Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Parallels Desktop 9 due in September, featuring Mavericks support

Parallels Desktop 9 due in September, featuring Mavericks support
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 19, 2013, 10:37 AM

Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac will ship the first week of September, Parallels has announced. One of the primary features will be optimization for OS X Mavericks, which has yet to be released, but has been in beta for some time and may be launched as soon as next month. At the moment, Desktop 9 is itself in beta testing.

Other enhancements will include copy and paste support for OS X virtual machines, and a better Coherence View, which gives Windows apps the appearance of running natively on a Mac. Parallels has also made improvements to creating and customizing keyboard shortcuts, and installing Windows on a Mac without a DVD drive -- important because Apple has been stripping optical drives from the Mac lineup.

Anyone buying Desktop 8 between today and October 31st will be eligible for a free upgrade to Desktop 9, so long as they have a dated proof of purchase. The former costs $80 new, or $50 as an upgrade from Desktop 6 or 7.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2013, 11:09 AM

...I bought this to try & run snow server given Apple's decision to orphan rosetta (and working access to decades of past digital assets and client archives) - there were numerous issues and have yet to make such to work...

The OSX copy/paste issue was also confirmed in v8, contrary to any reasonable interpretation I might make from the feature list represented by the marketing material. Is this a bug fix sold as an upgrade ?

Unfortunately it was very disappointing & time costly experience for this user... I recommend couching ANY expectations as relates to MacOS virtualization for this software with a thorough demo...

Is Apple becoming a pariah to the eternal institutions of Library, Museum and Archive ?
( Last edited by bobolicious; Aug 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM. )

Jeff75
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2013, 11:54 AM

I've been using Parallels 7 for some time and find it to work very well. I didn't upgrade to 8 because 7 worked so well. With the advent of Mavericks, I will have to upgrade to 9.
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

farhadd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2013, 12:02 PM

Does anyone know if they'll ever develop a new version of Parallels Server for Mac? We're still stuck using 10.6 VMs because it doesn't support anything newer than that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules