Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > IBook G4, 512MB vs 768MB vs 1.25GB

IBook G4, 512MB vs 768MB vs 1.25GB
denis_carlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2005, 06:52 PM

My iBook has 512MB (Arrives this week) but I've read how memory hungry Mac Os X is. How much of a difference in normal usage will the above configurations make?
I use office, internet, iTunes, rip Music, DVDs, will do some Video editing later.

Thanks, in advance.
Denis

macman88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2005, 07:15 PM

my ibook came with only 256. i added another 512 about a month after. it made a huge difference. in your case, with already having 512, the jump to 768 will not be much different. if you are not running any ram intensive applications, photoshop, final cut, garage band, then you should be fine. if you are, i would recommend purchasing a 1gb chip. my $.02
ibook g4, 1.33ghz, 768mb

iggyboy2
May 13, 2005, 02:28 PM

I had a 1 ghz with 768 and now have a 1.2 with 1.25 gb of ram. Huge difference. Zippy, very little spinning beachball effect. Yes it is a slightly faster processor, but I think its more to do with the ram than just the .2 ghz
( Last edited by iggyboy2; May 13, 2005 at 02:29 PM. Reason: I wish I could type...)

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2005, 02:54 PM

i'm running a 1.2ghz with 768 ram, and see the beachball very rarely, but that said i don't do anything particularly intensive (ie. no photoshop, final cut...). i expect more would help for video editing but aside from that i'd guess that you'll probably be fine with less. then again, if you can get cheap ram you can't go wrong, eh? (make that, if you can get cheap ram that runs well then you can't go wrong, and god knows that a lot of issues people have seem to come from crappy ram).

sminch

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2005, 10:13 PM

I have a 933Mhz and 1.128 GB of ram. I also do a lot of DVD compressing and I do a little cartoon nothing to intensive but the extra from 640 to what I have know made a difference that I like and feel that it was worth it.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

tae667
Forum Regular
May 16, 2005, 05:22 AM

I have iBook 933MHz with 640 MB of ram and I think I see too much swapping in Tiger. I think I'll buy 1GB stick soon...

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 06:08 AM

Video with 512 of ram?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Video with 512 of ram?
By video editing he could mean simple stuff in iMovie.

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2005, 09:30 PM

I have a 1.2 with 768, I had the stock 256 in it for around 5 months without much problem. I have noticed a slight speed increase in specific applications such as Route 66. Everyone hypes RAM upgrades so much around here, I didn't think it was that significant.
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 09:42 PM

get as much ram as you possibly can, its always the best.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

artaxerxes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 10:20 AM

I ran 256 mem for a year which was entirely acceptable for MS office apps, surfing and even MATLAB coding. I recently plonked in an extra 512 in preparation for Tiger. Still under Panther the difference is very pleasing - beachballing is a thing of the past. However it was perfectly useable with 256. No video editing or Garage Band attempted though.

If you are going third party - the Crucial 200 pin SODIMM 2700s are *cheaper* than the 2100 SODIMMS they link in the guaranteed APPLE compatible 2100 SODIMMS. If the 1GB module seems cheap enough go for it... but stick with the 512 for 6 months. Just to enjoy the contrast... and get the maximal saving.
MacBook C2D 1.83GHz 1Gig 120GB Shuffle 512MB

ChasingApple
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 03:19 PM

My Clamshell currently is running Tiger with 320MB of ram, speedy over here! Honestly though when I got my iMac G4 1.25Ghz machine last year it came with 256MB, I saw that damn beachball all the time. I upgraded to 512MB and things were better right away. After about a year with 512 I noticed DVD ripping / Decoding etc apps were slow, and caused any other App to beachball from time to time, so I just upgraded it to 768MB total and now the beachballs are all but gone even while encoding / decoding.

Truth is, your system (depending on the software you have / use) will perform differently depending on what ram you have installed. Give it a try with the 512MB and see how it performs, only add memory if you see lots of beachballs and want that snapiness there

For now I am keeping my iBook at 320MB, nothing being run on it is intensive enough to make me shell out $100 to max it to 576MB
iMac G4 / Macbook

one sick puppy
May 18, 2005, 08:42 PM

IBook G4 1ghz. I had stock 256 to start, was curious about the same question and decided to dump the extra 512 in there and nope, didn't notice much difference. Less beachball, for sure, but certainly not nearly enough to lend truth to the idea that OSX is a memory hog.

With that said, however, the most important thing is what you do with your Mac and how you use it. I use it mainly for text writing (Word 2004), dictionary, World Book 2004. Certainly not memory hungry apps.

I turn my IBook off and on often, so most of my beach ball is from initial loading of applications. I don't see the beachball when the programs are actually loaded.

ChasingApple
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 11:12 PM

I must also note that while I saw lots of beachballs in my year of Panther, I have not seen many at all even with only 320MB of ram on my Clamshell with Tiger. Tiger seems to be very very optimized!
iMac G4 / Macbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules