Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > I'm looking for a certain Script

I'm looking for a certain Script
wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2002, 12:04 PM

Hey, I'm planning to start a website that's dedicated to having episode reviews of a certain TV show. What I'm planning to do is having a review for each separate episode, and also have users post their own review and rate it. Is there any cgi/perl script that will automatically post up a user review along with it's rating, have a "Average user rating" type thing, and post it on a webpage?

To give you guys an example, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of cNet's download.com where they have a user reviews section and an average rating..

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

irish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2002, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by wANCO tHE sANE:
Hey, I'm planning to start a website that's dedicated to having episode reviews of a certain TV show. What I'm planning to do is having a review for each separate episode, and also have users post their own review and rate it. Is there any cgi/perl script that will automatically post up a user review along with it's rating, have a "Average user rating" type thing, and post it on a webpage?

To give you guys an example, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of cNet's download.com where they have a user reviews section and an average rating..
Well, that depends on your hosting situation. What you are looking to do would be orders of magnitude easier using a database. Do you have access to PHP perhaps? And MySQL? Simple listed reviews would take a beginner about an hour to whip up, and if you go to HotScripts you will probably find many examples there as well.

Its not that it can not be done with Perl, but personally I feel storing and retreiving data in such a way is a poor use of the technology, and way more stressful on the server than it needs to be.

That said, have a look at HotScipts linked above, or use one of the following:

CGI Stuffs

Matt's Script Archive

The CGI Resource Index
CGIScript.netp

PHP Stuffs
PHPBuilder
Zend
the people wander around and suppose,
while the secret sits in the middle and
knows.

wANCO tHE sANE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2002, 12:53 PM

Well, as for the server I'm still looking and thinking. Thanks for all the links, I'll go through them and check them all out. Thanks again.

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2002, 09:46 PM

I've just written pretty much exactly this in PHP and MySQL, for my website Scifi Minds. (The new version's not up yet though - probably be on Friday if all goes well).

It wasn't too hard, and the code is pretty easy to understand. If you're interested, contact me and I'll try and help you out.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules