Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Isn't the ripple a bit much?

Isn't the ripple a bit much? (Page 2)
Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2005, 01:25 PM

Unless your computer is less than a year old, you wont see them anyhow.

Or unless you have upgraded your graphics card.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
Unless your computer is less than a year old, you wont see them anyhow.

Or unless you have upgraded your graphics card.
WRONG!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2005, 06:25 PM

Depends, if you have a G5, yes.

A G4 tower, no.

Unless you have upgraded your card.

You know they stopped selling G4s not even a year ago right?

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 06:51 PM

Depends, if you have a G5, yes.

A G4 tower, no.

Unless you have upgraded your card.

You know they stopped selling G4s not even a year ago right?

Shame you didn't say any of that before, now your just back-peddling and trying to make me look stupid. Typical

yes I did know the G4 desktops haven't been selling for a long time, I know because I own a G5.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2005, 07:48 PM

No, I wasn't packpeddling. You just knee-jerked and assumed.

And they sold G4s for awhile after the G5 came out.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 07:55 PM

No, I wasn't packpeddling. You just knee-jerked and assumed.

And they sold G4s for awhile after the G5 came out.
Ya so, what you initially said mentioned nothing of G5's.

So feel free to yammer on all you like, you were wrong with that post.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 08:19 PM

Get a room guys

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Ya so, what you initially said mentioned nothing of G5's.
It mentioned nothing of any computer.
[
So feel free to yammer on all you like, you were wrong with that post.
How was I wrong?

I was wrong because you assumed I meant something when I didn't?

I we now wrong because we don't meet up to your assumptions?

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Get a room guys
Oh he is just pissy he got all cocky with his "WROONG" or whatever, then I proved him wrong and now he is spazzing out like he always does the many times he has been proven wrong.

It's sad.

ericwass  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2005, 02:12 PM

Nerd Fight! Nerd Fight!!!!!
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 23, 2005, 02:15 PM

Oh he is just pissy he got all cocky with his "WROONG" or whatever, then I proved him wrong and now he is spazzing out like he always does the many times he has been proven wrong.

It's sad.
Imagine how happy the Zimph will be when a Jesus widget comes out that walks on the ripples!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2005, 02:38 PM

How was I wrong?
You said, "Unless your computer is less than a year old, you won't see them." This means that anyone with a computer 1 year old or more will not be able to see them. If somebody with a computer that old can see them, your claim was wrong. The Omega G5, which Apple discontinued right about a year ago, had a CoreImage-capable card (according to MacTracker). Therefore, your claim was wrong. I don't see why this is such a big deal.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2005, 04:58 PM

Uh.. guys... My Powerbook is two years old and CoreImage works fine on it.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

loki74
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 08:55 PM

I dont like the effect personally... it would be alright if 3 things were to happen:

-the ripples go behind the widget
-the ripples have a lower amplitude
-the widget doesnt have to wait for the ripple to finish to display the information. Its not like i need the weather in a millisecond or i'll die or somehting, but it just makes it fell, well, clunky i guess. I mean, Im used to having to have my PC catch up with me. The way that its displayed makes it seem like the widget has to wait for the ripple to finish. Seeing as how the ripple is live, the widget should be updatable while the ripple is happening.

what would make this really cool, is if the size of the widget affected how much of a ripple it made. of course, it would have to be in moderation, but it would be pretty cool, i think.

Regarding longhorn, windows will never be as intuitive as OSX. The things they would have to change in order to make the interface as efficient would be gaping wounds on their ego. (ie putting the window bar at the top, killing the taskbar...) They've put themselves into a rut and I think they know it. Sure you can tout a faster chip on a PC, but all the processing power in the world won't matter if the user is slowed down by a crappy interface.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2005, 09:03 PM

No way. I don't know what I would do without the little VirusScan guy yelling things at me from the taskbar all the time. I would be so lonely.
Chuck
___

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 23, 2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Yup. The PowerBook G4 1.25" 15" came out in Sept. 2003, and it would work fine for Core Image.

maverick808
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2005, 10:56 PM

Personally, I really dislike the ripple. I have a mac mini and a powerbook. The powerbook does the ripples while the mini does not. First time i saw the ripples i though wooah cool and i was really happy the powerbook could do it. Now i wish i could turn them off on the powerbook. The main reason is that the widgets do not even begin to load until the ripple stops. And i am constantly dragging on widgets to make new notes, do multiple conversions and i frequently drag on an extra calculator if i have to work out and remember two numbers at once. So i see the ripple a lot and the three useless seconds it takes is just stupid.

I've taken to dragging a widget on and then quickly clicking it just as i let go which seems to stop the ripple (it thinks i'm moving the widget). There should definitely be an option to turn the ripple off permantely because it's just an annoyance to me and i'm sure others will feel the same after a few days use.

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
Imagine how happy the Zimph will be when a Jesus widget comes out that walks on the ripples!
priceless.

piracy
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 11:46 PM

I literally cannot believe this.

You people are talking about this, STILL, and not ONE PERSON has said that if you just freaking click, on the widget or anywhere else, the effect stops immediately.

So why in the living hell are you still bitching about this completely worthless topic??

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2005, 11:47 PM

It has to wait for the ripple to finish? That's crazy. Feedback, y'all.
Chuck
___

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 23, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I read completely the opposite and the first preview I saw in person wasn't like that. If you click on the widget the ripple ends abruptly.

Back OnT, I'm sure someone will come out with a disable ripple hack. Even a disable Dashboard hack.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Right, Zimph is wrong and is babbling on about me being awaire that the G4's haven't been made for a year.

Back-peddling

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 24, 2005, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Right, Zimph is wrong and is babbling on about me being awaire that the G4's haven't been made for a year.

Back-peddling
Right. He was talking about Power Mac G4s which were around a year and a half ago but were old reduced price stock.

maverick808
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2005, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by piracy
...not ONE PERSON has said that if you just freaking click, on the widget or anywhere else, the effect stops immediately.
I said it at the start of the second paragraph in my post just a couple above yours. This is what I know do. However, it's still annoying as hell to have to now make an extra click. Why isn't there an option to just turn it off?

And before someone replies with "oh is the extra click really that much effort"... yes, it is.

piracy
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
No, it doesn't.

As I just said.

Of course, this is ridiculous, since it only happens the first time you open a widget, which you will presumably keep open (unless you choose not to use it), which is the whole purpose of Dashboard.

But, you can click immediately after placing the widget, which stops the effect, and allows immediate use. On top of which, the ripple doesn't actually interfere with the operation of that, or other, widgets! They're still functional during the ripple, which lasts less than 3 seconds!

This is inline with bitching about the genie effect, or zoom windows in the classic Finder. There CANNOT, and NEVER WILL BE, unlimited configurability of everything to suit everyone's retarded tastes. Some third party, like Unsanity, will come up with a hack that disables the Dashboard ripple, and then you can be content placing Dashboard widgets without ripples and frantically resizing Finder windows until the end of time, as that is apparently the primary purpose for your computer with how concerned you are about it.

trip
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2005, 02:22 AM

No, it doesn't.

As I just said.

Of course, this is ridiculous, since it only happens the first time you open a widget, which you will presumably keep open (unless you choose not to use it), which is the whole purpose of Dashboard.

But, you can click immediately after placing the widget, which stops the effect, and allows immediate use. On top of which, the ripple doesn't actually interfere with the operation of that, or other, widgets! They're still functional during the ripple, which lasts less than 3 seconds!

This is inline with bitching about the genie effect, or zoom windows in the classic Finder. There CANNOT, and NEVER WILL BE, unlimited configurability of everything to suit everyone's retarded tastes. Some third party, like Unsanity, will come up with a hack that disables the Dashboard ripple, and then you can be content placing Dashboard widgets without ripples and frantically resizing Finder windows until the end of time, as that is apparently the primary purpose for your computer with how concerned you are about it.
So... you're saying it shouldn't be turned off ?
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

lenox
Senior User
Apr 25, 2005, 02:15 PM

On top of which, the ripple doesn't actually interfere with the operation of that, or other, widgets! They're still functional during the ripple, which lasts less than 3 seconds!

Hmm. The video from Apple shows the widget waiting to load until the ripple is done. Is that not the case now?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2005, 02:21 PM

Technically, Zimp is wrong because Mac minis and eMacs count as desktop computers and they are G4s.

Though it must be a good sign if all people are complaining about is the eye candy in the OS.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

piracy
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by lenox
Hmm. The video from Apple shows the widget waiting to load until the ripple is done. Is that not the case now?
Most widgets need to have focus in order to function. This requires a mouse click event. If you click on the widget, the ripple effect stops immediately.

Further, even if you wait for the ripple, you'll notice that any widget that currently has focus continues to work and accept input, e.g., from the keyboard.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 02:59 PM

Most widgets need to have focus in order to function. This requires a mouse click event. If you click on the widget, the ripple effect stops immediately.
This is bad UI. Since you dragged and released a Widget with the mouse to create it, it could have keyboard focus right from the beginning without requiring an extra click. Applications have keyboard focus too when they are started.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 03:16 PM

I have a Rev A G4 PB 17"...will I see the ripple with this?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
The ripple effect should be between the widget but not effecting widgets at all. Like as if the desktop were water on which the widget would be floating. Then the ripple effect should be on all the time. That would be cool.

yeah, i agree that it shouldnt affect other widgets around it. it blurs those widgets, making them unusable during the duration of the effect. would be nice if it just affected the background and not the other widgets (and the bounce wasnt so pronounced on the newly opened widget).

would be neat if the water ripples reflected off other widgets it encounters too, but that'd just end up one big rippled mess!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ericwass  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lancer409
would be neat if the water ripples reflected off other widgets it encounters too, but that'd just end up one big rippled mess!
Then the whole thing would end up looking like those computer models of the Indian Ocean tsunami and we'd all get really bummed everytime we used Dashboard.
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

trip
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ericwass
Then the whole thing would end up looking like those computer models of the Indian Ocean tsunami and we'd all get really bummed everytime we used Dashboard.
Or better yet: make the ripples bounce back off the widgets causing the original ripples to diminish. In effect this would mean the more widgets the less the ripple and at some point you would have no ripple in effect.

Now that would be very cool. Don't want the ripple ? just make sure you have enough widgets !

edit - well you'd have to make sure all widgets put out a ripple when a widget is dropped on in order to completly cancel out the ripple !
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 26, 2005, 05:14 PM

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 26, 2005, 05:17 PM

Right. He was talking about Power Mac G4s which were around a year and a half ago but were old reduced price stock.
My whole point was really, Apple not supporting a computer they sold not even a year ago.

That is sad, sad, sad case when your computer becomes "Obsolete" in less than a year now.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2005, 05:26 PM

My whole point was really, Apple not supporting a computer they sold not even a year ago.
Apple supports computers they sold not even a year ago. Some computers they sell don't support hardware accelerated CoreImage, but everything these computers can do, they still can do with Tiger. By no means does Tiger obsolete these computers.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2005, 05:29 PM

Heck, Mac minis are "obsolete" as soon as you buy them by that reasoning.
Chuck
___

loki74
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 10:26 PM

No, it doesn't.

As I just said.

whoa man... didnt mean to offend you there.
A couple of things. First and foremost, yes, it does. Watch the video of it on Apple.com. As you drag out the widget, it has dashes or blanks in all the fields, until the ripple finishes. Then, the data is loaded. Secodnly, Genie Effect and Zoom windows? Well I almost never use the Zoom button. As for Genie, that doesnt slow me down any--it doesnt take more than 1 second, and it makes the interface more realistic--youre taking something and putting it somewhere. The widgets all are affected by the ripple; this is not realistic, and insted of adding to my user experience, it distracts from it.

Sure, someone will come up with a hack, etc. But i think the thing really is that this is not typical of Apple.

With regards, from your retarded friend who spent $3000+ on a Mac just so he could play with Dashboard widgets and frantically resize Finder windows,
-loki74

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 26, 2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
whoa man... didnt mean to offend you there.
A couple of things. First and foremost, yes, it does. Watch the video of it on Apple.com. As you drag out the widget, it has dashes or blanks in all the fields, until the ripple finishes. Then, the data is loaded.
I would guess this is just to do with the time the data takes to load from the time you drop it onto the dashboard, and the ripple has nothing to do with it.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 12:16 AM

The ripple is a bit much.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2005, 03:32 AM

Windows 95 had an Open GL screensaver that warped and rippled the desktop. Worst screensaver ever. Ten year old technology that can be done on the CPU but now you need a Core Image supporting GPU to do it. Corporations rule at making you get the latest and greatest technology.
i liked that scn-svr!
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2005, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by CatOne
c'mon. How often are you ACTUALLY adding a widget? Like 2x a month? You tend to add them, and then they're on the dashboard.

Sure, it's eye candy, and it's necessary, but unless you're actually TESTING 500 widgets, you're never going to be doing it.
Yeah but what if you are testing widgets. I think it should be a hidden (CLI) but documented option. Maybe it is an undocumented option
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

rpark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 04:14 AM

OMG U GUYS ARE TOOO PICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its almost like nit picking at a clock for having the minute had being an extra .1 cm long when u want it to be .1 cm shorter!!!!!

WHO GIVES!?!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 07:04 AM

So will I see the effect on a 12 inch pbook rev. b?
12.1" Powerbook G4

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 27, 2005, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Apple supports computers they sold not even a year ago. Some computers they sell don't support hardware accelerated CoreImage, but everything these computers can do, they still can do with Tiger. By no means does Tiger obsolete these computers.
Apple sees CoreImage as one of the main features in OS X. A lot of computers that are new don't support this.

That's flaky.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tiger. But Apple has a habit of doing this very thing to boost hardware sales since OS X came out.

Not that big of a deal, but still flaky.

winterlandia
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 07:44 AM

I too thought the ripple was nifty at first but now wish I could just turn it off. I actually like the non-ripple expanding widget effect much better on my older computer. The effect I do like is the widgets flipping over when you modify the settings.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 27, 2005, 07:49 AM

Yeah I am sorta glad I don't have the ripple effect.

That would get annoying.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 09:29 AM

Mac users care.

It's not simply being picky, but being picky about something we care deeply for; the continued growth and success of our platform. Even the smallest details matter to someone who uses a Mac a lot, as this thread goes to show.

We don't want Apple adding silly-looking tech demos willy nilly a la Microsoft. Apple computers are about getting work done, though there's also the argument they're about getting work done elegantly.

--
I haven't used Tiger so I don't know what to say... I think the ripple effect may be a little too much from the demos I've seen, though.

trip
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 09:33 AM

I must say:

I LOVE THE RIPPLE !

GO APPLE GO!

Forum Links
Forum Rules