Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WarCraft III problems... need help

WarCraft III problems... need help
wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2002, 11:11 PM

Alright, I just got done with the Orc campaign and I just finished watching the Orc ending cinematic (which btw, was the best in the game so far). But after it shows you the screen where it shows your resources and stuff and you click ok, it locks up on me. I get this black screen with the night elve's hand on it, but warcraft 3 locks up. I don't really think it's a memory problem since I have 256MB of RAM on my machine and I allocateed 220MV to Warcraft 3. Any thoughts?

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2002, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by wANCO tHE sANE:
Alright, I just got done with the Orc campaign and I just finished watching the Orc ending cinematic (which btw, was the best in the game so far). But after it shows you the screen where it shows your resources and stuff and you click ok, it locks up on me. I get this black screen with the night elve's hand on it, but warcraft 3 locks up. I don't really think it's a memory problem since I have 256MB of RAM on my machine and I allocateed 220MV to Warcraft 3. Any thoughts?
Did you wait a little longer? I got the same black screen with night elves cursor but after waiting for like 5 sec then it finally load the information screen.

If nothing appeared, could you force quit without any problems?

BTW, whats your computer setup? Mine's TiG4 400mhz w/ 512mb of RAM.

wANCO tHE sANE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2002, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I actualy waited and left the black screen for about 10 minutes (I took a shower hehe) and it was still that black screen... I can't force quit out of WarCraft III but I can hit apple+tab and switch to the finder. But then if I switch back to WC3, everything gets absolutely frozen. i'm on an iMavc DV G3 400mhz, 320 mb of RAM (with 220 of it allocated to WC3)

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

zorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
BTW, whats your computer setup? Mine's TiG4 400mhz w/ 512mb of RAM.
Hum, Rev A Ti-er playing WC3? I own a Ti500 Rev A myself but was putting off WC3 .. didn't think it'd be playable .. how is it for you?
~ Mike
--
Personal Site: MikeZornek.com
Other Interests: WebDevWiki.com

slapdash
Aug 4, 2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by zorn:

Hum, Rev A Ti-er playing WC3? I own a Ti500 Rev A myself but was putting off WC3 .. didn't think it'd be playable .. how is it for you?
I too have a rev a tibook, though at 400. Was also putting off buying War 3 and finally just broke and bought it Here are my impressions.

Under OS X run it at the lowest resolution, in 16-bit, with everything set to low graphics-wise. If you do that it runs at a speed that is somewhat good. The problem is the Ti's video board and OS X's slow display. It looks a bit fuzzy but plays ok.

My advise is to boot to 9 and play it that way. I run it under 9 at 640 but at 32-bit and raise the graphics options a bit. Still works fine. You can actually play smaller maps at 1024 but it does chug a bit from time to time.

Buy it if you liked War 2 or Starcraft, its worth it.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2002, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by slapdash:
Under OS X run it at the lowest resolution, in 16-bit, with everything set to low graphics-wise. If you do that it runs at a speed that is somewhat good. The problem is the Ti's video board and OS X's slow display. It looks a bit fuzzy but plays ok.

My advise is to boot to 9 and play it that way. I run it under 9 at 640 but at 32-bit and raise the graphics options a bit. Still works fine. You can actually play smaller maps at 1024 but it does chug a bit from time to time.
My OSX run WC3 horribly but run excellent in OS 9. There's some slowdown in OS 9 but it's pretty playable. Some of the slowdown are to blame for my high losing streak. Here's hoping that Jaguar will make everything better than OS 9. When I get enough money, I'll borrow my bro's G4 Tower and buy a GeForce Ti 4. I bet Unreal Tournament 2003 won't be playable on my setup at all

wANCO tHE sANE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2002, 04:31 PM

I'm running it in os 9.2.2

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2002, 01:48 PM

Quit your b****ing... I played it on an iMac 350 MHz with320 MB of RAM under OS 10.1.5 and was still able to get through the human and undead campaign without losing once... Then I decided it took too much room on my Hard Drive (Well actually I relised I didn't have enough space left to save my new CD on my Hard Drive) so I took it off. I need a new Hard Drive so I can put my Media on an external Hard Drive and keep my Games and Apps on my internal 7 Gig one.

wANCO tHE sANE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Quit your b****ing... I played it on an iMac 350 MHz with320 MB of RAM under OS 10.1.5 and was still able to get through the human and undead campaign without losing once... Then I decided it took too much room on my Hard Drive (Well actually I relised I didn't have enough space left to save my new CD on my Hard Drive) so I took it off. I need a new Hard Drive so I can put my Media on an external Hard Drive and keep my Games and Apps on my internal 7 Gig one.

Hey man, what the hell is your problem? I'm asking for some help, not your sob story. A$$.

[edit] okay, maybe i took that the wrong way, but .. stuff.. [/edit]
( Last edited by wANCO tHE sANE; Aug 8, 2002 at 04:09 PM. )

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2002, 01:06 PM

I had a really bad day yesterday but really, some of you are acting like you need a dual 1 GHz machine just to play a game.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2002, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
I had a really bad day yesterday but really, some of you are acting like you need a dual 1 GHz machine just to play a game.
Yeah, I'm acting like I need a dual 1 GHz just to play Metal of Honor

If you're having bad day almost daily then you really need some help

wANCO tHE sANE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2002, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

Yeah, I'm acting like I need a dual 1 GHz just to play Metal of Honor

If you're having bad day almost daily then you really need some help

What I really need help on is trying to play the elf campaign on warcraft 3...

Forum Links
Forum Rules