Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Password-Protecting a Folder?

Password-Protecting a Folder?
poingferret
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2001, 03:46 PM

Hey, does anyone know of a shareware or commercial program that will allow me to password-protect a folder?

poingferret

yoyo52
Mac Elite
May 26, 2001, 09:52 PM

Try this: first, put whatever you want into the folder; second, stuff the folder so it's a single file; third, use the encryption software that's on your HD in the Security folder. The Apple File Security app will do the job you need.

------------------
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Cipher13
May 27, 2001, 07:32 AM

I wrote a Folder Actions password script ages ago... I'll see if I can dig it up for ya.

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

druber
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2001, 12:05 AM

or just use dropstuff to password-protect the archive. hassle if you're moving things in and out of the folder very often. depending on the level of security you need, you could even just use resedit or snitch to make the folder invisible. no password, but unless they know where to look, they probably wouldn't even think to look. unless they're reading this. in which case, well no, don't.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2001, 02:14 PM

There's a shareware program called Secret Folder that can make a folder invisible. The program can be password protected, although it isn't quite the same as password protecting the folder. I'd be interested in seeing Cipher's script, though.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2001, 12:32 AM

If memory serves me, there used to be a program that came with Norton Utilities called "Encrypt." That should serve you fine, assuming it can encrypt entire folders. But I don't know exactly where you could find it anymore, or if it'd work on your OS. But if you run across a copy, try it out.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

<Food>
Jun 10, 2001, 01:34 PM

On Guard (poweronsw.com) isn't perfect (you can bypass it) but it does the job for me, just make sure theres no power users around (pun not intended).

Forum Links
Forum Rules