Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > AppleWorks 6.2.7 Updater is out....

AppleWorks 6.2.7 Updater is out....
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2003, 08:09 PM

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2003, 08:21 PM

Thanks, man!

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 08:28 PM

nice, now for a test run

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2003, 09:53 PM

cool, it's been a LONG time since we've seen an appleworks update.

fitter
Senior User
Apr 23, 2003, 10:15 PM

You really have to wonder why they're bothering. This update does nothing to change the overall sense that AppleWorks X is quick and dirty port. I wrote my thesis using AppleWorks in OS 9, and while it's encouraging to see that they continue to develop it, it's disappointing to see that the application itself has not evolved into a more desirable and useful tool.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2003, 01:18 AM

Patience, grasshopper.

AW6 is a quick and dirty port. That's why there isn't going to be a AW7.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 04:23 AM

*mumble* I miss Claris Works */mumble*
we don't have time to stop for gas

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 05:44 AM

The update is North American English only.

Can anybody post some screenshots of 6.2.7? What's new? Does it support Quartz text smoothing? Has it new Aqua icons/UI elements finally?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

niji
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2003, 10:33 AM

yes, ameriEnglish only.
can not be used to update the International English version.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Does it support Quartz text smoothing?
Not that I can see.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Not that I can see.
That's trivial to implement since 10.1.5. Just one line of code and a checkbox in the preferences maybe.

What can you see that is new?

Live window resizing? Does the zoom button still jump to 200% (which is sillyly large for the next zoom step)? Decent airbrush brush finally? Live window resizing? Long filename support? Anything?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

gorickey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2003, 10:50 AM

There is no "glaring" new things from what I can tell, the Read Me and product update description says it all. No new icons, no faster speed, no new "splash/About AppleWorks" screen (which there should be to match the new AppleWorks box design IMHO)...

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2003, 11:01 AM

:

Live window resizing? Does the zoom button still jump to 200%
I don't use it enough to know what is new versus old. However, there is no live resizing and the zoom doesn't jump to 200% for me.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 11:02 AM

The update is North American English only.

Can anybody post some screenshots of 6.2.7? What's new? Does it support Quartz text smoothing? Has it new Aqua icons/UI elements finally?
I mostly only use word processing but I don't see anything new. They still haven't even made the bold/italics/underline buttons active-inactive. It's hard to believe that this is the best Apple can do, unless one concludes that Apple is protecting the market for Office.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I mostly only use word processing but I don't see anything new. They still haven't even made the bold/italics/underline buttons active-inactive. It's hard to believe that this is the best Apple can do, unless one concludes that Apple is protecting the market for Office.
Yes, this all sounds a little bit disappointing considering they worked - how long? - six months on it.
But at least the zoom in button doesn't jump to 200% now, so that I don't have to go through that "special" dialog just to zoom the document to 125%. I just hope the zoom window widget now finally works with zoomed in documents.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I think they might be trying to feel out what M$ is doing with the new version of office for Mac
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

veldmon
Apr 24, 2003, 12:21 PM

Can someone explain the sorry state of the color palette in the "Painting" portion of AppleWorks? Is there no way to enter RGB numerals? Is there no way to get an exact color?

It seems that the only (very crude) way to get any kind of color selection is to use the 'tint' button incessantly. Micro$oft'$ simple little Paint program that comes with Window$ allows you to enter RGB numbers to get an exact color. What is the deal with AppleWorks? Can someone enlighten me?

This is the only problem that has ever frustrated me with the Mac. I grind my teeth all the time wondering why there is not a simple way to get an exact color. I consider this to fall under 'multimedia', so I'm beginning to think that Micro$oft is the computer multimedia king. I hope I'm wrong!

If any UNIX nerds know the answer, I will gladly accept it from you too.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 02:07 PM

AW is snappier? now.

RussS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2003, 04:03 AM

Can someone explain the sorry state of the color palette in the "Painting" portion of AppleWorks? Is there no way to enter RGB numerals? Is there no way to get an exact color?

It seems that the only (very crude) way to get any kind of color selection is to use the 'tint' button incessantly. Micro$oft'$ simple little Paint program that comes with Window$ allows you to enter RGB numbers to get an exact color. What is the deal with AppleWorks? Can someone enlighten me?
The Color editing capabilities in Appleworks are too numerous to explain here. The best way to learn about them is to open Appleworks Help and do a search on "changing colors" to learn more.

This will get you started though:
Hit Cmd-K. That opens the Accents window. Choose a palette from the drop down menu and/or double-click the color you want to change. Experiment with the many ways to edit the color.

Consider yourself enlightened!

veldmon
Apr 25, 2003, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by RussS:
The Color editing capabilities in Appleworks are too numerous to explain here. The best way to learn about them is to open Appleworks Help and do a search on "changing colors" to learn more.

This will get you started though:
Hit Cmd-K. That opens the Accents window. Choose a palette from the drop down menu and/or double-click the color you want to change. Experiment with the many ways to edit the color.

Consider yourself enlightened!

I have been enlightened. All it takes is a double click on one of those little color boxes (except the white one) in the "Accents" window. It then opens up the "Colors" window. Next go into "Color Sliders" and choose "RGB sliders" in the drop-down menu. That is where the advanced color manipulation takes place. I thank you for your help.

sgrup
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2003, 09:26 AM

what is the reason for not releasing the same versions of AW northamer and international?

can anyone enlighten me pls

s

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 25, 2003, 02:01 PM

This isn't an OS X-specific problem. It's not even part of the OS. Please post software threads like this in the Software forum. Continue this discussion in the existing AppleWorks 6.2.7 thread in the Software forum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules