat out crashes with a dialog. Maybe 10.5.1?
It isn't showing any playlists here either. My guess is because iTunes hasn't been updated for Leopard yet.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 07:29 AM

In my opinion the new Menu Bar is one of the best things of the new GUI. It actually looks very slick in the GM, compared to those early betas.

It isn't showing any playlists here either. My guess is because iTunes hasn't been updated for Leopard yet.
Huh, didn't think of incapable GPU. This machine is a 12" PowerBook 1.5GHz with the GeForce Go5200, and System Profiler says "Hardware Accelerated" for Core Image. Actually I think that's a step up, in Tiger I'm pretty sure it just said "No". Either way, my menubar is solid grey.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 07:40 AM

Fixed.
( Last edited by Kar98; Oct 26, 2007 at 03:39 PM. )

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 07:49 AM

Not a bug, I used Software Update two days ago and it worked perfectly on Mac OS X Leopard. I think Apple is updating the servers or something like that.

kilechki
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 08:19 AM

The stupidest "enhancement" to the Finder could qualify as a bug.

Audio files in column view can't be previewed anymore with a slider to choose the position of audio playback. It's a single, black square with a "play" button, which very slowly loads the whole file before being able to play it - without a way to fast forward. If the file is a huge mp3, it takes about 1 or 2 minutes on my G4 before being able to hear the beginning of the song.
Exact same behavior in "preview" pane of the info window, in coverflow and in quick look.

*stupid*

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Gah, still using 10.0's progress bars. Oi Apple, oi.
You don't even know the half of it.. *shakes head*
What Macs don't have? If the Mac is supported then ALL features should be. I've always hated when Apple did that. "You can run the new OS on your computers, but all the neat little new stuff will only run on certain higher end Macs that people just purchased not too long ago"

Apple was never like that till OS X.

They started this with the drop shadow on the cursor bit. Saying only certain computers could display it. But then someone called their bluff and came out with a hack that let anyone have that drop shadow'd cursor.

The "splash" effects, and others. I understand certain hardware is needed etc. But they do this basically to make people feel "left out" so they will go out and buy new hardware. I call this guiltware.

I wont fall for it.
( Last edited by Kevin; Oct 26, 2007 at 08:40 AM. )

smitty825
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 08:37 AM

Not sure if I'm the only one seeing this or not, but during my install, my keychain was deleted from ~/Library/keychains/

Luckily I have a fairly recent backup, and hopefully I'm the only one to have this problem. So far, no other issues.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by smitty825 View Post
Not sure if I'm the only one seeing this or not, but during my install, my keychain was deleted from ~/Library/keychains/

Luckily I have a fairly recent backup, and hopefully I'm the only one to have this problem. So far, no other issues.
Yeah when I hit install yesterday I backup everything in case 10.5 did buggy crap. I haven't had time to actually muck with it to find any real bugs yet.

I remember I flooded Apple with bug reports when 10.0.0 came out. This update is a pretty large update.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 08:47 AM

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 08:53 AM

Kar98 keep a lookout in this link if you are interested in getting that fixed.

But that isn't really a "bug" and lets not derail the thread with GUI complaints. There are other threads of the like.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
The Aqua scrollbar? Yes, so much for GUI consistency. Did Apple even notice iTunes and iPhoto scrollbars before claiming this is Leopard? Somehow, I think Leopard was rushed just to get it out today.

darkscout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 10:28 AM

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. And this was in the latest Developer's release I haven't gotten Final yet but...

I use Terminal to chat in IRC. You used to be able to hold the Command key and double click on any URL and it'd open. I think you could do this in any window to a URL back through OS 9.

Doesn't seem to work now.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 12:53 PM

If you put magnification on on your Dock and open a Stack, it does not allign properly when you take the mouse off the Dock (and onto the Stack).

It's hard to explain, but the Stack follows the Dock while you're mousing over the Dock, but once you go to the Stack, the Dock Magnification goes away, and your Stack stays where it was when the dock was magnified, not where it is now.

ehunt
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 03:24 PM

Ummm, updated and stuck on a blue screen on restart...
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 03:24 PM

I know what you mean... and that sucks.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 03:29 PM

Mouse Issues, and tabbed browsing issues for me...

I have a Razor Pro v1.6 and I can no longer use my macro keys to close windows, and no longer use the center scroll wheel button to open a window in a tab in the background...NOR scroll in windows I can't right click either... my mouse is acting like a one button mouse!!!

oddly, I have Razor software v1.6.6 and they only have 1.6.5 on the website... maybe a downgrade would fix it... i will try and report back... I use those features more then anything else, they are missing and it makes me angry...

EDIT: downgraded mouse drivers and it still does not work, everything works with the mighty mouse however, although I hate that mouse... and still cannot get the razer macro buttons to work, although razer is primarily a windows gamer company, so not to surprised!

EDIT#2 The razer Pro site has a e-mail signup for a leopard driver update! SWEET!! hopefully they will fix it soon!

Zach
( Last edited by phantomdragonz; Oct 26, 2007 at 07:14 PM. )

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 03:59 PM

Does anyone use Backup.app? I can't seem to make my backups work now. Everytime I try to backup something, it gives me the error message: "The backup archive is in use and can't be ejected." I'll see if reinstalling the app helps.

Update: Reinstalling backup seems to have worked for me.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 04:29 PM

None on the Unsanity hacks work anymore. And from what I've recently been told, probably wont be working in 10.5 at all. Apple has gotten a bit strict about system patching. I guess they found a big security flaw in the way such things were being implemented. So the blocked out the way applications that need that APE programming jazz. The system "Checks" somehow. And when things don't match, it stops working.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 04:31 PM

I've got weird instances where Spaces is somehow triggered even when it's not enabled. I use the Terminal a lot and the default keybinding of CTRL-ArrowKey interferes with text navigation. Anyone else hitting this?

It doesn't work right away (e.g. launch Terminal, and navigate using CTRL-ArrowKey), but after a while, Spaces is somehow triggered.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
You don't even know the half of it.. *shakes head*

What Macs don't have? If the Mac is supported then ALL features should be. I've always hated when Apple did that. "You can run the new OS on your computers, but all the neat little new stuff will only run on certain higher end Macs that people just purchased not too long ago"

Apple was never like that till OS X.

They started this with the drop shadow on the cursor bit. Saying only certain computers could display it. But then someone called their bluff and came out with a hack that let anyone have that drop shadow'd cursor.

The "splash" effects, and others. I understand certain hardware is needed etc. But they do this basically to make people feel "left out" so they will go out and buy new hardware. I call this guiltware.

I wont fall for it.
So you think it's better to drop support altogether of older Macs rather than to scale down some of the visual eye-candy?

Or the other way around where people who bought more recent hardware are stuffed because the OS doesn't take advantage of it?

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 07:06 PM

My MacPro froze up not once but twice right after I installed 10.5

to make matters worse, I'm having a hard time getting time machine to work with tons of disk space to spare!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 07:42 PM

Apparently the drop shadow on Dock icons ends below where the label is.

It's also noticeable when the Dock isn't magnified.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 07:56 PM

Developers need to take that into account and lower the Dock badge by a few pixels. Seems easy enough to fix.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 08:09 PM

I haven't setup Mail yet (waiting for my Gmail to go IMAP). Could someone check to see if Mail's Dock badge's shadow is also cut off?

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 08:33 PM

I think I found a little Finder bug (surprise).

I inadvertently downloaded 2 copies of Growl-1.1.1.dmg via Safari (while Camino was downloading).

--Both images automounted upon successful download and showed up in the sidebar in a finder window. However, when I ejected one of them, they both remained. When I ejected the second one, one of them left and one remained as an item in the sidebar that had to be manually removed. Strange.

--If I try and replicate this behavior, the one I "poofed" from the sidebar no longer shows up. But that means it no longer shows up. Annoying.

--All kinds of strange behavior here, in fact.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I haven't setup Mail yet (waiting for my Gmail to go IMAP). Could someone check to see if Mail's Dock badge's shadow is also cut off?

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ~bash $ View Post
I think I found a little Finder bug (surprise).
--Both images automounted upon successful download and showed up in the sidebar in a finder window. However, when I ejected one of them, they both remained. When I ejected the second one, one of them left and one remained as an item in the sidebar that had to be manually removed. Strange.
This happens to me sporadically also. Ejecting the volume does eject it, but it leaves the icon on the Desktop still. Only way I can make it go away is if I double click on the icon. I can't replicate it easily, though.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 09:52 PM

So you think it's better to drop support altogether of older Macs rather than to scale down some of the visual eye-candy?

Or the other way around where people who bought more recent hardware are stuffed because the OS doesn't take advantage of it?
Is the people that buy the new harder really going to suffer cause when they launch a widget it doesn't look like it dropping in water? (which annoys me BTW)

But that really wasn't my point. In a lot of cases the hardware CAN support it. Apple just blocks it to a certain point so those that haven't bought hardware in awhile feel "guilted" into it , or obsolete because it wont display the latest eye candy.

Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 09:54 PM

Heck the water effect is still a tiny bit jumpy on my Intel iMac.

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 10:37 PM

( Last edited by Reggie Fowler; Oct 27, 2007 at 10:26 AM. )

Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 10:39 PM

1) Leopard doesn't have Sherlock, although it is interesting that they actually deleted it.
2,3) AOL? Poo. Plus, it's BETA.
4) That seems to be a widespread issue. Just be glad Leopard didn't lock down your computer, like it did to some...

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 11:21 PM

Another bug, this one with X11.app, it seems. And reproducible.

Any app window that is floating above an xterm window in X11.app ... when your focus is not X11 and you cmd+tab to X11, the window will not come to the top, though the "focus" is on the xterm window. Annoying!

Tested with Camino 1.5.2, Finder, Adium, iChat.

--------------
Another bug: Dock + X11.app
Drag X11.app to the dock. Click on it in the dock. On my system, it opens up in another Dock item instead of just "activating" the permanent one. Click on the permanent one just brings up the same process, however. Silly Apple.
( Last edited by ~bash $; Oct 27, 2007 at 12:23 AM. )

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2007, 01:47 AM

Delays on everything. I've got a Mac Pro with 6GB of RAM, X1900XT yaddy, yaddy. I'm not used to delays. Delays are from waiting for pull down menus mostly but also bouncing between applications. I didn't turn on Time Machine so I don't think the delays are from something indexing the four HDDs in my Mac.

Bugs:

1) My Minolta MC2530DL color laser printer driver is incompatible with 10.5. it was great with 10.4.10. I just fired an email off to the minds of Minolta.

2) If a Safari browser is left on the desktop and not touched for a little while, when touched again, it refused to work. It must be closed and a new Safari browser window opened to work again.

3) It takes ages to fire up Disk Utility (because it seems to want to spin up my HDDs but doesn't) and to check and repair permissions.

4) The keyboard shortcut <command-i> get info doesn't seem to work. The menu command File > Get Info does work.

Add to the list.
( Last edited by EricTheRed; Oct 27, 2007 at 01:58 AM. )

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
Delays on everything. I've got a Mac Pro with 6GB of RAM, X1900XT yaddy, yaddy. I'm not used to delays. Delays are from waiting for pull down menus mostly but also bouncing between applications. I didn't turn on Time Machine so I don't think the delays are from something indexing the four HDDs in my Mac.

Bugs:

1) My Minolta MC2530DL color laser printer driver is incompatible with 10.5. it was great with 10.4.10. I just fired an email off to the minds of Minolta.

2) If a Safari browser is left on the desktop and not touched for a little while, when touched again, it refused to work. It must be closed and a new Safari browser window opened to work again.

3) It takes ages to fire up Disk Utility (because it seems to want to spin up my HDDs but doesn't) and to check and repair permissions.

4) The keyboard shortcut <command-i> get info doesn't seem to work. The menu command File > Get Info does work.

Add to the list.
Are you able to reproduce these? cmd+i works ok for me. Sounds like a lot of those might be related to indexing?

beez1717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 02:50 AM

Itunes seems to have some display problems as thus: Notice how the color changes around any textbox/checkbox.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2007, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by beez1717 View Post
Itunes seems to have some display problems as thus: Notice how the color changes around any textbox/checkbox.
Hmm, another one that I'm not able to reproduce. Any weird stuff installed? Or does it happen after restarting iTunes/Leopard?

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2007, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by ~bash $ View Post
Are you able to reproduce these? cmd+i works ok for me. Sounds like a lot of those might be related to indexing?
After a restart <command- i> on the keyboard is working.

Safari browser window becomes inoperable only after I try to print, which spits out the message "A printing error occurred" after the print job spools to the print manager but before the print manager opens or the printer responds by warming up.

nycdunz
Senior User
Oct 27, 2007, 04:01 AM

this is annoying the hell out of me! every time i quit an app, the dock disappears and reappears! sigh, i did a clean fresh install too... what gives? i'm on a dual 2.7ghz g5 powermac if that makes a difference, anyone else have this problem?

Forum Links
Forum Rules