Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook or Pro? Matte or Glossy?

Macbook or Pro? Matte or Glossy?
DDar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2007, 11:46 PM

Well, I'm getting a laptop from my parents for Christmas. I originally planned on getting a Macbook, but it sounds like the Macbooks were severely nerfed by the incorporation of Leopard. Not to mention I plan on maybe someday playing games on it...

You see, my main reason for wanting to buy a laptop is so I have a machine that will run photoshop CS3 along with my Wacom tablet quickly and without lag. Now, my options for a laptop are the white Macbook (2nd tier with 160 GB HDD and 2GB RAM) or the 2nd tier Macbook Pro (No real extra's here. Except for maybe Matte or Gloss). Now, as I have said, the main use for it (at the beginning anyways. Later I may play some videogames and watch movies on it) will be digital painting and use as a "notebook" for school (I'm tired of real paper. I keep on losing my notes. T_T). So I'm wondering, which of the two do you thing will be best for me? Which do you find to be the most bang for your bucK? Is the Macbook Pro REALLY worth it?

Also, if the Macbook is the best, which would you recommend? Matte or Gloss? I've seen Gloss screens on alot of HP computers and the colors are stunning. However, I've heard that they are bad for art as they over exaggerate colors and Matte screens are better for artwork. However, I've heard Matte screens are unreadable in the sunlight (I live in a very sunny place so that MIGHT be a problem. <.<), but that they have more "real" colors (whatever that means).

What mainly worries me about Matte is that the screen looks dull, old and ugly. I'm going to be staring at this screen for a LONG time. I want it to be at least nice, y'know? =(

So what do you guys think? Can ya help me? =(

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2007, 12:02 AM

MBP for the screen area.

Ignore everything you read here about matte vs glossy and go try both for yourself. Find friends with each or other ways to see each display in the environment you'll actually be using it in.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2007, 12:04 AM

Is it true that Leopard makes the MB a bit sluggish? I personally haven't made the switch but I haven't really seen any complaints.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 10, 2007, 12:06 AM

You posted this in the Mac Pro forum. I told you not to cross post and informed you that you posted it in the wrong forum. Then I locked it.

You then proceeded to cross post it in the MacBook Pro forum. Knock it off plz.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

DDar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2007, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
MBP for the screen area.

Ignore everything you read here about matte vs glossy and go try both for yourself. Find friends with each or other ways to see each display in the environment you'll actually be using it in.
Unfortunately for me, that's not possible. =(
I only know people with Glossy screens and as I said, I have no Apple store here.. ._.

DDar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2007, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
You posted this in the Mac Pro forum. I told you not to cross post and informed you that you posted it in the wrong forum. Then I locked it.

You then proceeded to cross post it in the MacBook Pro forum. Knock it off plz.
I just wanted an opinion from both sides. =(
That's all.

ankurcd
Dec 10, 2007, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by DDar View Post
Now, my options for a laptop are the white Macbook (2nd tier with 160 GB HDD and 2GB RAM) or the 2nd tier Macbook Pro (No real extra's here. Except for maybe Matte or Gloss)...
Can ya help me? =(
the difference between Macbooks and Macbook Pros are not just the screen... if you are looking at playing games and doing high end graphics work...you should go for the Macbook Pro as it has a better graphics capability in its "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor with dual-link DVI support; 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM on 2.2GHz configuration..."

As for the screen... if you do not have an Apple store or reseller in your area... have a look at an HP Brightview and an old IBM/Lenovo TFT... you will know the difference and can decide what you want...
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2007, 04:48 AM

I've got a MacBook, and I'd say go MacBook Pro, glossy.

The MacBook's resolution is alright but a bit tiny for older eyes. Also, the built-in graphic card is useless for gaming and really lags when using Aperture and other pro applications.

Keep in mind you're paying $1000 for a good video card and a slightly bigger screen. You can build a pretty good PC for that much. I built up a gaming PC for next-to-nothing, since I'd rather not be carrying around $2000 that could easily be stolen or dropped.

ankurcd
Dec 14, 2007, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by redhot_nyc View Post
I've got a MacBook, and I'd say go MacBook Pro, glossy.

The MacBook's resolution is alright but a bit tiny for older eyes. Also, the built-in graphic card is useless for gaming and really lags when using Aperture and other pro applications.

Keep in mind you're paying $1000 for a good video card and a slightly bigger screen. You can build a pretty good PC for that much. I built up a gaming PC for next-to-nothing, since I'd rather not be carrying around $2000 that could easily be stolen or dropped.
Hey "redhot_nyc" - can ya share the specs on your gaming desktop and how much it cost you? please...
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

iMan G5
Dec 14, 2007, 07:03 AM

If you want any of your photos in cs3 to look correct buy a matte screen. IE a Macbook Pro with a matte.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ankurcd View Post
Hey "redhot_nyc" - can ya share the specs on your gaming desktop and how much it cost you? please...
$1000 buys you a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Quad, 4GB DDR2-800, good case/PSU, nVidia 8800GT 512MB, and an Intel P35 motherboard. I already have an optical drive and hard drive, but together they're only about $100 if you don't.

redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2007, 06:01 AM

You can get a PC for super cheap. Older single-core systems are alright. All they need is a decent graphics card ($100+) and they'll play anything except Crysis or Bioshock.
( Last edited by redhot_nyc; Dec 19, 2007 at 06:16 AM. )

iMan G5
Dec 19, 2007, 07:16 AM

Well I am in the same boat now. I'm hopefully getting a macbook/pro after next summer when Momentiva (sp?) comes out. I am stuck between the blackbook and base macbook pro. Hopefully they bump the graphics to 256mb in the MBP and I will go there most likely because I do some video editing of my own, pixelmator work, and some other light work. I also do some games but they are older but the MBP would just kill the MB in that as well...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2007, 10:01 AM

I don't know what you mean about 10.5 'nerfing' the MacBooks, but I'd have to disagree though. I've been running 10.5 on my MacBook and it's handling it perfectly well.

I moved down from a 17" PowerBook because I prefer having a 24" monitor at home (1920x1200) and still having a very portable laptop. My MacBook is my work and home computer and it gets plugged into my monitor when I'm at a desk.
I found that while the screen sizes of the PowerBooks were nice the smaller MacBook and external monitor is much nicer if you plan to take everywhere.

I play all my games on my consoles.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by iMan G5 View Post
Well I am in the same boat now. I'm hopefully getting a macbook/pro after next summer when Momentiva (sp?) comes out.
Montevina!

garretwd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by DDar View Post
You see, my main reason for wanting to buy a laptop is so I have a machine that will run photoshop CS3 along with my Wacom tablet quickly and without lag. Now, my options for a laptop are the white Macbook (2nd tier with 160 GB HDD and 2GB RAM) or the 2nd tier Macbook Pro (No real extra's here. Except for maybe Matte or Gloss). Now, as I have said, the main use for it (at the beginning anyways. Later I may play some videogames and watch movies on it) will be digital painting and use as a "notebook" for school (I'm tired of real paper. I keep on losing my notes. T_T). So I'm wondering, which of the two do you thing will be best for me? Which do you find to be the most bang for your bucK? Is the Macbook Pro REALLY worth it?
i haven't had a lot of personal time with CS3 myself, but apparently it works better with (A) a larger screen... duh... and (B) faster is better. Including the dedicated graphics memory.

MacBook Pro with matte screen then?

dustrho
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2007, 09:39 PM

I've never really been a fan of glossy screens, and my last laptop (a Sony Vaio TR3A) had a glossy screen that was awful when used outside or on a train (I have an hour-long commute to my office). If you use it primarily indoors a glossy screen is fine, but I would discourage anyone from getting one for a laptop and instead go with the matte.

I just got the 15" MBP with the matte screen and it's gorgeous!

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

nyatzz508
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2007, 11:06 PM

if I had the choice, I would go with the pro with the glossy screen. They have the available memory and the graphics that you need, and the screen I don't think is really that big of a deal. I have a macbook that I use to run CS2 on and it works just fine while a buddy of mine has the glossy screen running CS3, which also works just fine. The only difference that I am able to notice is the screen in the sunlight, which the glossy one is a bit easier to read, but the matte one I have isn't that hard to read unless you are in direct sunlight.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2007, 04:54 AM

When I first heard of glossy Mac screens I was living in Africa. I cursed the thought of it. Then I saw one, owned one on a MacBook, and came to love it. The glossy screen on my brother's MacBook pro is great. The two 'books totally changed my opinion about glossy screens enough for me to be comfortable getting a new iMac with its super-glossy glass.

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2007, 10:52 AM

As long as you keep the glossy screen clean, you should enjoy it. I have compared my 15" MBP to my classmate's 17" MBP. Hers has a glossy screen and mine is matte. In almost exactly identical locations (like literally sitting next to each other on the desk), with similar screen angles and viewing angles, the only difference I saw was that hers shows fingerprints and dust easier. Both were bright and clear, both have good color. Other classmates have MacBooks with glossy screens, and they are great too. Just keep it clean.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tomster2300
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 02:11 PM

I'm getting a Macbook for Christmas, but I do have a glossy screen on my current Compaq laptop. I've never been bothered by any kind of reflections that people complain about. It's there, but it's not apparent when you're in a normal work setting. When you're out in the sun or have a light right behind you then you may notice something, but it's enough to make me wish I didn't have it.

I'm glad I got the glossy when I did, and I'm glad the new Macbooks include them as well. Just remember to make sure you keep them clean like previously mentioned. They do pick up fingerprints and smudges pretty easily, so you might want to look out for them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules